The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Shapeways is not a "part copying" service but a printing service. You'd need to 3D scan the part or produce a CAD drawing first before getting it printed. If it's just part-copying that you are interested in then no need to go down the 3D printing route: just try resin casting.

HTH

Shapways is just a printing facility.

You'll need to use one of the 3d design programmes to design the object, then send the data files to Shapeways, who will then print it for you.

They won't design something for you.

It might be worth asking Jason if he could make the data that he has got for the interior available so someone could modify it to give the full coach interior.

Luke

It might be worth asking Jason if he could make the data that he has got for the interior available so someone could modify it to give the full coach interior.

The CAD is Rapido's intellectual property so I don't think we should really be pressuring them to release it to 3rd parties. I honestly think resin casting is the way to go here for the small number of interiors required. If you've never done it before, now is the chance to learn!

Guy

Those rivets look fabulous, very well done, its just the paint that's too course!

It's too sparkly, it needs to be a lot flatter.

cheers

I should probably have pointed out that this was painted using whatever they had in the paint gun at the time.... I just wanted to make sure that the rivets didn't disappear under the paint! Also, they were photographed outside in sunlight which tends to accentuate any metal flake in the paint. The decorated units will be closer to the earlier samples seen here: 

Bill

Edited by rapidobill
  • Like 2

I should probably have pointed out that this was painted using whatever they had in the paint gun at the time.... I just wanted to make sure that the rivets didn't disappear under the paint! Also, they were photographed outside in sunlight which tends to accentuate any metal flake in the paint. The decorated units will be closer to the earlier samples seen here: 

Bill

Nice layout

Cheers Bill

• Administrators

The CAD is Rapido's intellectual property so I don't think we should really be pressuring them to release it to 3rd parties. I honestly think resin casting is the way to go here for the small number of interiors required. If you've never done it before, now is the chance to learn!

Guy

I'd agree with you about resin casting - it's likely to be far cheaper than 3D printing too. A few years ago, when the Airfix pontoon bridge was unavailable, I cast a few copies for a project I was working on. Details on my blog:

Making the mould: http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/resin-casting-part-1-making-mould.html

Making the castings: http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/resin-casting-part-2-making-castings.html

If you want to sell them, you'll need approval from whoever owns the masters (Locomotion?) but they might be happy to do this. However, my understanding is that you can copy something like this for yourself so just take your APT apart and get the mould gunk out!

Guy

I wasn't suggesting "pressurising" anyone ore stealing from anyone either. I suggested we "ask" Jason. He might say yes. Who knows he might even approve? They could easly keep the CAD data and let someone like Shapeway print it for those of us who are interested, paying the relevant cots to Rapido / Shapeway.

Just an option.

Luke

I wasn't suggesting "pressurising" anyone ore stealing from anyone either. I suggested we "ask" Jason. He might say yes. Who knows he might even approve? They could easly keep the CAD data and let someone like Shapeway print it for those of us who are interested, paying the relevant cots to Rapido / Shapeway.

Just an option.

Luke

The CAD files that Rapido will have will not be suitable for Shapeways, someone would need to make a custom file for Shapeways using the CAD data.

Given that Shapeways can apparently be temperamental, and the quality can change change depending on how an item is printed on any given day, I can't see any manufacturer wanting to do it.

It won't hurt to ask, I could be wrong, but again given that it is a Locomotion model it would be them and not Rapido that you would have to approach I would think.

• RMweb Premium

The CAD files that Rapido will have will not be suitable for Shapeways, someone would need to make a custom file for Shapeways using the CAD data.

Converting Rapido's CAD into something that Shapeways can use is just a case of exporting the data in the right format.

The N Gauge Pendolino that Rapido are producing for Revolution Trains has been 3d printed (although not using Shapeways) prove that it's possible to get a 3d print from Rapido's CAD files.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Given that the CAD files represent a significant part of the higher value expertise that sits behind a model and some of the most significant IPR of any model manufacturer why would they ever release those files or agree to let anybody else use them? And reverse engineering a resin mould from a body shell bought in a shop (as kit car manufacturers do, although some destroy a hire car to do the same) is a violation of IPR.

Will the model have silver effect windows like the real thing, or clear or tinted windows ?

Only TC2 has the reflective coating on the windows, TC1 has normal glass in both the VIP compartment and the storage area.

I don't know what Jason & Co. have in mind for the final production model but Paul and I mentioned that if TC2's windows were as reflective as the real thing all the lovely interior detail, including the cheese sandwich door stop, would be invisible...

Edited by Mr_Tilt

How will we be able to see the flashing lights? Mind you reflective widows overcomes the issue of interiors discussed above unless of course if there is internal lighting.

So if all those reflective widows were dressed in black, they would object to bright interior lighting?    :O

How will we be able to see the flashing lights? Mind you reflective widows overcomes the issue of interiors discussed above unless of course if there is internal lighting.

I'm a bit bothered about the flashing lights. I know it's a bit of fun but, like a joke, it could wear a bit thin in time and they aren't true to prototype. Apart from that, so far as I'm concerned, the project seems to be turning out very well.