The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

The permissible limits for Voltage variation in the UK and Ireland are a voltage range of 207 Volts to 253 Volts. This is in accordance with European Standard EN50160.

And a lot of use that is when it really counts. 

Yet another Euro-Rubbish Standard.

• RMweb Premium

As I understand it, the general range for power in this country is 220V to 240V. Outside that seems to be a bit of a lottery on whether a device will work or not.

At 250V, some devices can burn out. I had a Belkin UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply - don't laugh ;) ) that I used to use down in a house in Poole. Unfortunately, that house seemed to have an up to 250V electricity supply according to the power meters I had at the time, and though other devices like TVs, computers and the like seemed to be OK, my UPS actually couldn't handle it and kept tripping out. Eventually it burnt out (with smoke!), had to be replaced, and the second one burnt out as well. The third never got plugged in.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow. I knew there was a lot more tolerance on Voltage compared to frequency, but did not think it was that much. I still think there would be questions and complaints before it got anywhere near those limits mind, especially as 207 is quite a long way from the 240V it is supposed to be and could lead to synchronous motors burning out.

207-253v is 230v +/- 10%

I don't think the UK has been a standard of 240 for a few years. I've certainly never measured anything near 240 for awhile now. (I often see stuff rated 220-240v)

Cheers,

Mick

edit: Apologies for wandering way off topic (forgot this was the APT-E thread - won't do it again....)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

The nominal RMS voltage in the UK was reduced from 240v to 230v in 1994. In the UK, there is a legal allowance of + or - 10% around the nominal voltage as the cost of replacing transformers and equipment set for 240v would have been astronomic.  Old equipment rated as 240v should still work without any problems, as should older European devices which were designed for 220v.

Roddy

• Like 1

Not that long ago, parts of Bristol, and elsewhere, had a declared voltage of 210V, while other parts were 240V. A fair bit of expense and effort was put into getting it all to 240V. Then, as much of Europe was on 220V (luckily at 50Hz) manufacturers wanted the supplies to be the same as UK. (or depending on how you look at it, UK to be same as Europe). There has to be a voltage tolerance, generally it was +10%/-6%. So, by changing the UK (the smallest market) declared voltage to 230V, that allowed stuff to be made that worked all over Europe, Since 220V falls within 230V  +10/-6% tolerance and then it was aligned further a couple of years or so to +/- 10%. If you have, say, filament lamps rated at 240V they will be dimmer on 230V, but you'll save a bit on electricity costs, and the lamps last longer.

It is not a Euro-rubbish standard, but a sensible solution to allow entry to a bigger market for manufacturers, and hence lower cost, or higher profit. fwiw, most electronic devices work quite well on a wide range of voltage (and frequency) these days, and many others, if essential, will have various voltage settings.

Edited by raymw

It is not a Euro-rubbish standard, but a sensible solution to allow entry to a bigger market for manufacturers, and hence lower cost, or higher profit. fwiw, most electronic devices work quite well on a wide range of voltage (and frequency) these days, and many others, if essential, will have various voltage settings.

It IS a Euro-Rubbish Standard if the tolerance band is from 207 VAC to 253 VAC. That's not a standard at all, it's far too wide. 

• RMweb Premium

It IS a Euro-Rubbish Standard if the tolerance band is from 207 VAC to 253 VAC. That's not a standard at all, it's far too wide. 

I believe the technical expression is "you can drive a bus through it". Perhaps (to get this back on topic) an APT  :)

- Richard.

Too wide a tolerance for what, these days? At a time when generating stations are being reduced in numbers, folk objecting more to erection of overhead lines, not wanting to pay more for energy, etc, etc, a wide voltage tolerance allows considerable savings to be made, with little impact on the majority of users. If it is a problem to you, you can get a voltage regulator installed.  The UK voltage is 230V nominal voltage, not actual voltage, in the same way as the new 3.7V lithium ion cells, which can vary from 4.2 volts down to something like 3.0V or so when discharged, compared to the older Nickel cadmium cells, which had a relatively constant voltage, until the knee-point was reached. The equipment is designed to work in that range - it's the new/lean way of doing things. 

Industrial,/commercial users can have a 'special arrangement', and for domestic users, it really doesn't matter. What exactly is the problem?

Of course us idiot Brits don't just screw up the scale and run our trains on narrow gauge but we insist on using 220v rather than 110v to power them.

That gene puddle gets even shallower.

I was commenting on one of the more daft comments on the Faceache report which seemed to imply the poster thought our models ran on 220v dc, not 12v. It wasn't a cue for a technical bull and cow on the variability of UK mains voltage or whether the EU are trying to electrocute the population.

Aaaanyway, as it seems our trans-atlantic fellow modellers are also convinced the APT-E was a lab rat and never ran on the network, I suspect their knowledge of our wiring is equally dodgy.

• Like 1

The nominal RMS voltage in the UK was reduced from 240v to 230v in 1994. In the UK, there is a legal allowance of + or - 10% around the nominal voltage as the cost of replacing transformers and equipment set for 240v would have been astronomic.  Old equipment rated as 240v should still work without any problems, as should older European devices which were designed for 220v.

Roddy

Just thought I would check, and what do you know, voltage at my home is currently (no pun intended) 232V

Aaaanyway, as it seems our trans-atlantic fellow modellers are also convinced the APT-E was a lab rat and never ran on the network, I suspect their knowledge of our wiring is equally dodgy.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that many of their own trains wouldn't be running anywhere near as fast and stably if it wasn't for the work we did back in the 70s on APT-E. 

• Like 2

I had to smile at the Facebook comments.... Ignorance is bliss as they say.

You get impression that someone thinks the entire world is 110 volt mains with only the UK being different. I suspect someone else is jealous because NAM oddballs and prototypes are more rarely covered and as for the waiting since Sept 2014, well mine was ordered on the first day and I am not complaining.

I took the proof reading post as joke.

Hi all,

Here are the latest photos from the factory.

Underbodies painted and printed:

post-20909-0-30206100-1451840865_thumb.jpg

Boy, you Brits need a lot of logos on your models. We just have to put "CHINA" on models for the North American market. Thankfully, North America is not part of the EU. We're happy to be a bunch of yahoo ex-colonies.

It's a good thing Bill thought of these logos a couple of weeks ago. "Hey, Locomotion - what are the funny doodles you need us to put on the models?"

My, what a lot of bogie bits!

post-20909-0-69092300-1451840867_thumb.jpg

Why settle for one computer bank when you can have hundreds?

post-20909-0-82475400-1451840869_thumb.jpg

Production is coming along nicely. We anticipate the first 500 trains arriving in Shildon in early February, with the remaining trains and extra carriages arriving in late February.

-Jason

• Like 16

Production is coming along nicely. We anticipate the first 500 trains arriving in Shildon in early February, with the remaining trains and extra carriages arriving in late February.

-Jason

Just for interest, as I've had mine ordered for a while now, how many are you making in total?

• Like 1