Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Thats a good idea. See what I was saying about communications, it makes me chuckle now though as worse things happen at sea - and remember, back in the day, when we would all look at catalogues (from Beatties et al) filled with artists impressions of proposed models and when the models arrived they looked like artists impressions too :mosking: .

Looking forward to getting mine though as theyre arnt half bad!

BTW does anyone know - do they run smoothly? The reviews say that they do :)

ATVB

CME :)

One of my two Terriers was run for about an hour on a friends large layout and now runs considerably better and more smoothly than the other one which, so far, has only traversed a couple of yards of track.

They run well straight from the box but it appears that running in is advisable to get the best out of them.

Edited by Overner

One of my two Terriers was run for about an hour on a friends large layout and now runs considerably better and more smoothly than the other one which, so far, has only traversed a couple of yards of track.

They run well straight from the box but it appears that running in is advisable to get the best out of them.

Thanks for that info, most useful - glad that you are enjoying them.

I read - in one review - that they need lubricating quite early on, within an hour or half an hour of running-in duties? Is this the case, will the new batch come with instructions on such things??

With thanks,

CME

Looks like a circle of that Peco track is what is needed to give them a jolly god running-in.

By the way - has anyone done a proper test as to the minimum radius they will run?

The Hudswell Clarke at 11'6" wheelbase handled 36" radius well. I imagine that this or slightly larger would be right for the Terrier with the 12'0" wheelbase.

Just got an e-mail from Hattons to say they've processed my order for two Bodiams, although they haven't been packed yet. My order confirmation in May said delivery by Royal Mail, but this one says Yodel, so it's a good thing the local Yodel driver seems pretty good!

Images of the recent releases are put up by Hattons

CME,

Ref your post #836: Looking at the Hattons photos that chimney gap in the A1X is horrendous, an explanation from Dapol as to why the difference with the A1 would be nice but I guess with them that's probably not going to happen.

Thanks for that info, most useful - glad that you are enjoying them.

I read - in one review - that they need lubricating quite early on, within an hour or half an hour of running-in duties? Is this the case, will the new batch come with instructions on such things??

With thanks,

CME

Dapol recommend light lubrication of axles and connecting rods after running in (approximately 1-2 hours) and again after approximately 50 hours running or extended storage. The instructions, which were omitted from early deliveries are available on line at   http://www.ehattons.com/media/DapolTerrierInstructions.pdf

Edited by Overner

A point about Dapol communication. I emailed them on the 19th to let them know that one of my models had 2 left hand coupling rods so the one on the right has the joint in the wrong place and cannot be swopped as one rod will always end up wrong.

I received a reply from Kevin Grindley, Sales Admin Manager to say that the person he needed to speak to about this wasn't in until Wednesday but he would speak to him when he was in. I've subsequently requested a response on two occasions, the first was met with a further delaying email from Kevin, the second, last Thursday, has gone unanswered! 

If this is representative of Dapols 'communication' and willingness to correct their mistakes, I'm not impressed.

Colin

I've now had a response from Dapol asking me to send the incorrect rods to DCC Supplies who will send replacements. Lets hope their response is reasonably fast!

CME,

Ref your post #836: Looking at the Hattons photos that chimney gap in the A1X is horrendous, an explanation from Dapol as to why the difference with the A1 would be nice but I guess with them that's probably not going to happen.

The chimneys are metal and a push fit into the smokebox moulding. There is a slight rounding of the top of the moulding which, if it is lightly filed flat, will allow the chimney to seat far better. It would also appear that some of the assembly workers can push them on better than others!

• RMweb Premium

Good to see these at last & looking forward to receiving my blue one, now preparing the '1' for the tanksides & smiley face for smokebox door...!

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It would appear that the factory packed the two BR liveries in the wrong boxes. The one here is the late BR emblem, not the early one! Mine arrived at Alton this morning, luckily Paul had ordered one of each so I was able to pick up the early version. Very impressed with it and looking forward to the IoW version.

All the best

Godfrey

Thanks, looks like they left off the WH Pump on the early version (32665) lets hope its the same for 32661! thats good news......

CME,

I agree, I hope it can be fettled, I shall also upgrade the vac hoses etc - I like the way that the wheels are fully painted. thanks for Posting.......

Dapol recommend light lubrication of axles and connecting rods after running in (approximately 1-2 hours) and again after approximately 50 hours running or extended storage. The instructions, which were omitted from early deliveries are available on line at   http://www.ehattons.com/media/DapolTerrierInstructions.pdf

Thanks for the info and the Link, very much appreciated.......

The chimneys are metal and a push fit into the smokebox moulding. There is a slight rounding of the top of the moulding which, if it is lightly filed flat, will allow the chimney to seat far better. It would also appear that some of the assembly workers can push them on better than others!

Thanks for that too - looks like I will have bit of fettling to do (perhaps).

Thanks for all of the help everyone, its much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

It would appear that the factory packed the two BR liveries in the wrong boxes. The one here is the late BR emblem, not the early one! Mine arrived at Alton this morning, luckily Paul had ordered one of each so I was able to pick up the early version. Very impressed with it and looking forward to the IoW version.

All the best

Godfrey

I was wondering about this. It must be a ploy by Dapol to get me to order one of each!

It looks like the packaging problem hasn't been resolved. One has the bunker lamp bracket broken off, while the other one has both tank vents broken off, the front screw coupling is broken, and so is the front vacuum pipe.

But apart from that, they look very nice.

Further exploration of the packaging (after I took the photo) showed that the coupling had fallen apart rather than being broken. I'm planning to replace them with Dinghams anyway. The brake pipes appear to be the wrong type, as all the relevant photos I've seen show upright pipes on the opposite side of the coupling. So they'll have to go too.

post-7091-0-41190500-1446814512.jpg

So the main annoying fault is the broken tank vents. Have other people with this problem fixed them themselves, or got new parts?

post-7091-0-25516500-1446814524.jpg

I think I can fix the missing lamp bracket myself, although I wonder if it existed. The photos I've seen so far show there should be brackets on the footplate behind each rear buffer, that have been omitted from the model. So maybe the bad packaging has helped to remove things I'll want off anyway (apart from the tank vents)!

post-7091-0-78347500-1446814537.jpg

• Like 1

I have just paid for my black late crest version. As I live in South Africa, I might have to be patient.  

I have two delivery options, my daughter or DHL. I think DHL will be too expensive so I may have to wait until February when my daughter comes over on holiday. 

Could some kind soul weigh the box complete with loco so I can get a quote for having it sent by courier? (just in case) Thank you. 

This will be my first 0 gauge loco but not my first Terrier. 

According to my dodgy kitchen scales, the loco is 448g and the packaging 624g, total 1.072kg, but allow a bit extra in case of wild inaccuracy! That's just the Dapol packaging, and not any additional protection and packaging that needs to be added.

Edited by BG John

Hi Ernie,

Received my Stepney (32655) today and can confirm no Westinghouse pump. Lovely model, runs like a dream and no construction issues. Now just need a layout to run it on.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Edited by 5Bel