Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Just a thought, but Dapol are doing an LSWR B4 tank in 4mm...................

Peter

I would be happy with one of their terriers in LSWR green.

Putting my Manufacturing hat on if I was going to produce a RTR loco a Jinty or a J72 would make the most of who would be likely to get one. Jintys were build from 1924 and lasted through to the 1960's  so there are 3 LMS liveries, 3 BR liveries and 1 SDJR livery not to say that the preserved ones were painted in some strange liveries. As for the J72 there life was even longer and there distribution over the eastern half of the country was extensive.  There were 3 NER liveries, 4 LNER liveries and 3 BR liveries and at least 2 Private liveries.

Marc

I suppose that's why Ixion and Minerva are going for industrials that were used anywhere. With the amount of colliery, light railway and industrial lines modelled though you can be fairly free with the 'what if'. If the Titfield thunderbolt could use Lion and a GWR tank then J72's, 1F & 3F's aren't too much of a leap ;) there certainly was a Jinty or 1F in industrial use too.

Small tank engines are obviously the best bet in terms of the 7mm market,including in terms of pricing, space constraints and need to sell the necessary quantity. Ixion and Minerva are the pace setters and have obviously chosen their subjects very wisely and cornered that industrial/light railway market.

When it comes to a mainline' tank all of the issues discussed are important, ultimately you cannot please everyone. Given a personal I'd love a J72 and given it was a stalwart of the old Mainline range, then Bachmann and soon to be Farish and Dapol in N Gauge, there must be a market - although I appreciate it will be much smaller in 0 Gauge. It could be used as a light railway engine too - see Easingwold and North Sunderland - and given there were so many of them and their longevity in both build period and life, it is not inconceivable to imagine a situation in which they could have been sold on to private operators. Given that, I know with my interest I am biased and it is probably a case of 'heart ruling head'. A Jinty, Pug or Pannier Tank (57xx?) would also seem good choices spread around the country.

Dapol could go for a different wheel arrangement and do 14xx, Tho this limits it to the GWR/Western region. Other wheel arrangements are available :-)

That is a good shout - particularly given Dapol have done them in other scales.

As for the J72 there life was even longer and there distribution over the eastern half of the country was extensive.  There were 3 NER liveries, 4 LNER liveries and 3 BR liveries and at least 2 Private liveries.

Marc

Thumbs up from me! They were build by the NER, LNER and finally BR and a few spread further afield to East Anglia and even Wrexham!

David

Edited by south_tyne

I would be happy with one of their terriers in LSWR green.

Marc

That can lead to all sorts of other changes. I built one with a Drummond boiler and stove pipe chimney.

I will still keep building rather than waiting. Even at my slow oce for my own stock it is still quicker.

• Like 1

I would choose the LSWR Drummond O2 0-4-4 tank, as it's such a delightful little engine and I would love one.

The O2 tanks were very long-lived, there are lots of livery options, plus the IOW variants, and they had a much wider geographical distribution than the Terrier, for example.

So there's my vote . . .

John

Although I would absolutely love to seen an O2 I think it's unlikely to come from Dapol given that Kernow have made a 00 version. I would imagine it's more likely they would upscale (as they tried to do with the BWT) and Dapol would choose something else. But you never know!

• RMweb Gold

Small tank engines are obviously the best bet in terms of the 7mm market,including in terms of pricing, space constraints and need to sell the necessary quantity. Ixion and Minerva are the pace setters and have obviously chosen their subjects very wisely and cornered that industrial/light railway market.

When it comes to a mainline' tank all of the issues discussed are important, ultimately you cannot please everyone. Given a personal I'd love a J72 and given it was a stalwart of the old Mainline range, then Bachmann and soon to be Farish and Dapol in N Gauge, there must be a market - although I appreciate it will be much smaller in 0 Gauge. It could be used as a light railway engine too - see Easingwold and North Sunderland - and given there were so many of them and their longevity in both build period and life, it is not inconceivable to imagine a situation in which they could have been sold on to private operators. Given that, I know with my interest I am biased and it is probably a case of 'heart ruling head'. A Jinty, Pug or Pannier Tank (57xx?) would also seem good choices spread around the country.

That is a good shout - particularly given Dapol have done them in other scales.

Thumbs up from me! They were build by the NER, LNER and finally BR and a few spread further afield to East Anglia and even Wrexham!

David

We also expect DJ Models to bring the Class J94 to the market in various guises in 7mm, some of which will tempt modellers with industrials in mind or already in their collections to make purchases. It seems to me as a newbie to 7mm that the problems of tight track radius around points might be problematic to some longer wheelbase 0-6-0s. Whereas 0-4-4Ts might be better if they can be ballanced correctly, this wheel arrangement opens up a much wider range of possibilities if we ignore GWR types which are well catered for, bar the 14xx/58xx which I am sure Lionheart will logically supply at some point to take advantage of further Autocoach sales.

Anyway back to the prospect of 0-6-0s, why limit to tank engines aside from the target RRP being affordable to more modellers. Again ignoring GWR types, LMS 4F, MR 3F, GER J15, GER J17, NER J27, SECR O1, SECR C, GNR J6 would attract good interest as would many Scottish types. However I revert back to supplying something that the many proud owners of Terriers might want first, which would be some passenger stock, also it would encourage further sales of more Terriers (for which the basic tooling has already been invested in). Then the same coaching stock sales might be enhanced with a further new locomotive to go with this new coaching stock and the aforementioned Terriers. In both cases hopefully the Bluebell and KESR shop outlets might help with retail sales.

Just a thought...

Kevin

Edited by Strathwood
  • Like 1

However I revert back to supplying something that the many proud owners of Terriers might want first, which would be some passenger stock, also it would encourage further sales of more Terriers (for which the basic tooling has already been invested in). Then the same coaching stock sales might be enhanced with a further new locomotive to go with this new coaching stock and the aforementioned Terriers. In both cases hopefully the Bluebell and KESR shop outlets might help with retail sales.

Just a thought...

Kevin

I agree regarding the coaching stock. However, it doesn't look as if Dapol need too much help with their retail sales - so far as I can see, they have sold pretty much every Terrier they have made so far.

John

We also expect DJ Models to bring the Class J94 to the market in various guises in 7mm, some of which will tempt modellers with industrials in mind or already in their collections to make purchases. It seems to me as a newbie to 7mm that the problems of tight track radius around points might be problematic to some longer wheelbase 0-6-0s. Whereas 0-4-4Ts might be better if they can be ballanced correctly, this wheel arrangement opens up a much wider range of possibilities if we ignore GWR types which are well catered for, bar the 14xx/58xx which I am sure Lionheart will logically supply at some point to take advantage of further Autocoach sales.

Kevin

The trouble is a 0-4-4 or similar if the bogie is mounted correctly is no better than a 0-6-0.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The GWR 54/64/74XX and the 16XX classes had a minimum radius of 230', which scales to a bit over 5', not bad. With a bit of licence I'm sure one could get it lower. Even though it had a short life, I think the 16XX would be popular; ideal for lightly laid branches and industrial sidings, which is what they were designed for, and a couple landed in the north of Scotland.

I've just been building a Dukedog 4-4-0 chassis to my own design in 3mm/ft, and am pleased with the result and the curves it will go around. After a fair amount of experimention, the secret was to let the bogie as a whole slide sideways by a small amount, and also let the wheels in the bogie slide sideways by a small amount, also taper the frames a bit at that end. Think the same principle would work well with an O2.

Yes a 14xx would be very popular. Dean goods would be a good tender choice - operated for decades, many variations/liveries and operated overseas in two world wars.

Another contractors' engine would be popular too. A Manning Wardle I or K would be my personal favourite.

• Like 1

Masterpeice Models did a 14xx recently so the market for them might well have gone. 

Peter

Don't think so Peter. They are too expensive and, dare I say, too"good" for the mass market. Dapol have shown that you can get a good, realistic and well painted rtr model to the market for £200 or less. I don't think the market wants more industrials, but small main line loco's that can work passenger trains as well as goods, but still fit on small layouts. I'm thinking 14xx, 57xx pannier, Jinty, J67/8/9 as 6 wheel loco's, possibly small 0-4-4 tanks but probably 2-4-2's would be easier to engineer.

I will of course repeat my suggestion of a class 22 diesel (come on Dapol, you do them in N and00, how hard can it be?), although a class 24/25 would have operated pretty much everywhere for a long period. I think there is a huge market, but it isn't my money at risk! I do wish the manufacturers the best of luck.

Ed

I'm thinking 14xx, 57xx pannier, Jinty, J67/8/9 as 6 wheel loco's, possibly small 0-4-4 tanks but probably 2-4-2's would be easier to engineer.

Ed

Just thinking, would a Beattie Well Tank be suitable? Nice little 2-4-0.

I think the Beattie is too niche for 0 Gauge at the moment when there are so few rtr loco's. In any case, in my personal 1960 Cornwall some Terriers had been transferred there! They worked the line linking the Southern line to Padstow with the Newquay branch.

Ed

W

Just thinking, would a Beattie Well Tank be suitable? Nice little 2-4-0.

We are just about to launch a Beattie 2-4-0WT mix media kits that will be ready to run to order. we are just waiting for some parts to get back to us.

MArc

• Like 2

If you are wanting simple 4 or 6 wheel coaches, then most people would be able to build a Connoisseur Models coach, yes it is etched brass, but it is actually very simple & easy to build. 

As Jim points out, they are generic & look very convincing when painted, I have fooled members of a line society using one suitably painted. 

If I can build one, then the proverbial 2 left thumbs probably could.  For those that doubt their ability, have a look at the instructions online.  No connection other than a very satisfied customer.

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/index.html

Edited by duncan
  • Like 2

We also do a range of mixed media coaches 3 Metropolitan C&WCo (1875 3rd/Brake 3rd/Luggage 3rd - Furness/Cambrian/NBR/LSWR/LNWR/C&WR), 2 Ashbury C&WCo (1880 3rd Brake/Composite - Furness/Cambrian), 3 HR/CR/North Sunderland (1880 3rd/2nd-3rd Comp/1st-2nd Comp), 4 LSWR/B&MR (1890 1st/1st-2nd Comp/3rd/3rd Brake), 5 NER  3rd/Brake 3rd/Luggage 3rd/ Lav Comp/Lug Comp)

Marc

They sound helpful for modelling the Bishops Castle Railway but I've misplaced my book so can't check which coaches they had. 

The bishops castle rly had a mix of coaches over the years latterly they were using ex H&BR 4 wheelers that had come via one of the south wales companies. However the Metro and Ashbury coaches were bought by a number of small companies not just the ones listed. These coaches were standard designs that customers just ordered of the peg.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Found the book,  they started off with 3 ancient four wheelers that ended up doing colliery work on the Severn Valley.  These were replaced with 6 LNWR 4 wheelers that were used until the BoT banned chain brakes in 1924.  The replacements were from Welsh lines that the GWR had just taken over. One LSWR six wheeler built in 1885 with one 3rd, two 2nd, one 1st and a guards compartment. One 4 Wheeler from the Brecon and Merthyr rly with two 3rd and two 3rd class compartments and a Hull and Barnsley brake third that had arrived via the Neath and Brecon Railway.

Are your coaches 4 or 6 wheeled?