Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It will not be this year! According to the Tower Models website, the first Terriers are now due 'around January' With other liveries 'early 2015'.

Anyone really wanting a budget Terrier before then is advised to try the Alphagraphics card kit, a good static version can be made in a choice of liveries

Dava

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No idea on accuracy, and there's a few prominent mould lines on the pipework- but it looks so lovely in that livery I think a lot of people will be more than happy to overlook a few foibles of detail (if, indeed, there are any!). I'm trying to work out how I can justify getting one into a 1960's tar distillers...  

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There are some details not quite right*, but it does look very tempting and certainly isn't the somewhat inaccurate compromise the OO version was.

Oh, and to link to a post directly, just right click the number of the post in the right hand side of the post title bar and it'll allow the copying of the link location from there - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92766-news-from-warley-2014/page-11&do=findComment&comment=1674996

*one I've noticed is the centre wheel weight shape isn't right, it should have a slight taper towards the ends, but it's hardly a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned, especially when the low price is taken into account.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The sample Terrier looks very good indeed, with exquisite lining. Bar the odd wavy handrail, and the bunkerside numberplate and sandbox worksplate which the real one had, which will probably be etched add-ons. If it runs as well as it looks (no reason not to with 5-pole motor) these should be a hit when they finally arrive....next year. Will I stick to my resolve to wait for the blue K&ESR one? Nowhere to run anything here yet, so it would be a very pretty static model for a while.

Finding appropriate stock to run with the 1870's era loco will be an interesting challenge for RTR buyers. I started a plasticard 'kit' for a balloon brake end near two years ago and completed one side so far. Modelling light railways has advantages!

Dava

• Like 1

Hi All.  I have discussed this post with Andy York and he has agreed that my findings are of sufficient value to be posted and has unbarred me from the topic.  There is no doubt other contributors will disagree and try to discredit me.  I have therefore agreed that I will not bang on till your ear drums bleed and you wish to stick pins in your eyes nor will I be provoked, so don’t waste your time and forum space.  Intelligent and useful points may well be answered politely, the rest ignored.  I do not anticipate any alterations to the models as Dapol have not replied to these points. 

As I have three locos on order and would like to try to upgrade them I will investigate the possibility of new toolbox mouldings and the production of  transfer sheets of matching lining to rectify the worst of the errors with some instructions as to how to alter some of the other points.  This can only be started once I have a production sample so do not enquire for some time.

The worst fault is probably the rear toolbox which is nothing like Brighton or Thames would have had in the original Stroudley condition or indeed at any other period.   It seems to be a straight scale up from the original Dapol 4mm model and N gauge version.  Originally the boxes were much wider, just less than the width between buffer centres so that the lamps could be fitted to the brackets, and they were tight against the upward buffer beam extensions.  They were also slightly taller and with much shallower sloping lids in most cases although some were steeper but nowhere near as steep as the model.   When locos were Motor fitted they were cut back slightly to avoid the castings fitted behind the raised buffers. 

The next fault is that Terriers until 1897 had NO Westinghouse pumps at all and when fitted they were much lower down, just above the footplate and with very different plumbing. Considerable ingenuity would be needed to correct this.

Probably the next worst error would be the contours of the domed roof assuming it has not been changed. The Warley images do not unfortunately show this. Again this seems to be a carry over from the 4mm version.

At the early period portrayed the coupling hook pockets were not present on the buffer beam.

In the Stroudley era the lubricator boxes as shown on the tank fronts were not fitted 

The smokebox door hinge straps look well out of scale being too far apart and undersize

The tankside unfortunately has the later 4 additional bolts, not on locos at this period and because of the lining will be difficult to remove without damaging the paintwork.

The handrail knobs on the tank tops are much too tall and should be little more than half the height.  This seems to throw out the handrail alignment somewhat.

Without better photos I cannot see if the shape of the plate supporting the tanks has been altered or the bolts, holding the pannier tanks on, are now of adequate size.

As noted by someone else, the balance weights on the centre drivers are not really the correct shape.

There are other minor errors and no doubt ones I have not spotted as I do not have a sample to check like others have had, although they have either not noticed the errors or have been ignored, as in the past.   If you can see others, do comment, I am not the all-seeing expert .     Dapol has posted that there are some small tweaks still to be done but what they are is not stated.

I have no idea when the model is due for release and it does seem that in spite of promises by Joel and Richard, once again a seriously flawed model may appear as it is due very soon.                            Regards all  adrianbs

The next fault is that Terriers until 1897 had NO Westinghouse pumps at all and when fitted they were much lower down, just above the footplate and with very different plumbing. Considerable ingenuity would be needed to correct this.

Probably the next worst error would be the contours of the domed roof assuming it has not been changed. The Warley images do not unfortunately show this. Again this seems to be a carry over from the 4mm version.

At the early period portrayed the coupling hook pockets were not present on the buffer beam.

I don't want to get drawn into a war of words, but, according to Bradley, Westinghouse pumps were fitted to the batches of Terriers built from 1878, which included Brighton, and the earlier ones were retro-fitted by 1882.  If you are looking at this early era, then consideration should be made regarding the balancing pipe that the first batch were fitted with, connecting the two side tanks over the boiler.

Regarding the roof profile and other details, I got the distinct impression when I wrote to Dapol several years ago regarding some of the flaws in their 2mm version that they considered they had done enough research for the 4mm one, and nothing was going to shift them from merely reproducing the OO model to the smaller scale.  At least they seem to have had another look at some of the different details this time round, but, it would appear, not all.

I am intrigued by the "coupling hook pockets" - I am afraid I don't know what that means, and the sample photos are not clear enough to show me what they look like.

Hi All. I have discussed this post with Andy York and he has agreed that my findings are of sufficient value to be posted and has unbarred me from the topic. There is no doubt other contributors will disagree and try to discredit me. I have therefore agreed that I will not bang on till your ear drums bleed and you wish to stick pins in your eyes nor will I be provoked, so don’t waste your time and forum space. Intelligent and useful points may well be answered politely, the rest ignored. I do not anticipate any alterations to the models as Dapol have not replied to these points.

As I have three locos on order and would like to try to upgrade them I will investigate the possibility of new toolbox mouldings and the production of transfer sheets of matching lining to rectify the worst of the errors with some instructions as to how to alter some of the other points. This can only be started once I have a production sample so do not enquire for some time.

The worst fault is probably the rear toolbox which is nothing like Brighton or Thames would have had in the original Stroudley condition or indeed at any other period. It seems to be a straight scale up from the original Dapol 4mm model and N gauge version. Originally the boxes were much wider, just less than the width between buffer centres so that the lamps could be fitted to the brackets, and they were tight against the upward buffer beam extensions. They were also slightly taller and with much shallower sloping lids in most cases although some were steeper but nowhere near as steep as the model. When locos were Motor fitted they were cut back slightly to avoid the castings fitted behind the raised buffers.

In the Stroudley era the lubricator boxes as shown on the tank fronts were not fitted

The smokebox door hinge straps look well out of scale being too far apart and undersize

The tankside unfortunately has the later 4 additional bolts, not on locos at this period and because of the lining will be difficult to remove without damaging the paintwork.

The handrail knobs on the tank tops are much too tall and should be little more than half the height. This seems to throw out the handrail alignment somewhat.

Without better photos I cannot see if the shape of the plate supporting the tanks has been altered or the bolts, holding the pannier tanks on, are now of adequate size.

As noted by someone else, the balance weights on the centre drivers are not really the correct shape.

There are other minor errors and no doubt ones I have not spotted as I do not have a sample to check like others have had, although they have either not noticed the errors or have been ignored, as in the past. If you can see others, do comment, I am not the all-seeing expert . Dapol has posted that there are some small tweaks still to be done but what they are is not stated.

I have no idea when the model is due for release and it does seem that in spite of promises by Joel and Richard, once again a seriously flawed model may appear as it is due very soon. Regards all adrianbs

Is that all?

Well, for £199 I think that's amazing. I'm off to order a couple - thanks for the heads up!

Paul

"Brighton"  was  indeed  Westinghouse  fitted  from  new.  (1878)

It  attended  the  Paris  Exhibition  in  1878  being  awarded  a  Gold  Medal  for  its  design  and  construction.

Whilst  in  France  it  was  used  to  demonstrate  the  Air  Brake  to  the  French  by  the  Westinghouse  Brake  Company.

My  understanding  is  that  the  locomotive   originally  intended  for  this  had  failed  and  Stroudley  was  asked  by  Westinghouse  for  permission  to  use  "Brighton"  in  its   place,  this  was  duly  granted.

A  Terrier  was  chosen  for  the  Paris  Exhibition  due  to  its  low  weight  for  shipping,  the  name  "Brighton"  was  specifically  allocated  as  the  Exhibition  engine  otherwise  this  would  have  likely  been  used  on  a  more  prestigous  class  of  loco.

136  years  on  "Brighton"  is  still  running  (now as  W11  "Newport")  and  still  Westinghouse  fitted.

Pete 

• Like 1

Hi  All   Thanks for the correction Nick,  sorry about the typo somehow 1878 became  1897 , No idea how as I knew it was only 5 or 6 years after the first batch that the later batches were built with pumps and the others were retrofitted from then on as they passed through works. Proves i'm fallible anyway just as I said, and an awful typist as well.   I call the blocks around the coupling hook "pockets"  as do others but there is probably a correct term.  The steam transfer pipes in front of the cab were removed fairly early on and Brighton and Thames would never have had them as it appears only the first batch of 6 were so fitted. I am not sure how the surplus steam reached the other tank to be returned to the chimney via the other condensing pipe after the connection was removed however.   Regards adrianbs

• 1 month later...