Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Does anyone have livery details for EHLR terriers?

The only photos I have seen are black and white, with the engines in poor states of repair.

Neal

Neal, I doubt if very much was done to the two Terriers after the EHLR bought them, other than paint E H L R on the tank sides.  The EHLR never made enough money!

So a reasonable representation might be a very faded and weathered LBSCR livery with the four letters added on each side.  And either No. 1 or No. 2, as photographed outside Stratford Old Town Shed:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/smjsa73.htm

Are you modeling the EHLR by any chance?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No 2 is a near original A1 as far as I can tell, while No 1 is an A1X rebuild. But of note is that No 2's brakes are the rebuild ones, not the wooden originals.

I should have avoided this topic! I've just given in to the urge to pre-order Bodiam, to add to my list of projects. At least it will be a few months before it turns up, and my current layout idea is very small and simple! Of course if I wait until I'm ready, it won't be available, so have convinced myself I need to grab the opportunity while I can!

I've just won a cheap (in 7mm terms) wagon on eBay, to get a small taste of a scale I haven't worked in since I used to have to wind up the engines (if you can describe anything about Hornby clockwork as scale!). I might grab a few cheap bits and pieces if I get the opportunity over the next few months, so I've got something to play with when it arrives, but I've got to focus on getting exactly what I need, and not acquiring a pile of stuff that's unsuitable. Just 5 or 8 wagons that would have run on the proposed line to Pevensey is what I need (depending on whether my plan turns out a bit like a 3-2-2 or a 5-3-3 inglenook). The single coach will have to be a scratchbuilt effort, as kit prices are a bit eye watering! Then I just need a few lengths of flatbottom rail, some sleepers, a suitable controller............................!!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If I was doing a basic 4 wheel coach to run with the Terrier, I'd copy NeilHB's neat idea of using Peco 0-16.5 narrow gauge plastic coach sides/components which seems to work well:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97585-elsbridge-wharf-1906-neilhbs-layout/

I found some second hand small coaches a few years ago so don't need any for the micro layout being built at present. My attempt to use a plasticard kit to build a Brighton 4 wheel 'balloon' brake has not been completed..2 years on.

Dava

• Like 2

I did a 4-compartment coach along the same lines. The trouble is that once you get over a scale 10'0" wheelbase you really need to have compensation or springing as they start to get fussy over track. I once made a coach with a 15'0" rigid chassis and it would pick the slightest irregularity in the track and dive into the ballast.

You could also take body components from the Slaters 43' Midland Railway coaches. 4 compartments works out more or less at 25'0" which is a good prototypical size for a 4-wheeler.

Light railway coaches with straight sides and square ends are easy enough to scratch-build using styrene sheet and strip. it's just a matter of exercising the patience to do it according to the methods outlined by David Jenkinson.

• Like 1

If I was doing a basic 4 wheel coach to run with the Terrier, I'd copy NeilHB's neat idea of using Peco 0-16.5 narrow gauge plastic coach sides/components which seems to work well:

The aim is to model the K&ESR, not do something freelance :nono:. One of the Pickering coaches looks the least unstraightforward. Having said that, I'm not totally opposed to spending a fiver on a few bits and pieces to knock up something temporary!!!

Worsleyworks does etcvhings for the Pickering cvosches, bogie or 4-wheel mode

Dava

Thanks. I didn't know about them. Now I need to decide a date, so I know whether to build the 4 wheel or the bogie version.

Neal, I doubt if very much was done to the two Terriers after the EHLR bought them, other than paint E H L R on the tank sides.  The EHLR never made enough money!

So a reasonable representation might be a very faded and weathered LBSCR livery with the four letters added on each side.  And either No. 1 or No. 2, as photographed outside Stratford Old Town Shed:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/smjsa73.htm

Are you modeling the EHLR by any chance?

I have just diversified into o-gauge, and with the Ixion Hudswell Clark am focussing on a small Northants ironstone layout.

I would really like to model a drag line, but need some more prototype info/drawings.

That said, I did also acquire a Lionheart pannier, so like my 4mm layout, it will probably be flexible with period and location.

With regards the Terrier, the images on the Colonel Stephens page suggests a darker base colour than the LBSC base green being provided by Dapol. Are we talking about the LBSC brown (as the forthcoming LBSC E4 from Bachmann)?

Thanks for all responses on this matter, I have seen most of the published references on the railway, and have not seen a better image than that posted above.

Neal

• RMweb Premium

I just remember that in the Wild Swan book by Tim Shackleton called Plastic bodied locos, Tim started with a Umber LBSC livery Dapol Terrier and weathered it to produce a EHLR 2 model.1920 they were acquired so the Umber would be correct.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Spoke to Richard Webster today and asked about the Terrier. His comment was the delay was caused by possible interference issues. The solution (which is probably why it is taking a while) is switching from a 3 pole motor to a 5 pole motor.

All the best

K

Guest Isambarduk

"...switching from a 3 pole motor to a 5 pole motor."

This sounds like a good plan anyway; I am surprised that a 3-pole motor would be specified these days when 5-pole has long been the norm?    David

• RMweb Gold

Lots of OO stuff using 3 pole still. A good modern three pole motor geared properly is virtually indistinguishable from a 5 pole one to watch a loco move. Cost savings I guess.

Pre order them to fix the price? ;)

Only if you pre-pay at the same time, otherwise the exchange rate will still change between now and when they are available, they might let you pay early, but there must be some risks associated with this.

Guest Isambarduk

"If they arrive before xmas i will eat my hat :nono: "

OK, Paddy :-)

Edited by Isambarduk