RMweb

Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

When packing up box four I noticed a gap. Ah! the missing loco is the Modern Outline Kit class 40. Lovely looking loco but so slow, runs Ok but is just slow. 50mph with six on the back isn't that good. It also has a tendency to want to go its own way through points. What to do? Maybe that is something for another day.

As type I am running the first two from box 5, and they are going lovely.

• Like 2

Clive,

Richard H had a Modern Outline '40' or did you have it off him?. Remember it running quite well if somewhat slow and noisy. The mechanism looked complicated for what is I believe one bogie drive. I think the MTK motor bogie is similar but based on a plastic frame.

The 'True Scale' loco seems like its been designed in the belief that only the models had pony trucks. It must be uncommon, I don't recall the name before.

Peters Spares list Mainline brushes and springs. Sometimes the brush gear gets hot and the springs lose their temper(!) and go weak. 

Glad to see you're getting stock out and running it, its what we buy it for isn't it? I still take stock on Mondays and sometimes get to run it at home.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Clive,

Richard H had a Modern Outline '40' or did you have it off him?. Remember it running quite well if somewhat slow and noisy. The mechanism looked complicated for what is I believe one bogie drive. I think the MTK motor bogie is similar but based on a plastic frame.

The 'True Scale' loco seems like its been designed in the belief that only the models had pony trucks. It must be uncommon, I don't recall the name before.

Peters Spares list Mainline brushes and springs. Sometimes the brush gear gets hot and the springs lose their temper(!) and go weak. 

Glad to see you're getting stock out and running it, its what we buy it for isn't it? I still take stock on Mondays and sometimes get to run it at home.

Jim

Hi Jim

The Modern Outline loco came from the Barrowmore Club, it is an ex Mostyn loco. It was P4. As you say Richard has one, his was 00. We done a bogie swap, and yes it still runs noisy and slow.

This is the True Scale bogie, the pick up bogie is the same but no motor.

post-16423-0-90132200-1535759101_thumb.jpg

It got rave reviews in the model press, but it is made of etched brass and 15 or more years ago if it was etched brass and went together is was wonderful. Not sure if any of the reviewers ran one on a layout.

I will have a butchers at the Peter's Spares website....he so many bits I want.

The layout is a godsend, I can play trains, test locos and units or just sit back and enjoy watching the trains without Keith, John, Colin, Richard, Mark, Dave, John, Richard (when not stateside), Andy, Colin, Pete, Fred or your heads being in the way. :nono: :nono: I do miss Monday nights, even Keith's tea.  :swoon: 

• Like 3

Hi Jim

The Modern Outline loco came from the Barrowmore Club, it is an ex Mostyn loco. It was P4. As you say Richard has one, his was 00. We done a bogie swap, and yes it still runs noisy and slow.

This is the True Scale bogie, the pick up bogie is the same but no motor.

attachicon.gif028a.jpg

It got rave reviews in the model press, but it is made of etched brass and 15 or more years ago if it was etched brass and went together is was wonderful. Not sure if any of the reviewers ran one on a layout.

I will have a butchers at the Peter's Spares website....he so many bits I want.

The layout is a godsend, I can play trains, test locos and units or just sit back and enjoy watching the trains without Keith, John, Colin, Richard, Mark, Dave, John, Richard (when not stateside), Andy, Colin, Pete, Fred or your heads being in the way. :nono: :nono: I do miss Monday nights, even Keith's tea.  :swoon:

Mornin mate, I've got an O Gauge Cl 40 coming, so before I DCC it, can you put two tracks close together so we can run it around? hahah :no:  :drag:

Hi Clive,

One thing your input is showing us is how much better the RTR diesel mechs are now. That True Scale bogie looks almost 'Heath Robinson'! with DS10 motor and big brass worms its not going to be quiet and powerful.

Like you say, years ago if it was an etched kit it was reckoned top class yet many were poor and expensive as well.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

One thing your input is showing us is how much better the RTR diesel mechs are now. That True Scale bogie looks almost 'Heath Robinson'! with DS10 motor and big brass worms its not going to be quiet and powerful.

Like you say, years ago if it was an etched kit it was reckoned top class yet many were poor and expensive as well.

Jim

Hi Jim

You wouldn't fit a sound chip in it. Power wise I still haven't hooked a train behind it. maybe give that a bash tonight......still weeding the drive.

Clive, you've cleared the weedy drive where the cars go, so now its just some of your locos with weedy drives!. Clearing them may be less straight forward.

Mention of which, I've just replaced a split gear in a Hornby 'Tornado', Hornby steam locos do occasionally suffer from this. Knowing you have purchased 'kettles' in recent times if one seems to develop a 'slipping clutch' effect or 'clonk' every wheel revolution then check the spur gears.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive, you've cleared the weedy drive where the cars go, so now its just some of your locos with weedy drives!. Clearing them may be less straight forward.

Mention of which, I've just replaced a split gear in a Hornby 'Tornado', Hornby steam locos do occasionally suffer from this. Knowing you have purchased 'kettles' in recent times if one seems to develop a 'slipping clutch' effect or 'clonk' every wheel revolution then check the spur gears.

Jim

Hi Jim

I have a Bachy 08 that goes clonk due to a split gear wheel, it performs OK, better than some that don't go clonk.............................yet. 

Edit...I ain't cleared the drive of weeds, our drive is big enough for at least two buses and room for a couple of vans. There is so much soil between the gravel that the moss and grass have made it like concrete. My back is hurting.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim

I have a Bachy 08 that goes clonk due to a split gear wheel, it performs OK, better than some that don't go clonk.............................yet. 

So you have a clonking gronk.........

• RMweb Premium

No update on box 5 tonight due to being knackered and me back hurting and laziness.

Lovely pop song

I had a friend who thought muffin the mule was a criminal offence...…………….

Without using Goggle or any other search engine, which one of the female members of the band was Martha? 

I think there were two, Clive - Martha Ladley? and Martha Johnson.  One was keys/ vox, the other sax/ vox - I think.

I stress, I've only got the one album (vinyl, on DinDisc) from which the awesome Echo Beach was taken.

• RMweb Premium

I think there were two, Clive - Martha Ladley? and Martha Johnson.  One was keys/ vox, the other sax/ vox - I think.

I stress, I've only got the one album (vinyl, on DinDisc) from which the awesome Echo Beach was taken.

Now 'Chard that is cheating, because I know you have a decent taste in music.

I haven't got a copy, I did have but I think it went with quite a few other records when Mrs M mk1 was asked to leave.

One of THE best intro's in post-punk.  Remember when the Peel show ended at midnight I used to retune to RTE 2 and when this came out it was on heavy rotation on there.  As was Another Nail In My Heart, pretty much the only Squeeze single I really liked, and Ultravox's incredible Sleepwalk....

• RMweb Premium

One of THE best intro's in post-punk.  Remember when the Peel show ended at midnight I used to retune to RTE 2 and when this came out it was on heavy rotation on there.  As was Another Nail In My Heart, pretty much the only Squeeze single I really liked, and Ultravox's incredible Sleepwalk....

I use to really like Ultravox, I saw them quite a few times, then John Fox left. Squeeze was just one them bands that appeared to be everywhere when I didn't want them to be there.

As for "..when the Peel show ended at midnight......" I would either have fallen a sleep or was ready to listen to the session I had just recorded.

As for post punk, this is what Wattie would say

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The long awaited report on box 5.

Well all the locos bar one are CLASS 30 and one class 31.

The class 31 is a Hornby loco with expanding chassis. It runs beautifully. The body is still intact and my bodge with the chassis seams to be working and no signs of any cracks in the chassis. It needs its tummy band applied and painted green.

The CLASS 30s are

5 Lima, only one with a headcode box, The other four are all earlier build locos. All five after a quick wheel clean and a oil up ran like Lima locos, good. One is in blue so needs a complete repaing and one needs yellow panels, this one will be one of the two  which retained their white window surrounds with a yellow panel, D5502 and D55something else.

1 Airfix, ran like all Airfix 31s noisy when running in one direction and not so noisy running the opposite way.

1 Home made, Hornby ringfield motor, OK. Still in need of some hand rails.

The rest are Tri-ang

One at some stage was fitted with a Lima motor and runs like a rocket.

One I converted to a Skinhead yonks ago, it has been lowered and flush glazed, it looked the bee knees when I done all those years ago, not so good today sadly. Running, it had the worse motor of all the ones still fitted with a Tri-ang power unit. I took it apart and the screw fixing the roof on has joined that brush spring playing hide and seek. Once I got in running OK its battery box thingy grounded the loco on the diamond crossing at the Barnsley Junction. That needs sorting out. It had also lost two windows but I have found them and intend to refit them.

Four are as Tri-ang intended them, two still carrying D5572 numbers, the best was one of the D5572s and it had a run with six coaches, and done great. The other three all suffered with  the lack of additional pick-ups when trying to cross the diamond at Barnsley Juction. Not helped with the back to backs being tight and the deep and thick flanges. But they all work.

The next two run as a pair, but were tested separately to start with. Both ran OK so the were coupled up, they have the front doors open at one end with the gangways deployed. From memory it took some time to find a pair of motors that responded the same, and they still do. The diamond was not a problem as the other one gave the one on the crossing a shove or pull.

The last two are under reconstruction , see Rough Engineering Made Easy. One has two Tri-ang power units and ran OK again one power unit helped the other over the diamond. The other one has a Hornby Ringfield motor and ran OK after a clean and oil up.

Eighteen Brush type 2s in one box. I might have a few.

post-16423-0-47546900-1536014076_thumb.jpg

I have a fondness for D5572, as my first loco was model of it. Neither of the two I have now are that loco but I will always have a D5572 as long as I model 00. The other two are the Hornby one and my scratchbuilt effort. 

More photos before I pack them up.

Forgot to say one of the Tri-angs is D5835 the 2000hp loco with the extra grilles, on one side only. Guess who put them on both sides, it needs the panel replacing.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Box five is now packed up.

post-16423-0-62691400-1536177875_thumb.jpg

Some Brush type 2s, Some Tri-ang, including D5835 with its extra grille. My home made one. Some Lima. Hornby right at the back and an Airfix in the front.

A double header past our photographer, and they had the gangways deployed.

post-16423-0-52646400-1536178022_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-53296100-1536178188_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-76666500-1536178199_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-38764300-1536178211_thumb.jpg

I will not be testing box six just yet, it is full of shunters and there is not much requirement for shunters on Exchange.

Still unsure about this band

but Georgia is such a powerful singer.

• Like 7