Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

OK I have remotored Lion and it is running wonderfully. At the moment it is hauling a rake of maroon Mk1s at a scale 60mph. It has been romping around at 80-90mph.

What do I do with my Heljan model?

I know the Heljan one is better than mine, except it is white not ivory, but mine is mine.

Claire Grogan might still have that visual wow factor, something these ladies never pretended to have but the wow factor in their creative music is brilliant.

Re.Lion. Number yours D0261. It's a little known fact that BRC&W made two of them, one was white and the other ivory, the idea being to see which looked better in service as they became work soiled. No-one knows the answer, as the evaluation documents were lost in BRC&W's liquidation.

John.

A slightly different suggestion - paint one in BR green as though the prototype had been selected for production, in similar vein to the Deltics.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A slightly different suggestion - paint one in BR green as though the prototype had been selected for production, in similar vein to the Deltics.

There was an artist impression that appeared in the railway press about the time Lion was introduced of a two tone green loco looking like Lion with D1400 as its number.

Do I repaint the one that cost over £110, runs well  and looks OK or the one that cost a few bob, runs well (now) and is not so good looking but the right colour?

• RMweb Premium

I have started on Box 3 which contains 11 Peaks, all Mainline ones. Back in the days of Southbridge and early Pig Lane I ran the layouts as multi-regional, changing the locos as and when I wanted to.Having grown up where Peaks dominated I liked having LMR Midland Lines sessions. I also had visions of building a MR based layout.  Slowly Pig Lane took on a more ER feel and the peaks got used less and less, I think some very occasionally were run on Hanging Hill but not often so it could be 20 years since I drove some of these.

Many have buffer beam damage due to my poor packing. There a few traction tyres missing. So far D7, D9, D10, D15 and D19 have been run . They are very noisy but Mainline motors are so there appears nothing wrong with them after a wheel clean and the bearings oiled. Even the ones without traction tyres have ran well. I don't know if you guys have seen the thread on Class 45s where "modellers" are moaning that Bachmann have not done the flush front with sealed beam lights version and the price of secondhand Modelzone ones. To convert a central headcode loco to one with a flush front must be the easiest conversion possible. All five of these locos are conversions from the early Mainline twin window centre headcode version. I might not have ever fitted a sound decoder in a loco but I have done model making.

• Like 1

There was an artist impression that appeared in the railway press about the time Lion was introduced of a two tone green loco looking like Lion with D1400 as its number.

Do I repaint the one that cost over £110, runs well  and looks OK or the one that cost a few bob, runs well (now) and is not so good looking but the right colour?

There's a third option.  Build another one and paint that two tone!

Roja

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Personally, I'd keep the one that's the right colour and repaint the other - but only you can choose. Plan B would be to flog the Heljan and use the funds to get something else...

Edited by St Enodoc

Tricky decision as to which one to paint. The Heljan quality of finish is outstanding if inaccurate, but then again yours is your own work.

Funnily enough I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about a two tone green scheme for Lion. Wilkes Ashmore were the consultants, and chose the Hymek style in green which I thought was splendid. For Lion I wonder if the greater size merits three bands on the sides. Say a narrow light band at the bottom (as Hymeks), dark Brunswick in the middle to the top of the section with raised strips but below the side windows, then another light section to the cantrail, with light grey roof. Beginning to look a bit Polish.

Should say I've a Silver Fox body in a cupboard which I intend one day to do in something like this, "one day" being the operative phrase.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Premium

Tricky decision as to which one to paint. The Heljan quality of finish is outstanding if inaccurate, but then again yours is your own work.

Funnily enough I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about a two tone green scheme for Lion. Wilkes Ashmore were the consultants, and chose the Hymek style in green which I thought was splendid. For Lion I wonder if the greater size merits three bands on the sides. Say a narrow light band at the bottom (as Hymeks), dark Brunswick in the middle to the top of the section with raised strips but below the side windows, then another light section to the cantrail, with light grey roof. Beginning to look a bit Polish.

Should say I've a Silver Fox body in a cupboard which I intend one day to do in something like this, "one day" being the operative phrase.

John.

Hi John

What is the Silver Fox one like because the Falcon is OK? If it as good as their Falcon then it is suitable as a layout loco. 

post-17261-0-49459500-1535387437_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-52777900-1535387505_thumb.jpg

Hi John

What is the Silver Fox one like because the Falcon is OK? If it as good as their Falcon then it is suitable as a layout loco. 

Have some shots of my Silver Fox Lion.

Sorry about the quality, phone camera.

Funnily enough, I'm looking at painting this beast in BR blue together with a Silver Fox Kestrel!

Kestrel to haul MGRs in Manchester when I'm having a 'Blue Period'.

Lion as a Derby research loco.

The heresy has already started, I picked a supposed non working Heljan DP2 on Eface!! Cancer treatment retail therapy!!! I got her working quickly, having battled with recalcitrant old RTR for donkys years, it wasn't too hard.

She has now been repainted BR Blue and numbered as the last class 50. Had she not died at Thirsk, I have it on good authority she would have ended with the rest on the GW mainline in the 80s.

I worked for 22yrs for CWS Agriculture milking cows at Down Ampey, just up the road from Swindon and near to the delights of Reading and Westbury.

The 50s became old friends as I renewed my aquaintance with them from their days on the West Coast.

I might model Manchester, but I will stick on some WR stuff, either hydraulics or the 80s period, so the DP2 rolls along with Warspite, Ramillies, Great Western and HSTs quite well!!!

Keep up the good work Clive. I love the way you don't just buy new stuff, but keep your history and ressurrect your excellent older stuff!!

Chris.

• Like 1

Swap chassis?

• RMweb Premium

As the train set is located in Sheffield, why was Lion crying?

Mike.

(Zoology) (of lions and other animals) to utter characteristic loud growling

a loud, deep, extended sound: the roar of a lion.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_20180827_171857.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180827_171905.jpg

Have some shots of my Silver Fox Lion.

Sorry about the quality, phone camera.

Funnily enough, I'm looking at painting this beast in BR blue together with a Silver Fox Kestrel!

Kestrel to haul MGRs in Manchester when I'm having a 'Blue Period'.

Lion as a Derby research loco.

The heresy has already started, I picked a supposed non working Heljan DP2 on Eface!! Cancer treatment retail therapy!!! I got her working quickly, having battled with recalcitrant old RTR for donkys years, it wasn't too hard.

She has now been repainted BR Blue and numbered as the last class 50. Had she not died at Thirsk, I have it on good authority she would have ended with the rest on the GW mainline in the 80s.

I worked for 22yrs for CWS Agriculture milking cows at Down Ampey, just up the road from Swindon and near to the delights of Reading and Westbury.

The 50s became old friends as I renewed my aquaintance with them from their days on the West Coast.

I might model Manchester, but I will stick on some WR stuff, either hydraulics or the 80s period, so the DP2 rolls along with Warspite, Ramillies, Great Western and HSTs quite well!!!

Keep up the good work Clive. I love the way you don't just buy new stuff, but keep your history and ressurrect your excellent older stuff!!

Chris.

Hi Chris

Please do post Lion and Kestrel when they are in blue.

The Silver Fox model looks OK. :good:

• RMweb Premium

3 more peaks have been looked at. D172, no problems once cleaned and oiled. D43, I don't think I have run it much if at all. I haven't cleaned the wheels. It is secondhand and the previous owner had painted the wheels black, not only making it hard to see if all them wheels are on the track but he got paint on the tyres. Again once cleaned and oiled ran OK. It has buffer beams form a conversion kit, one needs to be reglued back on.

D70....as a young trainspotter this was my favorite locomotive. I was frilled to bits when a very kind driver said "Do you want to have a look in the cab". Well D70 ain't my favorite model. It started to run then "Crunch" it stopped. I stripped down the power bogie to find the final gear on the driving axle was becoming disengaged. Too much slop, due to the wheels being too far apart allowing the axle to slide too much and things coming out of contact and jamming. Too take the motor out of the bogie the bush retainers needed to be removed , so on reassembly I played find the spring. One of the leads from the pick up bogie snapped at the power bogie end, strip the wire and resolder, not hard to do. The lead is a red one but the power bogie had a small length (about 5mm) of green wire soldered to the bush retainer, I think it has been played with by a past owner. All back together, on the track whizz, then stop. I took the body off, could not see any problem so ran it without the body. A slight squeak from the pick up end, a rubbing pick up? No worries it worked, a good turn of speed and it ran smoothly when running slow. Body back on, whizz then stop. I took it off the track and put it back on and whizz. Great, then stop. 

Tomorrow I will strip down the pick up bogie, I think there may be an intermittent electrical problem.

Must go and by a bin for the train set room, got a feeling I might need one tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

Was it EM or (whisper it quietly) P4..............?

:stinker:

Na....just too wide for the gear to stay in place, about 0.5mm too much slop.

I did buy a loco where one bogie was 00 and the other EM but I knew that when I brought it. Tool, fine, adjusting, 1 1/2lb, ball pein, as found in all REME gun fitters tool boxes soon adjusted the wide ones.  

• Like 1

Na....just too wide for the gear to stay in place, about 0.5mm too much slop.

I did buy a loco where one bogie was 00 and the other EM but I knew that when I brought it. Tool, fine, adjusting, 1 1/2lb, ball pein, as found in all REME gun fitters tool boxes soon adjusted the wide ones.

According to my late father, an RAF gunnery fitter, a ball pein hammer was the only tool REME kept in their toolboxes, unlike the RAF who also had a large monkey wrench

Tim T

Modelling Cwm Cynon in EM

• RMweb Premium

According to my late father, an RAF gunnery fitter, a ball pein hammer was the only tool REME kept in their toolboxes, unlike the RAF who also had a large monkey wrench

Tim T

Modelling Cwm Cynon in EM

Hi Tim

I dispute that, I also had a 4lb aluminum faced hammer and a chisel. You had to be able to chip of the layers of gunners glue somehow. 

Hi Chris

Please do post Lion and Kestrel when they are in blue.

The Silver Fox model looks OK. :good:

I will post shots of Lion,1400? goodness knows wether she would have an ADB number under tops!!!

Kestral, I wondered about a 62 prefix for her?

50051 of course is easy!!! No name though I would think!!

The Silver Fox body is very good. A bit basic, but that's what fettling is for!!!

I got a Heljan beast for the turbine running!!

I think the Lion that runs on Borchester is a hybrid of a Heljan 47 power drive coupled to a Silver Fox body with perhaps a bit of brass added for effect.

Having seen it in the plastic, so to speak, a very nice piece of kit!!

C.

• RMweb Premium

3 more peaks have been looked at. D172, no problems once cleaned and oiled. D43, I don't think I have run it much if at all. I haven't cleaned the wheels. It is secondhand and the previous owner had painted the wheels black, not only making it hard to see if all them wheels are on the track but he got paint on the tyres. Again once cleaned and oiled ran OK. It has buffer beams form a conversion kit, one needs to be reglued back on.

D70....as a young trainspotter this was my favorite locomotive. I was frilled to bits when a very kind driver said "Do you want to have a look in the cab". Well D70 ain't my favorite model. It started to run then "Crunch" it stopped. I stripped down the power bogie to find the final gear on the driving axle was becoming disengaged. Too much slop, due to the wheels being too far apart allowing the axle to slide too much and things coming out of contact and jamming. Too take the motor out of the bogie the bush retainers needed to be removed , so on reassembly I played find the spring. One of the leads from the pick up bogie snapped at the power bogie end, strip the wire and resolder, not hard to do. The lead is a red one but the power bogie had a small length (about 5mm) of green wire soldered to the bush retainer, I think it has been played with by a past owner. All back together, on the track whizz, then stop. I took the body off, could not see any problem so ran it without the body. A slight squeak from the pick up end, a rubbing pick up? No worries it worked, a good turn of speed and it ran smoothly when running slow. Body back on, whizz then stop. I took it off the track and put it back on and whizz. Great, then stop. 

Tomorrow I will strip down the pick up bogie, I think there may be an intermittent electrical problem.

Must go and by a bin for the train set room, got a feeling I might need one tomorrow.

The threat of going in the bin worked, D70 didin't play up on re testing. D103, D172, and D53 (the first loco I brought on leaving the army) all ran OK once cleaned and oiled.

The MTK peak, not painted as yet, also worked OK .

D123, sounded like my Honda 90, burp, burp, burp........ On striping down the power unit I discovered it had a broken spur gear. So I removed it and tested it with only one powered axle. It still went burp, burp, burp....... It could just about manage a train of six coaches, the maximum I can get in the station platforms. I have some old mainline Peak chassis earmarked for some class 37 to class 40 conversions I was doing. I decided to try and get one of them running. It did but no better than the single axle drive chassis. On inspection it was missing a brush. Like a pillock I took a brush from the limping chassis. Didn't run much better so I looked at one the other chassis well bits of chassis. I decided to strip this of a brush and gear wheel for the limping chassis. reassembly was very difficult nothing want to go back where it came from. I had to play hide and seek with a brush spring, it won. Now it runs reasonably in one directions but in the other still sounds like my Honda 90 did burp, burp, burp.......  And the chassis in bits is even more in bits.

I think I will keep my eye out for a cheap second hand one and throw away the body.

• RMweb Premium

The threat of going in the bin worked, D70 didin't play up on re testing. D103, D172, and D53 (the first loco I brought on leaving the army) all ran OK once cleaned and oiled.

The MTK peak, not painted as yet, also worked OK .

D123, sounded like my Honda 90, burp, burp, burp........ On striping down the power unit I discovered it had a broken spur gear. So I removed it and tested it with only one powered axle. It still went burp, burp, burp....... It could just about manage a train of six coaches, the maximum I can get in the station platforms. I have some old mainline Peak chassis earmarked for some class 37 to class 40 conversions I was doing. I decided to try and get one of them running. It did but no better than the single axle drive chassis. On inspection it was missing a brush. Like a pillock I took a brush from the limping chassis. Didn't run much better so I looked at one the other chassis well bits of chassis. I decided to strip this of a brush and gear wheel for the limping chassis. reassembly was very difficult nothing want to go back where it came from. I had to play hide and seek with a brush spring, it won. Now it runs reasonably in one directions but in the other still sounds like my Honda 90 did burp, burp, burp.......  And the chassis in bits is even more in bits.

I think I will keep my eye out for a cheap second hand one and throw away the body.

D123 runs.....I tried the third of my scrap/spare chassis, it ran for half a lap then gave up. So I stripped the Honda 90 impersonator and rebuilt the power unit I took the gear and brush from (still haven't found the run away brush spring). It is a later produced power unit as it has pickups on the power end as well as the unpowered bogie. I thought before faffing around with it in the chassis I will give it a run just the bogie. It didn't fit the track, the wheels were set at EM. Instead of just swapping the wheels, pillock brain went and regauged them. It pottered off quite happily on its own, a bit slow so I balanced a loco weight on the bogie and it improved. Since then I have reassembled D123 and it runs OK. I did manage to break off the white metal buffer beam on the power bogie so stuck that back on. The previous owner fitted it with oval buffers, like a English Electric type 4, they will be replaced one day. The object of this exercise is to weed out the non runners not the cosmetic bits and bobs for the moment. 

After 4 power units I now have one that runs and 3 that will be used as spares. The 37 to 40 conversions will have to wait until I source some suitable chassis.

• Like 1