Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

I did some work in the shed this morning and had a play with my latest... I don't know what youtube does, but the sound is significantly better in the flesh.  

I've got F6 (speed lock) on in this video, which allows me to rev the engine and not go anywhere.  (unintentional, haha!) I have to say that I am finding DCC sound adding hugely to my enjoyment.  I am using RealDrive, and it makes driving much more interesting.

I've been using DC since I were a lad (first train set, 1975) and I started looking at DCC in 1996 when I first got into US outline stuff.  No sound at that point.  23 years later, it finally does what I want - it mimics the behaviour of a real loco independent of any switches, sections, gubbins and so on.  In my case, it really is just two wires as well.  This is not to denigrate my DC chums, just my personal journey into finding a new way to enjoy my toy trains.

Eventually, I aim to have a fleet of DCC sound equipped locos and an analogue mechanical signalling system as that is the combination that interests me most, and replicates the era I am modelling.  I say modelling, I mean having fun with.

Some WR diesels will start making appropriate noises over the next few months.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2019 at 20:08, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Steve

Not yet. I am not too sure how they would take it, and having been ignored in the past when I tried to help a company not too sure if I will.

Hi Clive,

We don't bite, honest! :) 

Attached is our cad overlaid onto a photo of the real thing to demonstrate that the cantrail is indeed correct. It can be difficult to decipher on white on white CAD renders when it comes to shape etc. We should have a blog detailing processes on developing it in the coming days actually.

Cheers,

Fran

781727761_Delticcantrail.png.3206b0adda2926f7a8968c4d7d406283.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I did some work in the shed this morning and had a play with my latest... I don't know what youtube does, but the sound is significantly better in the flesh.  

I've got F6 (speed lock) on in this video, which allows me to rev the engine and not go anywhere.  (unintentional, haha!) I have to say that I am finding DCC sound adding hugely to my enjoyment.  I am using RealDrive, and it makes driving much more interesting.

I've been using DC since I were a lad (first train set, 1975) and I started looking at DCC in 1996 when I first got into US outline stuff.  No sound at that point.  23 years later, it finally does what I want - it mimics the behaviour of a real loco independent of any switches, sections, gubbins and so on.  In my case, it really is just two wires as well.  This is not to denigrate my DC chums, just my personal journey into finding a new way to enjoy my toy trains.

Eventually, I aim to have a fleet of DCC sound equipped locos and an analogue mechanical signalling system as that is the combination that interests me most, and replicates the era I am modelling.  I say modelling, I mean having fun with.

Some WR diesels will start making appropriate noises over the next few months.

Very nice, you need some nice high quality rolling stock to go behind it now. I know a man.... :)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 071 said:

Hi Clive,

We don't bite, honest! :) 

Attached is our cad overlaid onto a photo of the real thing to demonstrate that the cantrail is indeed correct. It can be difficult to decipher on white on white CAD renders when it comes to shape etc. We should have a blog detailing processes on developing it in the coming days actually.

Cheers,

Fran

781727761_Delticcantrail.png.3206b0adda2926f7a8968c4d7d406283.png

Hi Fran,

Are you at Ally Pally this year? If so can I come and have a prod and poke of the 3D printed model you had on display at Warley, please? That way I can see it better than trying to compare photos. I was just having a quick browse at some photos of St Paddy and looking at pictures of the same loco I cannot make up my mind where the curve on the grilles starts.

I am at the show all weekend with my tiny layout Pig Lane (British Railways Western Region)

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Fran,

Are you at Ally Pally this year? If so can I come and have a prod and poke of the 3D printed model you had on display at Warley, please? That way I can see it better than trying to compare photos. I was just having a quick browse at some photos of St Paddy and looking at pictures of the same loco I cannot make up my mind where the curve on the grilles starts.

I am at the show all weekend with my tiny layout Pig Lane (British Railways Western Region)

Hi Clive,

not 100% sure I’ll be there yet, but we are at Glasgow? I will say that the CAD used for the print has had corrections made to it (as that is its purpose of course) but I think the CAD overlay on the image above is pretty conclusive evidence that it is correct, is it not? It is certainly the CAD that is being used for tooling as it has been extensively bench pressed, but if I am there certainly drop by for a chat and look. Always good to put faces to names and have a natter!

Cheers!

Fran

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, 071 said:

Hi Clive,

not 100% sure I’ll be there yet, but we are at Glasgow? I will say that the CAD used for the print has had corrections made to it (as that is its purpose of course) but I think the CAD overlay on the image above is pretty conclusive evidence that it is correct, is it not? It is certainly the CAD that is being used for tooling as it has been extensively bench pressed, but if I am there certainly drop by for a chat and look. Always good to put faces to names and have a natter!

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran

I am at Glasgow as well. I am there with my friend's layout and I have been asked to bring along some of my cut and shut efforts to display.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Fran

I am at Glasgow as well. I am there with my friend's layout and I have been asked to bring along some of my cut and shut efforts to display.

Great Clive, if you drop over to our stand on the Friday or the Saturday you can meet our designer who will be able to talk you through everything before he returns home on Saturday evening.

Cheers!

Fran

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, 071 said:

Great Clive, if you drop over to our stand on the Friday or the Saturday you can meet our designer who will be able to talk you through everything before he returns home on Saturday evening.

Cheers!

Fran

You're a brave man, Fran - or at least your designer will need to be... :jester:

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2019 at 15:42, Clive Mortimore said:

It was always D1575 on the front when I use to trainspot at Bedford Midland Road. I do believe the Master Cutler was the only named train to go to three different London termini, have two different departing stations in Sheffield and to have been a Pullman at one point in time.

GCR, Sheffield Victoria to Marylebone

GNR, Sheffield Victoria to Kings Cross, Pullman

MR, Sheffield Midland to St Pancras

Finally managed to get back on the forum after a bit of a tussle, so apologies for being late to the party.

You've missed out Midland to Kings Cross, Pullman, Clive.

Mike.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

You're a brave man, Fran - or at least your designer will need to be... :jester:

It's easy to be brave when you know you're right :D but I do enjoy a debate. Mind you, my previous work in political communication was a cake walk compared to working for a model railway manufacturer! 

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, 071 said:

It's easy to be brave when you know you're right :D but I do enjoy a debate. Mind you, my previous work in political communication was a cake walk compared to working for a model railway manufacturer! 

Cheers,

Fran

Hi Fran

There is no need to be brave, I am only trying to help.

We already have one thing to agree on....politicians are easier than railway modellers. I was a parliamentary lobbyist when I was a union representative.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Fran

There is no need to be brave, I am only trying to help.

We already have one thing to agree on....politicians are easier than railway modellers. I was a parliamentary lobbyist when I was a union representative.  

I know you are Clive, I said it in jest as a response to Stubby's joke. We always appreciate help. :)

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2

I wouldn't want to say anything one way or the other about what's correct, but I would observe that actually being correct and "feeling right" are not necessarily the same thing. I have a recollection from when I used to do train simulation games, there it was apparent that some models, even if built from the BR drawings just didn't capture the essence of the real thing until some changes were made to make it less accurate. I suspect that's down to things like the viewpoint that enthusiasts typically have in real life as against the fact that a plastic or computer model can be seen from every angle imaginable. So in that field at least it was possible to be completely accurate but still not "right".

That might not be relevant to the particular issue at hand, though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

I wouldn't want to say anything one way or the other about what's correct, but I would observe that actually being correct and "feeling right" are not necessarily the same thing. I have a recollection from when I used to do train simulation games, there it was apparent that some models, even if built from the BR drawings just didn't capture the essence of the real thing until some changes were made to make it less accurate. I suspect that's down to things like the viewpoint that enthusiasts typically have in real life as against the fact that a plastic or computer model can be seen from every angle imaginable. So in that field at least it was possible to be completely accurate but still not "right".

That might not be relevant to the particular issue at hand, though.

Hi Zomboid

I know what you mean, I have a Lima class 20, looks like one but isn't right and that shows up against the Bachmann model which is more accurate but I still think the Hornby Doublo Type 1 captures the feel of a Chopper and I don't think there is one thing right with it. 

100_5108a.jpg.a1b1d914929ee9b688bbc0a79f5544fb.jpg

Should the mood take me and I get this one finished.......It isn't looking very well is it?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Last night I did eventually get the Gloucester DMU running. That is four more operational, not finished DMUs for Exchange. I will have a bash over the weekend to get the Tri-ang cut and shut Cravens going Brummmm Rattle  Brummm Rattle.

Last nights tune

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

It must be great to have to many locos ,the Pullmans look very good which bogies should be on them ?  Nice to see a post from Andy P how are you miss seeing your layouts on here but as long as you are okay keep posting.

Hi LMS

I believe they should be on 10 ft Pullman bogies, the ones that they are on are too short.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have an adblock for a reason , I don't like being told that it is slowing things down and disable it. I don't need adverts, if I want something I find where I can get it not having suggestions my life would be better if I brought something I didn't want.......I never had this with the old forum.

Over to DEVO....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jadvt7CbH1o

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have an adblock for a reason , I don't like being told that it is slowing things down and disable it. I don't need adverts, if I want something I find where I can get it not having suggestions my life would be better if I brought something I didn't want.......I never had this with the old forum.

Over to DEVO....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jadvt7CbH1o

Hi Clive,

My kind of grumpiness!!!

I am total agreement, contentment comes from within and not from the purchase of what someone else suggests that you need.

Gibbo.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lmsforever said:

It must be great to have to many locos ,the Pullmans look very good which bogies should be on them ?  Nice to see a post from Andy P how are you miss seeing your layouts on here but as long as you are okay keep posting.

Hi Bud, Actually I have TWO in the 7mm Section, Bala Town, a 1960's Steam Era BLT, and Seven Mills Sidings, a BR Blue 1980's MOD Exchange Sidings with a small Disused Halt and Fuelling Point. 

• Thanks 1

On 08/02/2019 at 00:20, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Fran

Hi Clive,

Which layout, I'll come and say hello.

Don't wish to be rude but the avatar photograph looks to be somewhat of its time shall we say.

Should you wish to avoid me just tell porkies about the name of the layout and have a laugh at some twerp asking  the right questions of the wrong people !

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Which layout, I'll come and say hello.

Don't wish to be rude but the avatar photograph looks to be somewhat of its time shall we say.

Should you wish to avoid me just tell porkies about the name of the layout and have a laugh at some twerp asking  the right questions of the wrong people !

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

I am helping on Tudwick Road. I am easy to spot I am the fat bald bloke.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2