Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have spent most of tonight packing away DMUs and diesel locos. Then getting out hauled coaches and unpacking steam locos. I am all set ready for a steam hauled only session.

A song for tonight

Did someone mention photos of Trains?:o

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Lookie 'ere matey I didn't have time but when I start the operating session I will take some to keep you happy.

Yeah, come on, photos please,  make an old man happy, I'm too old for other pleasures, :o:no:haha:mocking_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Yeah, come on, photos please,  make an old man happy, I'm too old for other pleasures, :o:no:haha:mocking_mini:

Talking about too old, you better move before your birthday at the end of next month. You won't be able to go anywhere when the lockdown of those over 70 comes into place. Now how is that food for thought?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

OK, Sage Clive:  we’ve sold our house but it’s six weeks between moving out and moving in to the new house (and that’s before C-19 delays) - how do I self isolate if I don’t have a house in which to do so!!!

:-)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Hi Clive,

I know I shouldn't drag you back to DMUs when you have finally got to running real trains (!!), but I couldn't resist telling you of an article I found the other day.

I was rummaging through a pile of magazines in a charity shop (as you do!) and found a copy of "Your Model Railway" from November 1984 which contained an article on "cut and shut" on a Lima 117 to make a Class 125.

Immediately I thought of you, Gibbo, and the other DMU cutters!

Now I know it is a stretch to see a 125 in Sheffield, but I was thinking that when they finished with them out of KX, instead of scrapping them, they were used to fill a gap in DMUs "up North"?

Of course you may well have this article, but if any one wants a copy please PM me and I'll post you a copy?

Cheers

Paul

2 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

OK, Sage Clive:  we’ve sold our house but it’s six weeks between moving out and moving in to the new house (and that’s before C-19 delays) - how do I self isolate if I don’t have a house in which to do so!!!

:-)

Paul.

Anyone got a spare garden shed?- just thinking out of the box!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Clive,

I know I shouldn't drag you back to DMUs when you have finally got to running real trains (!!), but I couldn't resist telling you of an article I found the other day.

I was rummaging through a pile of magazines in a charity shop (as you do!) and found a copy of "Your Model Railway" from November 1984 which contained an article on "cut and shut" on a Lima 117 to make a Class 125.

Now I know it is a stretch to see a 125 in Sheffield, but I was thinking that when they finished with them out of KX, instead of scrapping them, they were used to fill a gap in DMUs "up North"?

Of course you may well have this article, but if any one wants a copy please PM me and I'll post you a copy?

Cheers

Paul

Related, does anyone know which edition of IIRC Model Railway Constructor (back in the 1960s/early 70s) had the article on updating the Tri-ang Met Cam? Tidying down to the bottom of the railway boxes recently unearthed the half-finished job. Would quite like to finish it off for nostalgias sake but no longer have most of my old magazines. 

Happy to buy a scanned copy from somewhere like the British Library but don't know the editions to request.

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Clive,

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

With all my part done GER lines EMUs it would be criminal not to have a Derby 3 car hydraulic orange star Lea Valley set like this one to go with them. 

003a.jpg.358fcb0144c3a450d1a0860044e1bf0e.jpg

The Driving Motor Second, the body is the same as a late build class 116, the under thingies were not.

006a.jpg.1587e92794bf234af4e7cd583943c9ca.jpg

The Trailer Second, the windows and seating was different to a class 116.

007a.jpg.a850a04efdb785746c3bce8a0b158ab1.jpg

The Driving Motor Brake Second again very similar to a class 116.

Livery wise, they were never lined when green. All were withdrawn in blue.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Talking about too old, you better move before your birthday at the end of next month. You won't be able to go anywhere when the lockdown of those over 70 comes into place. Now how is that food for thought?

Yes Clive, as you know mine is soon so I might consider a crash course in dog walking before it is too late. It appears that may be allowed along with food shopping, for the dog or oneself I'm not sure.

Anyway, plenty of time for layout building or changes. Just get your track purchases done before the self isolating points panic buying starts.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Don't mind dying, (part of life) but not just yet, I want to finish my layout............!

manna

Don't we all!

Do people who have not finished their layout by the time of death go to heaven or hell I wonder.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Bogie said:

Don't we all!

Do people who have not finished their layout by the time of death go to heaven or hell I wonder.

G'Day Folks

Don't know about Heaven or Hell, think I'd go into Limbo, wondering why after all these years, I never finished it ! Probably building to many engines.

And would working at Kings Cross Passenger loco, moving engines about for eternity on cold wet nights be classified Heaven or Hell..............? ? ?:lol::lol:

manna

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Clive,

Cheers

Paul

I saw a few DMBSs at Swindon

• Like 1

On 16/03/2020 at 10:33, Andrew P said:

Be positive Andy. Think of yourself as being aged 20 with 50 years experience. All you’ll need then is an Elvis wig, an 18 year old girl friend in a short skirt who likes train sets , and a Harley Davidson.  

Peace and Lurve man. :)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

2 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Be positive Andy. Think of yourself as being aged 20 with 50 years experience. All you’ll need then is an Elvis wig, an 18 year old girl friend in a short skirt who likes train sets , and a Harley Davidson.  

Peace and Lurve man. :)

You mean a wig like this.

Red Nose day 2005 and YES, I went to work like this as Business Manager.:good::D

448064385_rednoseday2005a.JPG.c2a3a4c4b3fd495dc83be60a75c7ba20.JPG

959476066_rednoseday2005b.JPG.b42bea4094e3fe1ba800769217362c54.JPG

1774729600_rednoseday2005c.JPG.9b861ee13633733c332f72086dc1ef18.JPG

• Like 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/06/2014 at 20:13, Clive Mortimore said:

Sheffield Exchange Mk1 which was fun to operate and if like me at the time you don't have much room by all means copy it and enjoy running it

Going back all the way to the update in the 1st post, well Clive, I plan to take that plunge in the near future once I have finished laying the other station on the layout. I have an 8ft by 16inch area just begging to use this plan. Who knows, I may even listen to the odd tune from this thread whilst building it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

OK photo time for Mr P.

The start of the session

001.jpg.2195f134aa0c7d126f3abb7c204c435b.jpg

Ready and waiting in the Manchester sidings

010.jpg.08e77f77c3dd5e9df1cadadd4a34d3a0.jpg

Across the room all lined up in the Doncaster sidings.

003.jpg.2580c234aaa4692795183ff6e4d6de51.jpg

At the buffer stops, not as colourful and as bright as a line up of DMUs, but I am sure they are more pleasing to the spotters.

005.jpg.ec257e2658c7ea0769ab97b43ca57d49.jpg

An empty stock train waiting for departure.

006.jpg.a45023ea40c6d2bf481f8d2de137bab9.jpg

A standard five sitting patiently for the cleaners to sweep through the train  and then for the passengers for York to get on board. 007.jpg.ad4d5260d971192d7fc59dc866dff78b.jpg

A shot over looking the newly built diesel servicing area. There is a diesel sitting there, it arrived for driver training but has broken down so is awaiting the fitter from Derby to fix her. She might be there for some time. 011.jpg.b775338b72f0c2ba7dee5db9506fcfbb.jpg

The state of the old GNR loco sidings at the start of the session.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The first two trains are now circulating the play room. Both are headed by Black Fives...I do like a Black Five or two.

012.jpg.1007d17039042921d374bec0d1d8e085.jpg

Caught on camera as they pass near Doncaster junction. I must pack away the Colchester box and Pig Lane's admin and canteen block. 

014.jpg.b7959a61262be6bed13ac201ca3a74e5.jpg

The V2 comes off shed ready to take the Liverpool to Hull early morning express on its last leg of its journey.

018.jpg.580e110470322d2a725436360c3232ac.jpg

The Leeds train arrives, it is formed of non-gangway stock. no wonder the new DMUs were welcomed as every passenger could access a toilet on the new trains.

020.jpg.6d2c16b56c4b8467c3d1a0dccd7c265b.jpg

There were two photographers who recorded this every day event.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1