Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

She's an American, so it'll be a reference to the truck manufacturer currently known as Freightliner, but formerly known as White Freightliner.

Are you sure White Freightliner, is about the truck company? Townes Van Zandt who wrote it also had a friend called codine as mentioned in this song of his.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Are you sure White Freightliner, is about the truck company? Townes Van Zandt who wrote it also had a friend called codine as mentioned in this song of his.

The first line of the lyrics for "White Freightliner Blues" is:

"I'm going out on the highway, listen to them big trucks whine"

"White Freightliner" being one of the major manufacturers of the big trucks found on highways in the USA is not a random coincidence. It's clearly an intentional reference.

It's definitely not a reference to the (unconnected) UK Freightliner company, which most Americans have never heard of.

Note that I'm not ruling out other layered references using slang meanings of the words -- good songs work on several levels, and I'm sure this is no exception.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

The first line of the lyrics for "White Freightliner Blues" is:

"I'm going out on the highway, listen to them big trucks whine"

"White Freightliner" being one of the major manufacturers of the big trucks found on highways in the USA is not a random coincidence. It's clearly an intentional reference.

It's definitely not a reference to the (unconnected) UK Freightliner company, which most Americans have never heard of.

Note that I'm not ruling out other layered references using slang meanings of the words -- good songs work on several levels, and I'm sure this is no exception.

They would know about Brookfield Infrastructure Partners aka  Genesee & Wyoming and all the small lines it owns and operates

image.png.dffa27ca9659ead537d7e136ed751614.png

A Santa Fe rebuild of a EMD F7 to a CF7 hood unit.

Even some First Fleeters might know about them

image.png.941bcd1aebe6dab266eb6210430c740d.png

And continental Europeans might have heard about them.

image.png.bf51ac0952df65b1bca2a2743faabcbf.png

That Bumble Bee livery gets everywhere.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks Clive, this song takes me back to the halls at Poly in 1991-2, when "Out of Time" had just come out and someone on my corridor played it every day for what seemed like months.  Kate Pierson has always had an amazing voice, no-one else sounds remotely quite like her.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Sure I saw about 5 of these on a Train through Sante Fe Junction Cam (Kansas City) a couple of days back.

What's a 'Hood Unit'?

A "hood Unit" is a locomotive that looks like this EMD GP7

image.png.43e42cc133799254d4f287cd133d27a8.png

As opposed to a "Car Body" locomotive which looks like this EMD F7.

image.png.6b569e19ae905e24c679d5659324969e.png

The GP7 and F7 were basically the same inside, same engine, generator, traction motors , bogies etc.

Santa Fe Railroad rebuilt a lot of its F7s into "Hood Units" to make the GF7 which look similar to GP7s but with a funny shaped cab.

image.png.b987625c0e1b7d790a526faa49009ab7.png

EMD also made these BL2 which again had the same basic inners as the GP and F units. But weren't either "Car Body" or "Hood" Units. Santa Fe wasn't daft enough to buy any.

image.png.f27f8820d6a2879a9a668a10bad24b03.png

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, john new said:

If we are asking about US nick names.  What are War Bonnet types? Are they the ones with the sticky out ‘ears’ behind the cab?

"War Bonnet" was a livery style, as used by Santa Fe and Delaware and Hudson used a similar livery which is sometimes called "War Bonnet"

image.png.d09ea9dd262eaf3b9fc3a662631b65d3.png

A Santa Fe Alco PA 1

image.png.30e984fade45f9631bcfda739a2d7b5b.png

A D&H Alco PA 4

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

image.png.6b569e19ae905e24c679d5659324969e.png

American diesels have almost always prioritised function over form but the F7 in Santa Fe silver, yellow & red livery is probably still the best-looking US diesel ever built.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

American diesels have almost always prioritised function over form but the F7 in Santa Fe silver, yellow & red livery is probably still the best-looking US diesel ever built.

We can all have our favorites.

image.png.22506685a8d32e5682dd3053ae91db56.png

EMD SD45-2

image.png.269091c594701747327494fcf39485d4.png

Alco C424

image.png.436774a408645407ce4b1ed5e2ebf36c.png

GE U33C

image.png.18cccc8f12f1e8d6546e6e195e65c61a.png

Fairbanks Morse Train Master H24-66 with a rebuilt Baldwin slug.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

They would know about Brookfield Infrastructure Partners aka  Genesee & Wyoming and all the small lines it owns and operates

Yes, they absolutely would know about Genesee & Wyoming. But they wouldn't know that one of those shortlines it operates is called Freightliner.

18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Even some First Fleeters might know about them

image.png.941bcd1aebe6dab266eb6210430c740d.png

Ah, now Freightliner *is* known about down there, because they got *actual* freighliner, not just G&W:

Cotton Train

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am getting into this band in a big way

Clive,

This must be an AI creation!

This has to be an elaborate Capitalist Paper Tiger plot to overthrow the wonderful workers paradise that is North Korea! Is it real? I have not had such a good laugh for ages, even Mrs B fell about laughing. Brill stuff Sir.

Another way of looking at it is that the North Korean's have a very sophisticated sense of humour, perhaps there is hope?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I have had comments, said politely, about the length or lack off of the platforms of Sheffield Exchange. Using the 1954 LMR Central Division Loads of Passenger Trains book I will demonstrate why they are nearly correct. I will also be using the @St Enodoc rule of 6/10ths as a back up. 

Cover.jpg.3d197054b4ac2e4cdf9978e1bfa9c6d9.jpg

Sheffield Exchange is based on the idea that the L&YR and GNR built a joint station in Sheffield, like they did in Bradford and Leeds. Like both their West Yorkshire stations the climb out of Sheffield Exchange would be difficult, as explained to me by @Enterprisingwestern a couple of years ago. Therefore it can be assumed the train loadings would be similar.

loads.jpg.b01d06aaaecd625eaeb055ad906b18cc.jpg

I worked out the number of coaches per power class of loco by dividing the load by following the procedures laid down in this document.

30tons.jpg.8bff7b0416afb3bac3ddde3b5c3a1d27.jpg

Lastly and this where the Sainty 6/10ths formula comes into play, the platform lengths.

Platformlength.jpg.d02b1beedefb04bc031cd6fdbcda2036.jpg

Sheffexloads.jpg.6a7a8260f8718d8cedc5ffa36794bfc5.jpg

I have used the Up train loads on the assumption that a heavier Down train coming in would too heavy to make the return Up journey.

Notes

Special rules for Sheffield Exchange class 7 locomotives when hauling a train with dining car with kitchen are restricted to 7 coaches and class 6 locomotives to 6 coaches. Buffet and Cafeteria cars are counted the same as ordinary coaches.

Locomotives hauling empty stock to the nearby carriage sidings can take one more coach than their stated load.

Class 4 locomotives are restricted to 5 gangwayed coaches or 6 non gangwayed, when I divided the load of 170 by 30 it came out as 5.66 so I rounded up for non-gangway and down for gangway.

I hope this shows that the platforms at Sheffield Exchange while looking short are so because of the train loads.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I can hear people shouting "What about diesel train loads".

A type 2 diesel is equal to a class five steam loco.

A type 3 diesel is equal to a class six steam loco.

A type 4 diesel is equal to a class seven steam loco.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

And a type 1 diesel is only equal to a carriage heater

Don't be daft, they ain't got steam generators to warm up the carriages.

All Type 1 diesels are freight only and only in emergencies will they be used on passenger trains, and when used they are equal to a class four steam loco.

While on the subject of locomotives I have edited the list of classes that appear in the Loads of Passenger Trains books to those which possibly would be seen at Sheffield Exchange during the period of time that I am modelling.

locos.jpg.0789c62fed151bf5b72ee521bfb03258.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Notes to the above list of locomotives.

In passenger service the LMS class 6 2-6-0s have proved to be good hill climbers but cannot maintain class 6 timings therefore are limited to the same trains and timings of class 5 locomotives.

The LNER class 3 2-6-2T (class V1) have proved to be equal to a class 4 tank engine and therefore can work the same trains and timings as a class 4 locomotive.

• Like 3