Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

post-16423-0-31784200-1547394723_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-99958900-1547394876_thumb.jpg

It is held at the (imaginary) signal for a brief moment then makes its way to the headshunt for the stabling point.

post-16423-0-31549600-1547394975_thumb.jpg

The shunter changes the point and the driver reverses the train on to the fuel tanker siding.

post-16423-0-09744400-1547395186_thumb.jpg

After coupling up the empties and fulls are pulled on to the headshunt.

post-16423-0-70997200-1547395282_thumb.jpg

The points are set so the empties and brake can be temporarily parked across the points leading to the loco sidings.

post-16423-0-57137100-1547395422_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-36800200-1547395592_thumb.jpg

The full tank wagons are propelled into the siding so they can discharge their load.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Now the empties need to be sent back to the refinery, like with the loco coal empties the loco is at the wrong end. This time platform 4 is used for running round.

post-16423-0-39166200-1547395888_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-75512900-1547395904_thumb.jpg

The train is shunted back to the (make believe) signal on the L&YR departure line. Again things are held up as a Manchester arrival heads for platform one.

post-16423-0-92114200-1547396097_thumb.jpg

Once the train is in Platform four the shunter can uncouple the loco so it can perform its run round.

post-16423-0-46337500-1547396192_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-73918100-1547396211_thumb.jpg

Thankfully nothing has been dumped in the center siding meaning the loco can head to the (fictitious) signal.

post-16423-0-95138100-1547396358_thumb.jpg

This time there is no delay waiting for a time tabled train to arrive or leave. Now some of you will be asking why go all that way back, well that is how it will be signaled. There could be moves under control of the signalman and hand signals from a shunter or responsible person but taking locos etc back to the shunt signal is normally safer.

post-16423-0-57383200-1547396711_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-20214000-1547396780_thumb.jpg

As the train departs the guard looks at his watch and thinks "Late finish again! She will be in a bad mood and my dinner will be all shriveled up where it has been put in the oven to keep warm".

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 9

Hi Doc

Can you post a track plan indicating what each track is, it might be helpful for the signalling gurus.

I will certainly do that, thanks Clive.  In the meantime, I'm happy to report that the station area was wired up this afternoon and tested.  And it all works splendidly.

I only used two wires 'n all  :jester:

The tracks were tested by my beloved Big GM...

post-238-0-15919600-1547401168_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-69593000-1547401190_thumb.jpg

I may have lost the faith with modelling US railroads, but I'll always be an EMD man at heart.

BR should have bought these en-masse in the mid 70s.  Perhaps they will in my parallel universe...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I will certainly do that, thanks Clive.  In the meantime, I'm happy to report that the station area was wired up this afternoon and tested.  And it all works splendidly.

I only used two wires 'n all  :jester:

The tracks were tested by my beloved Big GM...

attachicon.gif20190113_163220.jpg

attachicon.gif20190113_163305.jpg

I may have lost the faith with modelling US railroads, but I'll always be an EMD man at heart.

BR should have bought these on mass in the mid 70s.  Perhaps they will in my parallel universe...

BR should have done a lot of things but like all nationalised industries and national organisations when you change the bosses and moneymen every four to five years and in that time reinvent the policies naff all is achieved that makes the coal face look any better. Big organisations need a long term plan not a short term fix. I will get off my soap box now.

As for GM GE locos, they always look ugly compared to their EMD equivalent. A DDA40X looks powerful where a U50 looks like it is about to fall of the tracks. But then a Alco C855, beauty on wheels.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have run an eight car DMU, 2x 3 car +1x 2car and it looked good. I am now running a Type 3 on the front of a six coach train and I know it is a short train but it looks right. Progressing (I thing that is the best word to describe the loco hauling) is a six coach suburban with a Brush doing the pulling going the opposite way.

I am battling with the triangle. For a scenic break I am going to have a bridge over each line, that is a given I don't fancy tunnels. I still like the idea of the buffer end of a goods yard with the lorries, vans and wagons being loaded/unloaded but I am not to sure about the bridge across the sidings and cartways.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I still like the idea of the buffer end of a goods yard with the lorries, vans and wagons being loaded/unloaded but I am not to sure about the bridge across the sidings and cartways.

Perhaps they could 'emerge' from a large shed?

• RMweb Premium

What a way to spend a Sunday night, I have just used one of Friday's new isolating sections in anger, I am watching a class 114 go one way and a 108 and 101 combined train going the other as I munch on various crackers and biscuits with some Cheddar, Red Leicester and Double Gloucester to accompany them, with Spotify playing various female indie and punk bands in the background. Gotta do somefing now there is no Dr Who on a Sunday.

Please no debate about Jodie as Dr Who, I enjoyed the series and don't care about anyone else's view.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps they could 'emerge' from a large shed?

Hi Ian

Thanks. I thought about that as an option but can't seem to find a goods shed where both the rail and road vehicles appeared out the rear of it. Normally it was the road vehicles one end and the tracks out the other.

Why do I end up with either some surplus butter, or an extra cracker or like tonight a lump of Cheddar that has nothing to sit on. :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Like Moor Street Goods Yard maybe?

Oh er missus, looks like it has potential.

post-16423-0-86793000-1547418959.png

Over the L&YR line is a main road possibly multi lane, running parallel with the goods shed. The other bridge is a minor road that bends soon after crossing the GNR line, it has a junction which slopes down into the yard. I even have a name for the yard, "Halham potato and vegetable". Then the shed is acting as a cover for the transshipment from rail to road not a goods shed where storage can also take place. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Signalling gurus . . .

Are the trap point police allowed out too? Only so that you know where to pretend they are.

I do like the description against the Docks Branch.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Edit:Posted before I saw the plan above.

So the two set of lines curve in to the station throat and both come under road bridges.

Between them you want the ends of (unconnected) sidings, but you don't want a third bridge over these and the access roadways.

Why not have the 2 bridges angled across the tracks, so the roads meet at a Y junction? This would give more room for the sidings & lorries, but would also help disguise the exit of the sidings as they 'curve' under one of the two roads. You might also have room for the sloped access ramp to the yard for the road vehicles.

Edited by Stubby47

Oh er missus, looks like it has potential.

attachicon.gifTriangle idea.png

Over the L&YR line is a main road possibly multi lane, running parallel with the goods shed. The other bridge is a minor road that bends soon after crossing the GNR line, it has a junction which slopes down into the yard. I even have a name for the yard, "Halham potato and vegetable". Then the shed is acting as a cover for the transshipment from rail to road not a goods shed where storage can also take place. 

And use for the Good Ladies Orses.

• RMweb Premium

Edit:Posted before I saw the plan above.

So the two set of lines curve in to the station throat and both come under road bridges.

Between them you want the ends of (unconnected) sidings, but you don't want a third bridge over these and the access roadways.

Why not have the 2 bridges angled across the tracks, so the roads meet at a Y junction? This would give more room for the sidings & lorries, but would also help disguise the exit of the sidings as they 'curve' under one of the two roads. You might also have room for the sloped access ramp to the yard for the road vehicles.

Hi Stu

Could you be kind enough when you have a spare moment and do me a sketch. You seem to have a knack for scenic ideas.

Cheers.

• Like 1