Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

FWIW I'm a great believer in the "consistency" principle, which I first came across years ago in one of Iain Rice's books.

Having one or two items on a layout that would win a prize in the MRJ is a surefire way I'd suggest to make everything else look rubbish, and cause huge and possibly terminal dissatisfaction to the owner. (Not that I've ever produced such lofty items I hasten to add).

I also follow the EM gauge 70's thread, and wonderful it is. Even though I'm from the other end of the country, "Hornsey Broadway" really does it for me, and a big part of that is the whole layout looks of a piece (and I've yet to see it in the flesh). I frankly couldn't care less that it isn't a real location on a map, it oozes BR (ER) in London, and brings back memories as a schoolboy of trips out to Stratford and Finsbury Park in the early '70's. I'm obviously not determined or possibly skilled enough or both to hit that level, but it doesn't stop me liking a layout that captures my formative years. Nor do I then look at my own stuff and want to chuck it in the bin. Once upon a time my competitive instincts might have pushed me in that direction, but thankfully they've relented over the last few years and now I enjoy stuff a lot more.

And that, as you've mentioned several times before, is surely what this is all about? We only live once, so best not spend our time beating ourselves up!

John.

• Like 3

Hi All

Here is a thought, at what level do I say "That is good enough for me"?

I always like the modelling that Kier Hardy does, it is wonderful. Today on his Hornsey Broadway thread he showed a photo of some BR Mk 1 non-gangway stock he is making from Bachmann 2EPB stock. I enquired as to why he was going that route, and Kier's answer makes sense as the end result will be a better looking model of a set of Mk1 non gangway coaches than just opening the boxes and plonking the Bachmann models on the track.

On my layout at the moment are two rakes of Mk1 non gangway coaches, they are the Bachmann model and to me look fine, even without flush glazing. Now am I dropping my standards, not reaching expected present standards or just content with my lot.

I am not comparing my modelling with Kier's but my own standards. Something to think about in the long term of building the Exchange.

From normal viewing distance are you happy with the way they look?

• RMweb Gold

My philosophy is if it looks to me like a representation of what it is supposed to be I don't give a tinkers cuss if it's a few mill out. The key is looking ok from normal viewing distance. Your layout Clive has that atmosphere, like the old Sherwood Section had, because even without the scenery you are filling in the blanks, it isn't a random DMU it is a service to wherever.

Atmosphere is what matters and, as looking back at old magazines shows, that is as much down to operations as scenics and scale fidelity. It is why my annual calendar is always one of railway posters, and why the train picture on my wall is a repro' Cuneo not a photo. Others take a different view and MRJ proves there are Modellers who can do it in cruel close up, that said there are a some beautifully modelled, very accurate, totally boring layouts on the exhibition circuit - build quality first class - draw power as an overall spectacle poor as total persuit of scale fidelity has somehow ignored the overall picture. The individual parts don't make a successful whole.

It takes a modeller with an eye for atmosphere, plus top quality skills, to get it right on both counts. Gordon Gravett is one of those, I know I am not.

Edited by john new
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I read that on the Hornsey Broadway thread and also his reply to you which I found interesting.  I too have a lot of Bachmann BR Suburbans on my layout and have hit on a kind of 'half way house' upgrade.

I used Lazerglaze, and take his point about it being difficult with multi-windowed coaches to get them all to lie in the same plane.  With ones I'd repainted myself, the thickness of the paint (from aerosol) was enough to make it a right pain and I wouldn't recommend it.  But with 'ex box' coaches (crimson livery) the Lazerglaze seemed to be easy enough to fit.

On the underframes I've used the brake cylinder and V hanger mouldings from Replica Railways' set of Mk 1 underframe detailing parts which are easy enough to fit (although you need to drill some holes); I think the rest looks fine as it is.  I did toy with the idea of using Replica BG underframe mouldings (which he also suggested) but was put off by the fact that the Bachmann underframes already have the continuous step boards for non gangwayed coaches moulded in place whereas the BG underframe wouldn't have.

I also remove or at least reduce the 'ribs' across the roof, and re-paint the roof, and the seats.  I'm happy enough with the results and plan to work my way through my fleet in the same way, but have to say I find repetitive stuff like that boring so I haven't got very far!

I must admit I don't find the difference that great and I don't find the ones I haven't done yet bother me too much.  I did wonder whether Bachmann might one day just upgrade them with new glazing, but then I'd have to fork out to replace the ones I've already got!

Hope this helps,

Steve

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Here is a thought, at what level do I say "That is good enough for me"?

I always like the modelling that Kier Hardy does, it is wonderful. Today on his Hornsey Broadway thread he showed a photo of some BR Mk 1 non-gangway stock he is making from Bachmann 2EPB stock. I enquired as to why he was going that route, and Kier's answer makes sense as the end result will be a better looking model of a set of Mk1 non gangway coaches than just opening the boxes and plonking the Bachmann models on the track.

On my layout at the moment are two rakes of Mk1 non gangway coaches, they are the Bachmann model and to me look fine, even without flush glazing. Now am I dropping my standards, not reaching expected present standards or just content with my lot.

I am not comparing my modelling with Kier's but my own standards. Something to think about in the long term of building the Exchange.

You are trading the time needed to make something different (better?) against the convenience of using something as-built - leaving you the time to do something else such as building more locos or DMUs - or, dare I say it, playing trains. It's a fundamental part of my modelling philosophy - buy what I can leaving me time to build what I can't.

Postscript - when everything else on the layout is finished (ha ha) I have lots of coach kits that I will be able to build so as to replace some of the RTR versions I'm using in the meantime.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

You are trading the time needed to make something different (better?) against the convenience of using something as-built - leaving you the time to do something else such as building more locos or DMUs - or, dare I say it, playing trains. It's a fundamental part of my modelling philosophy - buy what I can leaving me time to build what I can't.

Postscript - when everything else on the layout is finished (ha ha) I have lots of coach kits that I will be able to build so as to replace some of the RTR versions I'm using in the meantime.

Hi John

I am not sure if I am trading time because in between driving toy trains I think I am trying to set them in realistic surroundings and for them to appear as realistic as I can make them and at the same time operate the layout so it looks like real railway operation. A BIG ASK but achievable as long as my eyes, hands and mind are capable of working and working together.

Back to Mk1 non-gangway stock, yes I would love to have them all flush glazed, screw couplings, the battery box on the brake seconds in the right place, painted in the correct liveries and weathered. How long and when this will happen is unknown as a I model what I want, when I want to and if I want to. But two six coach suburban trains even now doing 50 mph around the room, one with a LMS class 4 tank and the other a BR type 2 looks as the Americans would say AWESOME......

As do two five car DMUs especially when I get my act together and drive them in at the same time so the arrive on adjacent platforms. Pure diamond.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Right I am sulking, nothing new for Sheffield Exchange from Hornby, wot about a class 104 DMU or a Class 100 or a Stanier class 3 2-6-2T. No another LMS Princess, so what am I to do with all my Tri-ang ones, convert them to Black Fives? A few more of their re-release of the LMS period 3 non gangway coaches will be handy. Otherwise it was not worth turning the computer on for my layout's requirements.

I have added a new DMU to the layout a Derby and BRCW 2 car. From my conversion to make my Derby 4 car unit I had a spare Bachy 108 DMBS and seeing Andy's post above reminded me of a surplus 110 center car, so this morning a took a file to the BRCW coach and it is now a DTC. Just right for the locals to Barnsley, Huddersfield and Halifax.

• Like 4

Right I am sulking, nothing new for Sheffield Exchange from Hornby, wot about a class 104 DMU or a Class 100 or a Stanier class 3 2-6-2T. No another LMS Princess, so what am I to do with all my Tri-ang ones, convert them to Black Fives? A few more of their re-release of the LMS period 3 non gangway coaches will be handy. Otherwise it was not worth turning the computer on for my layout's requirements.

I have added a new DMU to the layout a Derby and BRCW 2 car. From my conversion to make my Derby 4 car unit I had a spare Bachy 108 DMBS and seeing Andy's post above reminded me of a surplus 110 center car, so this morning a took a file to the BRCW coach and it is now a DTC. Just right for the locals to Barnsley, Huddersfield and Halifax.

IIRC from your DMU thread you already have a class 100 and perhaps several 104's.

What might have been of interest to many would be a Trans - Pennine unit to current standards, but obviously not to be.

I tend to view these "announcement days" as being of interest to see what models are about to be superceded, often by only marginal tweeks, and will therefore come up on ebay as a bargain and be candidates for a bit of fettling! 

John.

• RMweb Premium

IIRC from your DMU thread you already have a class 100 and perhaps several 104's.

What might have been of interest to many would be a Trans - Pennine unit to current standards, but obviously not to be.

I tend to view these "announcement days" as being of interest to see what models are about to be superceded, often by only marginal tweeks, and will therefore come up on ebay as a bargain and be candidates for a bit of fettling! 

John.

Hi John , yes I do have a 100 and 104 which I have made from 110s but a present day standard models of  them (in green with small yellas) would be nice for others as well as me.

• Like 1

Still Bachmann to go who do do a nice DMU - surely a nice Inter City DMU of the Trans Pennine variety would be popular, maybe a Swindon equivalent later.

A Swindon Cross Country 120 might be something Heljan will consider in 00.

Hi Woodenhead,

I have wanted a Swindon class 123 IC DMU for years but no one makes one so I built my own and here it is,

post-34584-0-91928700-1546903477_thumb.jpg

The body side profile is not quite right but I'm happy with it !

I have done a cut and shut Park Royal 103 from a Hornby 110 and also converted the same into a 3 car 104 to go with my various DC Kits DMU's, two 2 car Cravens, a Derby 108, and a Met Cam 101, yet to build, a Derby light weight. In the parcels department a Cravens 129 from a Triang Hornby Mk1 BG with scratch built ends and a Gloucester 128 from a Hornby Mk2.

Build your own its great fun !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Woodenhead,

I have wanted a Swindon class 123 IC DMU for years but no one makes one so I built my own and here it is,

attachicon.gifDSCF0121.JPG

The body side profile is not quite right but I'm happy with it !

I have done a cut and shut Park Royal 103 from a Hornby 110 and also converted the same into a 3 car 104 to go with my various DC Kits DMU's, two 2 car Cravens, a Derby 108, and a Met Cam 101, yet to build, a Derby light weight. In the parcels department a Cravens 129 from a Triang Hornby Mk1 BG with scratch built ends and a Gloucester 128 from a Hornby Mk2.

Build your own its great fun !!!

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Over the years I have bashed a Cravens from Mk1s and a Cravens parcels, a Transpennine, an 8 car Swindon Inter City from Mk1s. Started on a Glasgow set, photocopied drawings on to 10 thou plastic card overlays. The window bars were to delicate for me and a craft knife. A Swindon Cross Country, Craftsman sides, and a Gloucester one, MTK. MTK and Craftsman Gloucester parcels. From the Hornby 110, Derby light weight, both single cars, BUT engine BRCWs, Gloucester 2 car, Derby heavy weight, Derby long underframe and Derby lightweight (blue square). From the Lima 117 a 125 and 127. 

Never done a Park Royal from a 110, but have a part built MTK one, along with a Wickhams, a Met-cam, a Derby long underframe, a BRCW and a Cravens. I did start a DC kit Met-cam, and a Cravens, they moved on to other people.

DMU modellers are a rare breed but there is so many that will never be RTR so we can still have fun.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have two reasonably long in model terms DMUs running around a eight car off to York with a met-cam buffet car in its formation and three 2 car units forming a Leeds stopper. Next due in the station will be a parcels from Hull and a local 2 car Derby DMU from Barnsley

Apart form getting on and finishing some scenics and stock I am very happy with my train set. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Pictures.

Especially of proof of sir operating. He prefers to spot than drive.

Richard

I couldn't go poking my Micky Mouse camera at Tony. He had already commented , politely, on the amount of unfinished stock I have, I wasn't going to cause him to much agony or hilarity with my camera.

To be honest we were too busy I forgot it, same as I forgot to get the salad out the fridge for lunch.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

Hi Gibbo

Over the years I have bashed a Cravens from Mk1s and a Cravens parcels, a Transpennine, an 8 car Swindon Inter City from Mk1s. Started on a Glasgow set, photocopied drawings on to 10 thou plastic card overlays. The window bars were to delicate for me and a craft knife. A Swindon Cross Country, Craftsman sides, and a Gloucester one, MTK. MTK and Craftsman Gloucester parcels. From the Hornby 110, Derby light weight, both single cars, BUT engine BRCWs, Gloucester 2 car, Derby heavy weight, Derby long underframe and Derby lightweight (blue square). From the Lima 117 a 125 and 127. 

Never done a Park Royal from a 110, but have a part built MTK one, along with a Wickhams, a Met-cam, a Derby long underframe, a BRCW and a Cravens. I did start a DC kit Met-cam, and a Cravens, they moved on to other people.

DMU modellers are a rare breed but there is so many that will never be RTR so we can still have fun.

Hi Clive,

I've had root around in the "as yet nearly started box" and pulled these out for your perusal. The drawing that I did is not dimensioned but the windows are as the 110 cut and shut except for the guards compartment windows which are to the same height as the door windows the larger one being 10mm and the smaller 8mm wide. I worked from photos and diagrams on Railcar.co.uk

Class 103's were a rare treat on the Southport to Wigan line, I would think deputising for failed 104's as the 103's worked Chester to Manchester services in the 1970's.

post-34584-0-36087900-1547068620_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-15937000-1547068646_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-09681000-1547068673_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-53006600-1547068705_thumb.jpg

I have previously wondered about a 310 EMU from Lima 117's and bits of MK2 but fortunately the lunacy has somewhat subsided.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

I've had root around in the "as yet nearly started box" and pulled these out for your perusal. The drawing that I did is not dimensioned but the windows are as the 110 cut and shut except for the guards compartment windows which are to the same height as the door windows the larger one being 10mm and the smaller 8mm wide. I worked from photos and diagrams on Railcar.co.uk

Class 103's were a rare treat on the Southport to Wigan line, I would think deputising for failed 104's as the 103's worked Chester to Manchester services in the 1970's.

attachicon.gifDSCF0595.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0596.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0597.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0598.JPG

I have previously wondered about a 310 EMU from Lima 117's and bits of MK2 but fortunately the lunacy has somewhat subsided.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Very nice. food for thought there.....next time I see a 110 at a good price at a show.

Edit class 310/312s and cheap Hornby Mk2 coaches with overlays are also on the target, trouble is they were blue when new (except the GNR 312s were blue grey).

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Hi Gibbo

Very nice. food for thought there.....next time I see a 110 at a good price at a show.

Edit class 310/312s and cheap Hornby Mk2 coaches with overlays are also on the target, trouble is they were blue when new (except the GNR 312s were blue grey).

Hi Clive,

I'm fine with blue because 1973 is about as far back as the memory goes, not bad for a 1970 model.

Good old eBay;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-lot-of-Hornby-Class-110-104-DMU-bodies-glazing-spares-Free-P-P/143081756436

Gibbo.

I take it you are sulking about the rather poor Hornby 2019 catalogue?

There’s only two locos that caught my eye- the Black Five 45379 which will become 45370 and is preordered..

The 7MT Anzac which is not preordered as I really wanted them to bring back the 6MT Clan...

It really lacks useable subjects. Would be nice to see a 2MT 2-6-0, Stanier coaches in BR Maroon, Stanier Tank or like you say some decent DMU’s like you say.

Anyway keep up the good work :)

Edited by danstercivicman

• RMweb Premium

From now on I am only posting on my own threads. I am fed up with people giving English lessons to others when they don't show there 'king modelling or think they have a right to do so.

If u understod wot I rote, wots ur proplem.

Please read the polite note I put on my signature.

• Like 3