Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

I like the idea of the good shed/transshipment unit being a good scenic break.

The Moor Street one was high level. Underneath was an arch based goods yard. There was a big wagon lift which took wagons up and down and transversers.

Either way it would make a fantastic break! Very urban and grimy!

There used to be a very long youtube about the modernisation of Sheffield’s goods shed.

I can only find this link:

Sketch is fine! It conveys the idea well enough :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dan

Last night when I came up with the name "Halham spud and green stuff yard", I did think it would be more appropriate as a smallish inner city yard where it would be mainly goods in to feed the population. Smalls and sundries are dealt with in the goods shed the other side of the backscene. Most bigger stuff would start its journey from a private siding.

Definately sounds like a plan. I’ve toyed with the idea myself especially as a scenic break for minories style layouts.

Perishables makes perfect sense. Market traffic, fish and fruit wagons.

Many urban goods yards were raised or lower than the passenger termini so there’s prototype for those. A ghost spur off one of the lines could ‘suffice’ as entry point maybe?

Definately a good idea :)

My Stranraer build is on hold due to work and poorly child :s

• RMweb Premium

Definately sounds like a plan. I’ve toyed with the idea myself especially as a scenic break for minories style layouts.

Many urban goods yards were raised or lower than the passenger termini so there’s prototype for those. A ghost spur off one of the lines could ‘suffice’ as entry point maybe?

Hi Dan

The day will come when both are no longer worries, one you no longer have to attend and the other can attend his/herself. It just seems like that it will go on for ever.

You could rip off the Moor St facility further by having it at a higher (ie road) level. Either accessed by Moor St style lifts, or Kings Cross style main line gradients - off scene either way. It could (if you so wished) cover the back of the triangle, whilst the main lines to/from the station run in retaining wall cuttings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a very long youtube about the modernisation of Sheffield’s goods shed.

I can only find this link:

Sketch is fine! It conveys the idea well enough :)

Sounds like "Freight and a City" (British Transport Films, 1966).  Doesn't seem to be on YouTube though, but well worth a look if you can get hold of it.  I've got it on a BFI DVD (how quaint!).

Yup that’s the one!

A great video about how modernisation would change everything :)

It’s got some great goods yard shots

Sounds like "Freight and a City" (British Transport Films, 1966). Doesn't seem to be on YouTube though, but well worth a look if you can get hold of it. I've got it on a BFI DVD (how quaint!).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You could rip off the Moor St facility further by having it at a higher (ie road) level. Either accessed by Moor St style lifts, or Kings Cross style main line gradients - off scene either way. It could (if you so wished) cover the back of the triangle, whilst the main lines to/from the station run in retaining wall cuttings.

Hi Zom

Thanks. I will keep it simple for the effect I am after. There were many multilevel goods sheds, Halifax had a lift to take wagons upstairs. Leeds Central had hoist to lower wagons to ground level as did some of the GER and LTSR small yards in London.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like "Freight and a City" (British Transport Films, 1966).  Doesn't seem to be on YouTube though, but well worth a look if you can get hold of it.  I've got it on a BFI DVD (how quaint!).

It was is on YouTube but may have been one of the many coming up as video deleted when you search in compilation lists as I can't find it today.

Revised link =

Somewhere I'knew I'd seen it in colour and with sound.

To find is search for 

Sheffields railway in the 60`s

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Clive,

A very rough sketch.

Black- track

Brown - road/bridges

Light brown - ramp to yard level.

post-7025-0-52240700-1547476003_thumb.png

The main roads would meet at a junction, I'm guessing the backscene will be in front of the rear track, and could consist of tall buildings.

The yard tracks will also go under the right-side over bridge.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive

Broad street goods just up from Exchange was reached via lifts from Nunnery goods, built by the LNWR as there access to Sheffield goods, near the LNWR engine shed.

For scenery back drop how about a huge works/ factory,rail connected of course .

Derek 19b

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dan

Last night when I came up with the name "Halham spud and green stuff yard", I did think it would be more appropriate as a smallish inner city yard where it would be mainly goods in to feed the population. Smalls and sundries are dealt with in the goods shed the other side of the backscene. Most bigger stuff would start its journey from a private siding.

Although a tad newer than your timescale, 1966, Sheffield Parkway Wholesale Market had a rail connection when first built.

Mike.

Definately, although to be fair my daughter loves helping build the layout. Much to her mothers upset she loves the SVR and operated my minories layout very carefully! Current delay caused by the baby!

One day it will be built :)

Hi Dan

The day will come when both are no longer worries, one you no longer have to attend and the other can attend his/herself. It just seems like that it will go on for ever.

• RMweb Premium

It was is on YouTube but may have been one of the many coming up as video deleted when you search in compilation lists as I can't find it today.

Revised link =

Somewhere I'knew I'd seen it in colour and with sound.

To find is search for 

Sheffields railway in the 60`s

That's a different film actually, although on a similar theme and just as interesting to watch.