Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

3 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Seconded - was great to meet the pair of you in the flesh so to speak!  

Thanks and Likewise, Sunday became hard work on the Legs though, haha.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I look forward to honest feedback from seasoned ears, Clive!  We'll be rehearsing a batch of new stuff for the forthcoming EP while you're doing that, but here's a link to the current single from the debut:

My last Band, The Silvertones was mainly 60's / 70's Rock, plus we had the G-Tap Blues Band, and Statergy.

Not my sound but good to see such talent.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

My last Band, The Silvertones was mainly 60's / 70's Rock, plus we had the G-Tap Blues Band, and Statergy.

Not my sound but good to see such talent.

We'll get ya converted to P4* yet, Bodgit!

* 4-square Punk !!!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I look forward to honest feedback from seasoned ears, Clive!  We'll be rehearsing a batch of new stuff for the forthcoming EP while you're doing that, but here's a link to the current single from the debut:

On hearing it, it is like the surprise of a pair of 37s being thrashed when you were expecting a Ying ying

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Lads and Lasses

I have a decision to make, and Mrs M can't tell me how to make my mind up on this. I came home with another Lima 3 car class 117 DMU from Showcase, thank you Simon for the very generous price. I have enough "spare" Lima DMU bits to either make a class 116 or a class 115, neither are required from Exchange but could be interesting projects. Now a class 116 will look very similar to my class 125, and a class 115 would be similar to my class 127. Oh dear what to do?

I also came home with a LMS BSK, no plans to do anything with it, a LMS BS (L), and I have some spare bits to convert it to the more common BS so my converted ex LMS non-gangway train has a brake at each end, thanks to Jon for his equally generous prices. Phil was kind and gave me a Deltic kit (the Dapol reissue of the Kitmaster one), Robin thrust a Trix coach into my hand, so another DMBS (leading cab) for the Glasgow set  and Cloggydog handed me a MTK Thompson BZ. Thanks Phil, Robin and Alan.

DEMUs Showcase was very good this year, the venue was nice, with very helpful staff. The layouts were very good. A pretty good selection of trade. The Saturday night curry was enjoyable. Topped off with a post exhibition visit to our Andrew P's potting shed.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Lads and Lasses

I have a decision to make, and Mrs M can't tell me how to make my mind up on this. I came home with another Lima 3 car class 117 DMU from Showcase, thank you Simon for the very generous price. I have enough "spare" Lima DMU bits to either make a class 116 or a class 115, neither are required from Exchange but could be interesting projects. Now a class 116 will look very similar to my class 125, and a class 115 would be similar to my class 127. Oh dear what to do?

I also came home with a LMS BSK, no plans to do anything with it, a LMS BS (L), and I have some spare bits to convert it to the more common BS so my converted ex LMS non-gangway train has a brake at each end, thanks to Jon for his equally generous prices. Phil was kind and gave me a Deltic kit (the Dapol reissue of the Kitmaster one), Robin thrust a Trix coach into my hand, so another DMBS (leading cab) for the Glasgow set  and Cloggydog handed me a MTK Thompson BZ. Thanks Phil, Robin and Alan.

DEMUs Showcase was very good this year, the venue was nice, with very helpful staff. The layouts were very good. A pretty good selection of trade. The Saturday night curry was enjoyable. Topped off with a post exhibition visit to our Andrew P's potting shed.

If you don't have a need for any of the specific items suggested I suggest going for the one you will most enjoy working the conversion on.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, john new said:

If you don't have a need for any of the specific items suggested I suggest going for the one you will most enjoy working the conversion on.

Ah John

Now there is where the problem lies, I normally enjoy all the conversions I do. I do have a plan, next time I see a 3 car Lima DMU at a good price I will build the one I didn't build this time.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Not trains, but it is practice with the new (well second hand) phone thingy.

"Knock, knock"

"Who's there?"

"M. A. B. It's a big horse".

"M. A. B. It's a big horse who?

"M. A. B. It's a big horse I'm a Londoner that I love London Town".

I thank you.

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Not trains, but it is practice with the new (well second hand) phone thingy.

Excellent mate, She seems at one with the Orse, You need to borrow my Stetson mate if your gunna ride im:yes:, haha.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Lads and Lasses

Topped off with a post exhibition visit to our Andrew P's potting shed.

SOLUTION = Make one side a 115 and the other side a 116, SIMPLES.:good::yes::yahoo:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

SOLUTION = Make one side a 115 and the other side a 116, SIMPLES.:good::yes::yahoo:

Oh yea of little DMU knowledge, a class 115 has four carriages and a 116 has three coaches so that won't work. There are other little fings like the big headcode box on the 115 and not on the 116 before you get into little details like the coaches are all different. :no:

But thank you for your kind suggestion to help me make up my mind.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oh yea of little DMU knowledge, a class 115 has four carriages and a 116 has three coaches so that won't work. There are other little fings like the big headcode box on the 115 and not on the 116 before you get into little details like the coaches are all different. :no:

BUT aren't they both Green?:yes: surely that's enough.:good::man_in_love_mini::D

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

BUT aren't they both Green?:yes: surely that's enough.:good::man_in_love_mini::D

Yes but no but yes but no but not all class 116s were lined in yellow when new. The poor coach would be unequally balanced if lined on one side only  which could lead to it derailing. I think a rethink on this problem is needed.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As 115 were a Marylebone speciality

15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Lads and Lasses

Hi, Clive

There's mention on the Operations page of the class 115 section of Railcar.co.uk of a regular Sunday working for an Allerton unit in 1970 (admittedly a bit late) from Liverpool to Hull via Manchester and - Sheffield - !!! Dunno if this might help you in your choice

Regards

Steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No running for a while. I have been sort of busy doing nothing and some coaches. First coach was a purchase at Showcase, it was a LMS Lavatory Brake Third, well I needed a second Non-Gangway Brake Second for my Airfix/Dapol converted LMS suburban set. I had a few left over bits from other conversions so I took out the loo and added another compartment. The van end needed to be made shorter as well.

100_5801a.jpg.588cef5d570d92d59149865c2905e714.jpg

I have also been experimenting with the older style Hornby Gresley coaches, which for some reason they made to an incorrect length. I am making an ex LNER corridor set of coaches, I have some Kirk kits under construction. I needed another brake ended coach so looking at what I have to hand I have started to make a GER section short Brake Second Corridor coach. The compartments are the correct size for some strange reason, but things like the corridor windows, and toilet size are too short, so there is a lot of cutting and shutting. I have checked the Hugh Longworth pre nationalisation book and some did survive up to 1964, so just fits my modelling period.  

100_5802a.jpg.8687893acb0d4188c8f8078c4d67b531.jpg

Corridor side

100_5803a.jpg.175c19dbd26b0353cff3ccc32e569fb3.jpg

Compartment side.

OK the roof has a huge hole in it where I didn't cut it very well......thank goodness some kind person invented filler. It also seems to riding a bit high, I can always modify the chassis.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1