Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Just had a quick half hour making chuffing noises etc. All I hope I am getting the DMU gear changes in the right place. Brummmmm, brumm, brummmMMMMM.

The 19.37 to Manchester Victoria derailed leaving the station :locomotive: :dontknow: :no2: Must be the BTB :rtfm:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Are you waiting for me to do the scenics as pay back for helping me get Dettingen off the ground? If you are the first trip i can make over is June, what with the puddle between u and all that.

Richard

Hi Richard

No need to rush back from the colonies just yet, I may get on and do some scenics one day.

• Like 3

Morning Clive, I did a Depot Layout many Years ago, and as per my reputation it was ALL TRACK and no room for even a Building, BUT, and its a big BUT, I got many hours of enjoyment running very realistic Train movements and operations. I would much rather have that then a fully Scenic Layout with no scope for operation or enjoyment.

You Chuff and Brum Brum away my friend and enjoy.

Just had a quick half hour making chuffing noises etc. All I hope I am getting the DMU gear changes in the right place. Brummmmm, brumm, brummmMMMMM.

The 19.37 to Manchester Victoria derailed leaving the station :locomotive: :dontknow: :no2: Must be the BTB :rtfm:

My thoughts go out to any injured passengers on the 19.37. Hope none of their paint was chipped in the accident.

Oh, pedantic point, but should it still be 7.37pm on your timescale Clive?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts go out to any injured passengers on the 19.37. Hope none of their paint was chipped in the accident.

Oh, pedantic point, but should it still be 7.37pm on your timescale Clive?

That is a good question Peter.

When did BR start to use the 24 hour clock?

Train leaves a 17 hundred hours and arrives at 19 hundred hours.........better buy a big book, like War and Peace. Going to need something to occupy me for 200 hours. :O :o

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That is a good question Peter.

When did BR start to use the 24 hour clock?

1964-65

Thank you SE

That now causes a problem. I model post introduction of yellow panels but pre blue and full yellow ends, which straddles the change from normal time to 24 hour time. So the 19.37 could be the 7.37 pm. :rtfm: Or the 7.37 pm could be the 19.37 depending what year I decide I am modelling. :read: Cor blimey what a way to confuse myself :scratchhead: :dontknow:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive, my dear chap!

Have you considered using foamcore to make the carcass of your retaining wall? 'obbycraft sell A1-sized sheets (33" x 24") of 5mm thick foamcore for around a fiver a pop. http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/advancedsearchresults.aspx?query=foam-board  Oooh... they do it in black as well now. If you were closer, I'd drop off a sheet or two for you to have a play with.

Cuts with a Stanley, glues with PVA and is much stouter than card. Brick-papers stick to the stuff with PVA or spraymount. The 5mm thickness gives nice depth to arches.

Hi Peter

Not progressing at the speed other people’s layouts tend to. I keep getting side tracked with life and other projects but that is me all over the place. The retaining wall has now curled when it should be flat. I never have liked card, trouble is I have brought a load of it and packets of Grey Sandstone Walling (Ashlar Style) "Brick Paper". I see too many layouts with a plain retaining wall. Many are vertical which does not look right. I am trying to build mine with arches and have a slight tapper from top to bottom. For the whole scenic part to be in a cutting I need 20 feet of retaining wall and with the arches this works out at 40 feet of materials. See why plastic card would be a tad too expensive plus it would all have to be painted.

Thank you SE

That now causes a problem. I model post introduction of yellow panels but pre blue and full yellow ends, which straddles the change from normal time to 24 hour time. So the 19.37 could be the 7.37 pm. :rtfm: Or the 7.37 pm could be the 19.37 depending what year I decide I am modelling. :read: Cor blimey what a way to confuse myself :scratchhead:

Don't mix up 22.10 with 9.40pm, or you might miss the train.

• RMweb Premium

I have been having a play and thought to myself why not try a six car DMU. :dontknow: The traverser only takes 5 short DMU coaches but I have a short bit of fiddle yard before the trains emerge on the layout scenic bit. The platforms will take a 4 coach suburban set with a loco each end. So I decided to load a 5 car train of a 3 car Derby with 2 cars from a Met Cam 3 car on a traverser road. The third Met Cam was added to the ensemble when the track was lined up to the Up line. I drove it in, a long train looked good. :good:  It bashed the buffers and stopped. Looking at the rear coach it was within the limits of the signal gantry but looks like the passenger door nearest the cab would be in line with the platform ramp. :no2:

Would an overhang like this be allowed or do all the passenger doors have to be along the platform edge? :scratchhead:

A long train looked as good driving off as it did being driven on. :locomotive:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Clive, my dear chap!

Have you considered using foamcore to make the carcass of your retaining wall? 'obbycraft sell A1-sized sheets (33" x 24") of 5mm thick foamcore for around a fiver a pop. http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/advancedsearchresults.aspx?query=foam-board  Oooh... they do it in black as well now. If you were closer, I'd drop off a sheet or two for you to have a play with.

Cuts with a Stanley, glues with PVA and is much stouter than card. Brick-papers stick to the stuff with PVA or spraymount. The 5mm thickness gives nice depth to arches.

Hi Alan

I have already purchased some thin plywood to make the retaining wall with. Just gotta get on and do it. Too busy playing trains. :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cotswold line used to put 7 coach trains in to 2-3 coach platforms at places like Finstock Clive

Guard always checked to ensure passengers alighting at the said station(s) were in the correct coach

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Extend the Platform Clive, REME will be down shortly. :O

Yo Bodgemaster

I have been out in the manshed again and had another drive of a six car train. This time I checked the position of the last passenger door with the platform side held in place. It does line up with the ramp. I then considered your wonderful idea BUT (note the big but) where the tracks from platforms one and two converge the platform becomes very narrow and the ramp already is at a sharp point. I think when I sized everything I did so with a four coach suburban train and a Brush type 2 as that was the longest train I could fit on the traverser. :paint: The station  was sized using same train but with 2 Brushes. :rtfm: There is just enough clearance on the ends of platform one and two that when suburban train has a loco each end in one of those platforms a train can pass into or out of the other without them banging into each other. :O

I could always make platform 3 a tad longer and confine 6 coach dmus to it. :scratchhead:

Back to the manshed :superman:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

OK Platform 3 will be a tad longer to take 6 car DMU trains. Didn't 'alf look good with a train of three, 2 car units arriving and departing. :yes: :yes:

Pity not for platform one and two as trains have to wiggle more over the point work to get to both these platforms :cry: and seeing trains snake across the throat of a terminus station always looks good. :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Clive, some photos of all this action would be good,

Hi Alan

Not much chuff-chuffing and Brummm,brum, brummmmMMMMing today. I got my paints out and have been painting the track. All the rails and what Peco mould as fastenings have been painted, the running and platform lines have had Precision track rust applied and the loco siding Railmatch sleeper grime. I have painted the sleepers on the platform lines with Precision’s sleeper grime. When I paint track I do the rails and chairs first, then the sleepers, painting up to the fastenings/chairs. This gives a better appearance in my mind than painting the whole lot one colour.

Now the station area has been painted I can fit the platform edging.

• Like 4

PICS pics, we want pics Clive,

I tried to get some Railmatch Sleeper Grime and Frame Dirt today at the Wigan Show, but they were sold out of both. I should just have enough to do Pencarne Junction.

• RMweb Premium

I have just had a post painting test run. I can never paint work or ballast it without it all failing afterwards, no matter how carefulI I am. Took ages to get some points to work properly and the dodgy one has given up. That needed looking at any rate so better do that on Tuesday night. Monday being club night (if I don't fall a sleep after tea).

• RMweb Gold

Platforms five and six at Charing Cross were not long enough for twelve car sets unless the leading car was only half in the platform,

This is a train departing from P6 while the Hastings unit is in P5

http://www.kentrail.org.uk/London_Charing_Cross_1984.jpg

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Premium

Platforms five and six at Charing Cross were not long enough for twelve car sets unless the leading car was only half in the platform,

This is a train departing from P6 while the Hastings unit is in P5

http://www.kentrail.org.uk/London_Charing_Cross_1984.jpg

Andi

Now you tell me :agree:  Platform three will still be longer but look out platforms one and two here come the six car DMUs.....................sometimes.

Edit....Was that for EMUs as well as Hastings sets, cos if only Hastings units then half of the coach dangling off the platform was for the engine not passengers?

• RMweb Premium

Just for Alan and Mr Peters,

post-16423-0-93568400-1444173814_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-11509800-1444173839_thumb.jpg

These photos show the designed platform and signal limits, a 4 coach suburban with a Brush Type 2 each end.

post-16423-0-09192700-1444173930_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-33687900-1444173963_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-70013000-1444173987_thumb.jpg

A six car DMU formed of a Derby 2 car and two Cravens 2 car units arrives from Leeds in to Platform 3. 

post-16423-0-97919400-1444174085_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-67764100-1444174107_thumb.jpg

The stopper to Doncater departs.

• Like 3