Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Any white and/or brown and yellow anywhere? :devil:

Hi Andy

There will be a couple of white buses, must be careful with the dates of the layout because the wheel hubs match which party was in control of the city council.

Pity I cannot find a present day manufacturer of a high bridge KSW, slap a tin front on it and I would have a Sheffield Transport ECW bodied PD2. 

Hi Andy

There will be a couple of white buses, must be careful with the dates of the layout because the wheel hubs match which party was in control of the city council.

Pity I cannot find a present day manufacturer of a high bridge KSW, slap a tin front on it and I would have a Sheffield Transport ECW bodied PD2.

Interesting, I was thinking about Lion and or Kestrel.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, I was thinking about Lion and or Kestrel.

I have Lion for Brisbane Road, but not for Ranelagh Bridge, it had been withdrawn by the time the track layout was modified for diesels. Sadly my Kestrel was damaged by my son many years ago and I never repaired it as it was introduced after the time period I set for Hanging Hill. Haven't thought of buying a Heljan one.

I have two Falcons, one in lime green (Silver Fox model) and one in BR green scratchbuilt, both suitable for Brisbane Road. The green one is also suitable for Ranelagh Bridge, but a blue one would be more suitable? 

I thought you were on about the buses in Sheffield, cos the old Transport ones were white and the South Yorks were brown and a yellowy-cream. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The great movement of the layouts has started. Exchange has been shuffled down the manshed. Brisbane road is not up as yet but the area has been cleared for it. Ranelagh  Bridge is up. Things have not gone quite to plan as the filling cabinets have not moved. The junk, I mean modelling table is at the far end, not the best of light but I will get round that. Both Exchange and the Bridge straddle the edges of the modelling table. Good thing is that I have saved the shelving I thought would have to go. 

attachicon.gifmanshed.png

Not much has happened recently. All three layouts are up but not yet fully operational. Exchange still has a pile of junk on her.

I am finding that working weekends, gardening (I hate gardening) and lack of MoJo seem to have slowed down the progress. The ER loco department has gained another steam loco for services to Sheffield Exchange, a nice K1.

• RMweb Premium

Retail therapy always helps, I find.

Somebody has to buy the lovely Eastern Region locos as you don't seem to. :no2:

I keep telling you that West Shed is a perfect Eastern Region shed building, apart from the walls and the roof. :mosking:

Somebody has to buy the lovely Eastern Region locos as you don't seem to. :no2:

I keep telling you that West Shed is a perfect Eastern Region shed building, apart from the walls and the roof. :mosking:

I agree, apart from the simple fact that it should have SOUTHERN LOCOS to make it look right. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have done some work on Sheffield Exchange. I spent quite some time yesterday putting packing under the baseboard feet so that all the boards are now level. No more looking in horror as a lose coach heads through the fiddle yard gaining speed as it goes. 

The platform faces are now in position, I have started to make some mock ups of the station buildings . Partly to see how they look and partly to see if I could see to uncouple locomotives at the buffer end of the platforms. I can.

I found that out by having an operating session tonight. After clearing the junk of the layout I unpacked most the loco hauled coaching stock and all the steam locos. Not a diesel in sight........tell a lie I did test run my new SLW class 24 and the two class 47 I got off e-bay last week before starting the operating session proper. It was good, nineteen locos and twelve trains, kept me entertained for quite some time. The fiddle yard did look a bit odd with most the trains being maroon with a black thing on the front instead of the green units with their bright yellow panels.

• Like 6

I have done some work on Sheffield Exchange. I spent quite some time yesterday putting packing under the baseboard feet so that all the boards are now level. No more looking in horror as a lose coach heads through the fiddle yard gaining speed as it goes. 

The platform faces are now in position, I have started to make some mock ups of the station buildings . Partly to see how they look and partly to see if I could see to uncouple locomotives at the buffer end of the platforms. I can.

I found that out by having an operating session tonight. After clearing the junk of the layout I unpacked most the loco hauled coaching stock and all the steam locos. Not a diesel in sight........tell a lie I did test run my new SLW class 24 and the two class 47 I got off e-bay last week before starting the operating session proper. It was good, nineteen locos and twelve trains, kept me entertained for quite some time. The fiddle yard did look a bit odd with most the trains being maroon with a black thing on the front instead of the green units with their bright yellow panels.

Hi Clive, Glad to see you back with it, I thought you'd fallen off a Cliff or something, hahha.

No Green D's? well well well, what is the World coming to, I can send some BLUE NOISEY ones down if you like, hahah. WHOOPS I forgot, still in the Dark ages, and no DCC, never mind mate, at least yours all works first time out of the box.

Glad you enjoyed the Play Time, it makes such a difference to constant modelling, Building, Changing etc.

BTW Had you thought about Kadee's for Loco Hauled Stock?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy 

The plan is to fit Pete's couplings and some magnets. I have the magnets. Told Pete I would like some couplings, about 2 years ago at a show but haven't actually, like really ordered any yet.

Next session will be all hauled by diesels. Then an all DMU session and back to a mix.

While operating I get the ideas of how I am going to do the scenics. I then go to bed and wake totally forgetting what I had planned.....next step to take a pencil and paper and write down things.

• Like 3

Hi Andy 

The plan is to fit Pete's couplings and some magnets. I have the magnets. Told Pete I would like some couplings, about 2 years ago at a show but haven't actually, like really ordered any yet.

Next session will be all hauled by diesels. Then an all DMU session and back to a mix.

While operating I get the ideas of how I am going to do the scenics. I then go to bed and wake totally forgetting what I had planned.....next step to take a pencil and paper and write down things.

The good wife will like that :no: ..........2am On goes the Light, :O .........I've got an idea Dear.........SLAP AROUND THE BACK OF THE HEAD, ,,,,,,so have I she says.

Out goes the light...............and all is forgotten............including the idea............... :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Those boards look as if they've had a layout or two on them before the present one, Clive. Good to see progress, as I've said before I do like gritty urban termini, perhaps I'll build one, one day.

Hi Alan

They were built for Hanging Hill but when that needed more time for maintenance to be done on it than new construction of locos etc it was time for something new. So I have started two smaller diesel depots. :fool:

• RMweb Premium

No longer having the houses on an embankment?

Hi Richard

The station will be set in a cutting. The stock boxes were needed to put the stock in. :O The paper cutting walls will be used as templates when I cut out the plywood. Now that I have repositioned the layouts in the manshed I will  be making a lightweight board that can be cantilevered off the main station board with the station building on it so it is at the end not on the side. This is the building I am going to base it on. 

The station building board will be removable when operating Brisbane Road. I have a copy of the LMS drawing for the station buildings, just gotta bung it together.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pete's couplings.

I have some and they are somewhat light at the hook end when in use. Careful positioning of the staple is required so as not to counterbalance them too much.

Depending on the existing coupling, sometimes the 'hole' needs a minute ream to allow free movement - different versions of the Bachmann couplings seem to have a slightly different diameter to the fulcrum bar.

• 3 months later...

Any progress? I also need to go around and take a look at the DMU mod's, as I quite like DMUs, already have a Class 108 and 128 for Dunoon but would like some variation in particular a couple of Cravens Class 105 units, which will need to get repainted unless I can find a second hand Green one. Class 129 would also be interesting...

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Progress has halted. Our house is up for sale, anyone want to live in a nice Essex Village? We are looking at moving to the middle of nowhere in Wales and rumour has it I will have a bigger manshed so until we sell up and move all layout development has been halted. A bigger permanent Sheffield Exchange may be on the cards. 

A recent, well yesterday, discovery, I can fit a Black Five and four coaches on the fiddle yard. I was in the belief that a Black Five would be too long. I have always liked Standard Fives (agreen one), Caprotti Black Fives and Standard Fives..............looks like some steam modelling needs to be done. Might even get a B1 and not renumber it to a carriage heating unit, this time.

Any progress? I also need to go around and take a look at the DMU mod's, as I quite like DMUs, already have a Class 108 and 128 for Dunoon but would like some variation in particular a couple of Cravens Class 105 units, which will need to get repainted unless I can find a second hand Green one. Class 129 would also be interesting...

Peter

Hi Peter

Scottish DMU types, depends on where in Scotland and time period.

• Like 3

Progress has halted. Our house is up for sale, anyone want to live in a nice Essex Village? We are looking at moving to the middle of nowhere in Wales and rumour has it I will have a bigger manshed so until we sell up and move all layout development has been halted. A bigger permanent Sheffield Exchange may be on the cards. 

A recent, well yesterday, discovery, I can fit a Black Five and four coaches on the fiddle yard. I was in the belief that a Black Five would be too long. I have always liked Standard Fives (a

Hi Peter

green one), Caprotti Black Fives and Standard Fives..............looks like some steam modelling needs to be done. Might even get a B1 and not renumber it to a carriage heating unit, this time.

Hope it's ok to ask here.

1956-1960 and 1962-1966, the location is west of Glasgow.

Good luck with the move, and a bigger Sheffield Exchange would certainly be great! I can remember when I was first allowed to move out of the (now lego room) train room up into our shed, I get a space 3m longer and 5m wider, and I thought "Goody, more space!"... 5 months on, I have built 2.5 baseboards and got half a trackplan LOL :D 

B1 would look great, I need a bunch of them, and Black 5's to run from Edinburgh (65B was an ex-LMS shed so about 20? of them). All you'd need then is a rake of Gresley or Thompson suburban coaches in Maroon to go behind it! Have a B1 vs Black 5 race haha, each with a 4 coach train :D

I'm going to stop rambling on now!!

Peter

A recent, well yesterday, discovery, I can fit a Black Five and four coaches on the fiddle yard. I was in the belief that a Black Five would be too long. I have always liked Standard Fives (agreen one), Caprotti Black Fives and Standard Fives..............looks like some steam modelling needs to be done. Might even get a B1 and not renumber it to a carriage heating unit, this time.

Hi Peter

Two things Clive,

Firstly re moving to Wales, there is a little known By Law in Wales that says Eastern Region Locos must NOT set foot in the Country. (and that was the good news, now for the bad news).

Secondly if you move near to Bala, not only will you BENIFIT from a proper Railway near by, the Llangollen at Carog, but ALSO I can visit when I come down to Bala twice a year.