Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Thanks Richard

As I went to bed last night I was thinking the front needs to be lowered at the station end, so that is on the retry. The steps in the back wall, the one near the bridge is where the lifted siding ended and the other is a cutout for the signal box. I will see what I can do to either get rid of one or make them both seem more logical.

I hope you were looking at GP9s, RS3s and U25s not the modern stuff.

Definitely agree the front needs to be substantially lowered at the station end - you're losing most of the view

The deep cutting at the exit obscures the trains a little , but it also obscures the fiddle yard exit and has dramatic possibilities. But then to lose the view of the trains on the rest of the layout would I think be a step too far

• RMweb Premium

I managed to stay awake and pottered out to the manshed. I lowered the cutting at the station end, it does look better. I was going to make a paper station only to find out that my chosen building based Hoylake is going to be too BIG. I then thought how about Meols or Moreton station buildings? Both of these are very similar and of the same architectural design as Hoylake. Trouble with both of them is as smaller stations they do not have a parcels office, a must for a terminus station even a small city one.

Then I had a light bulb moment. Moreton station but longer with an added parcels office. I am also going to have to make it slightly slimmer to make it fit but I am sure the end result will look OK. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Definitely agree the front needs to be substantially lowered at the station end - you're losing most of the view

The deep cutting at the exit obscures the trains a little , but it also obscures the fiddle yard exit and has dramatic possibilities. But then to lose the view of the trains on the rest of the layout would I think be a step too far

Hi Ravenser

It is not only the view I lose but the access to uncouple locomotive hauled trains.

• RMweb Premium

I have been in the manshed doing things. A mock up station building has been made and placed on the layout. I noticed it would be too low for the footbridge that will be connecting the platforms to the booking hall, so I have raised the cutting a little.

post-16423-0-02149500-1446417493_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-19818100-1446417503_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-89155400-1446417544_thumb.jpg

Some general views of the layout. 

post-16423-0-32918900-1446417602_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-28802500-1446417629_thumb.jpg

Now the Met Cam unit has moved on a bit you can see I have replaced the trust girder bridge with a plate girder bridge. Does it look better? I think so.

post-16423-0-21844100-1446417737_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-44396400-1446417748_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-75993500-1446417788_thumb.jpg

I did consider lowering the cutting at the tunnel end but changed my mind, I like the idea that all you can see is the tops of the trains, it is a bit of a tease.  What is coming from the tunnel?

post-16423-0-88119000-1446417905_thumb.jpg

The last two are just of the Cravens and Met-Cam train arriving.

post-16423-0-87619200-1446417971_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-22977300-1446417983_thumb.jpg

Again I welcome any comments. They make me think again about what I am doing even if I don't act on your suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

yes bridge change works.

No dont lower cutting at bridge end.

Do make those tracks at the back opperational for a couple of wagon shuffle just for a hoot

Richard

Hi Richard

There will be only about 9 inches behind the goods sheds, then it is plonk on to the traverser, or the floor depending what position the traverser is in. :bye: I am not too sure Jim could make a multi-level traverser :dontknow:

I think I would make the land surface rise quite sharply up to the station building. Sheffield is hilly, and I can think of a precedent near you for a road outside a station to rise from track level up to a station building

There's also the possibility that there would be some steps up to the footbridge from the station building , or possibly steps outside the station front door, to sort out the levels. The LMS would not have had the option of a higher land surface.....

It would be tempting to put a Sheffield Roberts tramcar on that bridge. There are two tracks across it, after all. The period may be a slight issue though

• RMweb Premium

I think I would make the land surface rise quite sharply up to the station building. Sheffield is hilly, and I can think of a precedent near you for a road outside a station to rise from track level up to a station building

There's also the possibility that there would be some steps up to the footbridge from the station building , or possibly steps outside the station front door, to sort out the levels. The LMS would not have had the option of a higher land surface.....

It would be tempting to put a Sheffield Roberts tramcar on that bridge. There are two tracks across it, after all. The period may be a slight issue though

Hi

I am trying to get the feeling that the land dips in the middle and from back to front. I need to maintain some height opposite the deep cutting at the back. Too many layouts have a 9 inch high (scale 44 feet) and are at rail level a scale 75 feet away. I want the railway to look if it is cut into the hill. The rise from the loco siding to the station will be different to how the boxes have shaped it but that has given me a visual help to how my mind first thought about the layout.

The footbridge will be coming out of the back of the building so there is little room for it to have steps up (or down) as it needs to be clear of the trains below it, so it will be level. As for the front there will be a slight difference in height from the road and pavement but not much as I don't have room for too many steps.

The trams went in 1960, a little before my period. I have had a hard think about 1500 dc OLE mast but have concluded that there is not practical way of having transverse OLE across the layout. Either I have unsupported wires dangling at the baseboard edge or the mast will be in the wrong place in relation to the over bridge. A nice MR bridge plate on the end of the bridge will have to do. 

• Like 1

I definitely prefer the truss girder, but I've never actually been to Sheffield, so...

Not sure what the high level siding achieves, it looks a little "fill this gap with track", and unlikely at that angle from the high level main line; where is it served from? Does a single 4 wagon siding add any play value?

I very much like what you're creating though.

• RMweb Premium

I definitely prefer the truss girder, but I've never actually been to Sheffield, so...

Not sure what the high level siding achieves, it looks a little "fill this gap with track", and unlikely at that angle from the high level main line; where is it served from? Does a single 4 wagon siding add any play value?

I very much like what you're creating though.

Hi Zomboid,

If you read the opening post and look at the track plan drawings you will see that the passenger lines tunnel under the goods yard. The siding along side Swann and Wright Engineering factory will be there to help convey the scene. It will not be operational.

Yes, deep cuttings are very "Sheffield-like". At first I thought Clive had made it too deep, but it actually seems to work in this case.

I'd still be inclined to put 1500vDC overhead wiring on the high-level line though. It could be justified as a spur to Tinsley or some other sidings, if it's not the actual Woodhead line itself. Surely you could have a portal structure at the front edge of the baseboard so that the wires aren't left in mid-air?

PS You're looking well in your new avatar Clive.................... :scratchhead:

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 1

Hi

I am trying to get the feeling that the land dips in the middle and from back to front. I need to maintain some height opposite the deep cutting at the back. Too many layouts have a 9 inch high (scale 44 feet) and are at rail level a scale 75 feet away. I want the railway to look if it is cut into the hill. The rise from the loco siding to the station will be different to how the boxes have shaped it but that has given me a visual help to how my mind first thought about the layout.

The footbridge will be coming out of the back of the building so there is little room for it to have steps up (or down) as it needs to be clear of the trains below it, so it will be level. As for the front there will be a slight difference in height from the road and pavement but not much as I don't have room for too many steps.

The trams went in 1960, a little before my period. I have had a hard think about 1500 dc OLE mast but have concluded that there is not practical way of having transverse OLE across the layout. Either I have unsupported wires dangling at the baseboard edge or the mast will be in the wrong place in relation to the over bridge. A nice MR bridge plate on the end of the bridge will have to do. 

Seeing the mockup of the building in place  I wasn't sure if it had enough presence for a medium sized station - being quite low 

A possible way to address this - and the footbridge height problem - is to put it on a plinth . I've seen an LNER official photo of Ottrington newly rebuilt in 1933 - the whole station sits on a plinth /podium with steps up to this in the centre and a ramp at the right hand end.

That could be an approach here- with the slope rising at about 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 outside the station, the steps to the podium could be quite modest, the ramp very short - but the gain in height at the parcels office end could be quite significant, and the added "presence" noticeable. 

All of which gives you a much lower cutting towards the outer ends of the platforms 

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the mockup of the building in place  I wasn't sure if it had enough presence for a medium sized station - being quite low 

A possible way to address this - and the footbridge height problem - is to put it on a plinth . I've seen an LNER official photo of Ottrington newly rebuilt in 1933 - the whole station sits on a plinth /podium with steps up to this in the centre and a ramp at the right hand end.

That could be an approach here- with the slope rising at about 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 outside the station, the steps to the podium could be quite modest, the ramp very short - but the gain in height at the parcels office end could be quite significant, and the added "presence" noticeable. 

All of which gives you a much lower cutting towards the outer ends of the platforms 

Hi Ravenser

I am going to using LMS designed buildings as found at several of the Wirral lines stations (and other locations) on the platforms, so the station entrance building had to be of the same architectural style. At first I had designs on using a modified version of Hoylake station. I brought the drawings from Network Rail only to find that the footprint needed was bigger than the space provided on the layout. So that is why I chose a modified version of Meols or Moreton buildings. All that is housed in the building are the ticket office, a small bookstall and a kiosk plus my extension with the parcels office, which is the same size as at Hoylake. There is no need for a bigger building, it is after all only a minor suburban terminus.

As for the contour of the cutting on the viewing side it will rise from the loco siding leveling off near the station building, so the AEC bus doesn't keep running away. Then it will either continue rising or may even dip a bit. The boxes are only there to give me an idea of how my plan is going, they do not represent the final contours.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Anymore updates Clive, I missed the last ones when I was on Holiday?

Hi Andy

I am having one of my "Lets think about things" moments, also know a lack of Mojo.

Edit: Plus it is 'king cold in the manshed :mad:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

soft southerner.

Man up. Gentlemen in Newcastle are still frequenting the town centre in t shirts at this time of year.

Having never ventured to Tyneside I can only form an opinion on historical evidence. They are attired in T shirts at this time of year due to not being affluent enough to purchase overcoats. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlMjSESoz9A

Thermal Under ware, Thermal Socks, Thermal Woolley Hat, Thermal Scarfe, Thermal Gloves, Thick Carpet, Heater on FULL, what's wrong with you man, you walk the Dogs in the Cold, hahhahah

Mind you, try crawling under the baseboards to do some soldering with that lot on, hhaahha.

I've picked up the New Peco Track Plans Book (PM202) yesterday so I might see some NEW ideas ready for the Spring in there, (its called internal therapy).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thermal Under ware, Thermal Socks, Thermal Woolley Hat, Thermal Scarfe, Thermal Gloves, Thick Carpet, Heater on FULL, what's wrong with you man, you walk the Dogs in the Cold, hahhahah

Mind you, try crawling under the baseboards to do some soldering with that lot on, hhaahha.

I've picked up the New Peco Track Plans Book (PM202) yesterday so I might see some NEW ideas ready for the Spring in there, (its called internal therapy).

Andy

We have done the silly hat thing already............................remember that naughty Mr Dagworth posted the photo of me in a wig. :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Put your hat on Clive :)

A

The "Hat" in question is a wonderful bobble hat in BR green with a light green edge, the same colours as a late build Sulzer Bo-Bo which was knitted for me by Mrs Dagworth. It is lovely and warm, I have been wearing it while working over the past few days. Now if I had one of them there modern mobile phones I would take a "selfie" to show you all. But I think you would be jealous. 

My phone is so old the Science Museum has first dibs on it  when I do an "upgrade".

• Like 3