BEIJIAO - a large Chinese HO exhibition layout set in the 21st century

TEAMYAKIMA

After Keighley, I asked my team for feedback - good and bad - and one thing which came up was that the D38 transformer wagon looked 'plasticy'. 

TBH, this wagon has been with us since day #1, but due to its extreme length there had always been big problems on the tight radius curves 'off-scene'. After some track adjustments during lockdown, we trialed it at Keighley and it immediately became a fan-favourite, but because we hadn't used in the past, it it had missed out on some weathering.

I needed to put quite a bit of thought into the weathering. I'm guessing that it is delivering a brand new transformer and so that wouldn't be weathered and just some matt varnish would take away the plastic finish. As regards the two end sections - again I'm guessing that they don't get many outings and don't spend too much time around filthy coal mines and steelworks and so they wouldn't get too dirty.

Here is a 'before and after' comparison.

DSC_0041.JPG.e0205ad0826406f6d56147cd72bd1e41.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG.4d4efe107cbc44024a07003a219f6769.JPG

Hopefully, just enough to take away the 'just out of the box' look.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Here is a couple of rare shots of the tanker train snaking across all the lines via the cross-overs...

(If you "flick" between the two photos, you can see the movement.)

20230624_165549.jpg.df205b62f66bc5b3270c31087514cbf1.jpg

20230624_165553.jpg.932dea94b94324cc0a304d85b9cb38de.jpg

Kev.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, SHMD said:

I've finally found 5 minutes to post these of BeiJiao...

20230624_151804.jpg.0401b3393376a1a06004b22c5c0e15e7.jpg

Kev

Many thanks for these. I particularly like the last one - the look on my face says it all!

And in case anyone was thinking that I was exaggerating about exhibiting in a greenhouse, you have provided proof - thanks!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

34 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Here is a couple of rare shots of the tanker train snaking across all the lines via the cross-overs...

20230624_165553.jpg.932dea94b94324cc0a304d85b9cb38de.jpg.

Kev

Thanks for this photo - rare indeed! This was always going to be one of our 'WOW!' moments, but it was never used before Keighley except for a couple of special set-ups for videographers. Our priorities had always been to get the basics 100% reliable before we ventured into the more complicated moves.

One issue which had bothered me was whether the introduction of this more complicated move would have an adverse impact on other features. So, we needed a plan to co-ordinate things e.g. not to make a banking move on the industrial (another 'WOW!' feature) at the same time as the cross-over move at the front. My other main concern was not to shut down action on the main lines whilst the tanker train returned to its allotted fiddle yard track.

Thanks to Al's new signals I came up with a plan and to an extent you can see it being played out in this photo. A clockwise train which is heading for the marshalling yard off-scene to the left of the scenic section stops at the signal in full view of the watchers. Then the tanker train appears (from that marshalling yard) and snakes across the cross-overs. After the caboose has sufficiently cleared the second cross-over, the clockwise train is ready to move off.

Now, the plan was/is to use my sound and smoke unit fitted QJ (7141) for that clockwise train as it is at its most dramatic when starting off. The front-of-house man would flag up the photo/video opportunity to get the dramatic departure, but in this test session we were using the yellow and red DF7G instead - nearly there!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Yes, the tubing has been trimmed back, but there is no leakage between the transmitter and receiver. As I've said, to my knowledge there has never been any IRDOT issue on the Faller except on a couple of very unusual scenarios where 'outside' infra-red has confused the system and now that I have made 'covers' for both ends that should eliminate any possibility of recurrence. 

I know this is the first time the was Faller IRDOT issues, but I was wondering if the IRDOT's that caused so many issues on the bidirectional had also had the tubing cut back. That would explain a lot of the issues we had in the past.

Luke

16 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

What a ghastly exhibition event!!! On a dull day maybe, but in the heat and light it must have been truly dreadful! The Operating team has my sympathy!

Luke

It does make you wonder who on earth thought that was a good location for a model railway exhibition...!!

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I was wondering if the IRDOT's that caused so many issues on the bidirectional had also had the tubing cut back. That would explain a lot of the issues we had in the past. 

All I can say on that is "It's possible, but there is no way of knowing for certain now, either way." 

I think it's best to forget IRDOT's for the moment. I am confident that the  IRDOT's controlling the Faller have never caused any problems at a show and I have taken steps to re-enforce that confidence.

Q: Am I right to be that confident?

A: We'll find out at Taunton. 

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Friendly/supportive 2

35 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

All I can say on that is "It's possible, but there is no way of knowing for certain now, either way." 

If you still have the original IRDOT's it would be easy to check. I have an N-gauge shuttle demo which will quite happily work outside in full sunlight as long as the tube isn't pointing towards the sun. But I certainly wouldn't suggest refitting them at this point. If we have a system that works then let us continue to use this system, though it is useful to have an idea as to why the original IRDOT's didn't work as designed or expected which I had found it puzzling...

35 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I think it's best to forget IRDOT's for the moment. I

Yes! I certainly agree with this!

Luke

Moving on from IRDOT's ..............................

I do have a nasty habit of putting off a big job and when I finally get around to tackling it, making it an even bigger job and, so it was with the D38.

As I have said, I bought the D38 about ten years ago and never weathered it, but all that's changed now that we are going to make it an exhibition regular. Once I began giving the D38 my full attention, I noticed something which hadn't occurred to me before - the little blue cabins at each end have full interiors - in white!

IMG_20230721_175320.jpg.864a46875df7bbfaf3334d12d7b0dbc6.jpg

Well, an hour or two later ( YES, an hour or two ).........

IMG_20230722_171038.jpg.41edd03548ca6b1479689e4a161d18df.jpg

Now, I know what many of you are going to say - nobody at a show is going to notice that interior as it passes by - and I agree with that and that's why I added a worker looking out of the window in a high viz jacket in what they call (in the film industry) the final cut.

IMG_20230722_184755.jpg.7bad90e2e853fd75fb29005c33f2792d.jpg

And TBH the same thing still applies - 99.9% of exhibition viewers will miss that - and that's where the front-of-house man comes into play. Their job will be to interact with viewers and warn them to look out for this 'new feature'.

I rest my case, m'lud.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Now, I know what many of you are going to say - nobody at a show is going to notice that interior as it passes by - and I agree with that and that's why I added a worker looking out of the window in a high viz jacket in what they call (in the film industry) the final cut.

IMG_20230722_184755.jpg.7bad90e2e853fd75fb29005c33f2792d.jpg

And TBH the same thing still applies - 99.9% of exhibition viewers will miss that - and that's where the front-of-house man comes into play. Their job will be to interact with viewers and warn them to look out for this 'new feature'.

.... just so long as the casual viewer doesn't end up wondering why the windows in that thoughtfully provided 'Portaloo', aren't frosted glass!!   😲

• Funny 11

I've gone back to another unfinished project - the road roller on the trailer - it's a poor photo taken on my phone with the flash turned on.

Yes, before anyone comments that it needs ropes or chains - I know - but with my limited skills I think it shows that at least I've tried. Also, bare in mind that eventually it will be surrounded by several police motorcyclists and no doubt they will be asking a few pertinent questions.

And, before anyone asks, YES, the truck does have wing mirrors!

IMG_20230724_192358.jpg.f124c366e3ec27f5e6dd9ee9a90dace5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2023 at 15:34, steveNCB7754 said:

.... just so long as the casual viewer doesn't end up wondering why the windows in that thoughtfully provided 'Portaloo', aren't frosted glass!!   😲

Just don't look into the security cabin on Deadmans Lane..............................

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 22/07/2023 at 21:26, luke_stevens said:

What a ghastly exhibition event!!! On a dull day maybe, but in the heat and light it must have been truly dreadful! The Operating team has my sympathy!

On 22/07/2023 at 21:44, F-UnitMad said:

It does make you wonder who on earth thought that was a good location for a model railway exhibition...!!

On 22/07/2023 at 21:58, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not a railway modeller obviously!

Unfortunately, it was a railway modeller - apparently!

I'm told that it was just as hot in 2022 - but the view was that that was a fluke and was very unlikely to happen two years running - DOH!

Now there is good news and bad news.

The good news is that they won't be using the garden centre greenhouses next June.

The bad news is that they will be using the garden centre greenhouses next February!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

And, before anyone asks, YES, the truck does have wing mirrors!

And, just to prove it ..................

IMG_20230725_102635.jpg.9dce807f0856394a819d28dd212ed3e9.jpg

TBH I am a bit disappointed - I'm sure those mirrors were exactly vertical when I glued them in place - I hope it's a distortion in the photo - I've just checked and yes, it is simply a distortion in the photo.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

Well, that's about all from me for now - time to take a break. I'm always saying that I want to get on with other things and now is the right time to start.

All the outstanding issues have been dealt with and whilst I might still tinker once in a while, everything is pretty much in place for our next outing - TAUNTON in October.  It's time to start digitalising all those slides of Cuba, South Africa, Argentina etc.

Our next confirmed shows are TAUNTON (October), Warley (Nov) and Manchester (Dec) - I hope to see some of you at those shows - TTFN.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit that my idea of moving on to do different things has not got very far yet and it's been a case of working on the layout pretty much every day - but at a more gentle pace than before! So, here is an update............................

The road roller cameo has progressed (based on advice from an RMwebber)  ....

IMG_20230727_191254.jpg.d19110ed1b1950521bdfc14c57a2c90f.jpg

The office/storeroom by the level crossing now has some workmen taking a break

DSC_0045(2).JPG.69715d7886d082eceee6115295ec6053.JPG

One subtle issue I've been thinking about is the spread of detail/cameos. By that I mean making sure that the detail at the front of the layout is spread along all 20ft of scenic area, so that every viewer has something interesting 'under the nose'. For example, I have plenty of unique 3D printed figures on the layout and they were originally somewhat packed together in one large cameo in the middle of the layout and when I was front-of-house man at Keighley (standing at the extreme r/h of the layout) all the things I wanted to highlight were at least 10ft away from the person I was speaking to. So, I decided to move Jane and Alan who were just 'in the crowd' down by freight house....

DSC_0007(1).JPG.96125b3522c5c0f99e4bd2e38ec7e817.JPG

to a far more prominent position down by the level crossing area which was relatively barren and moving them down to the r/h end of the scenic section will give me something to point out to visitors without having to walk them down to the middle of the layout.

DSC_0048.JPG.fe8b5c9dd8b88cb6a39cd4715e5e700e.JPG

That's it for now, more later.

• Like 10

You mention you have done some light weathering, toning down of the various items connected with construction work, and that looks good, the very minor observation I have is that there doesn't seem to be much, if any, company branding on the items (like the roller, cabin etc.,) where I would expect to see the equivalent of say 'Wimpy' such as 'SCG' or 'CSCEC'.
I'm looking forward to seeing the layout again I'm when visiting Taunton show this October.

As I have mentioned before, there are a lot of 'issues' with a large exhibition layout, over and above the modelling - here is an example.

On a home layout, the stock is bought, taken out of the box, put on the track and that's (basically) the end of it. 🙂

Not on an exhibition layout!  Every item of stock has to be (safely) packed away and packed in some kind of logical order so that the operators know where to find items when the want to set the trains at a show - and return them to the boxes at the end of the show. Both the set-up and the take-down need to be as logical as possible, as easy as possible and, hence, as quick as possible. All this is heightened with layouts where guest operators are used - and so it is with BEIJIAO where to a greater or lesser extent most/all operators are guest operators. 

So, now that 99% of the modelling is finished, I have turned my attention to addressing this issue. One thing has changed recently - we have settled on specific locos on specific trains and specific locos as spares for those trains. I tried to make things easy by labelling everything, but discovered that my sticky labels were not quite sticky enough.

IMG_20230821_080712.jpg.33d284de8bbc384d5d97ff8e41275627.jpg

So, this morning, I got the UHU out ........................

IMG_20230821_083552.jpg.10aef2b86362069e539f496623c14179.jpg

There are four 'zones' which need setting out and I have colour coded them and, hence, the appropriate boxes. Anti-clockwise trains are coded as YELLOW and so the stock boxes for those routes are labelled as yellow and numbered in order.

IMG_20230821_085459.jpg.44954b01da1cc64302f68b31a5a2d05b.jpg

That's box #25 done - only another 24 to do!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1