How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

5 of the recent Hornby A4s.

I might have acquired a few more but the 16 Bachmann ones took the edge off my requirement.

I always intended to trade the old Bachmann (all split chassis - half of them in ltd.ed.wooden boxes) ones in against something newer but never got 'round to it.

Regarding the Apple Green A4s; I have often wondered if "Golden Eagle" was the only one to be photographed in colour. 

The old Colour-Rail catalogues only ever listed one slide of 4482 and this is the picture in the book "Big Four in Colour". This has left some to conclude that there was only ever one A4 in Apple Green when I believe it was nine and a half (Dominion of Canada when originally Woodcock in grey with green wheels for a week)

Perhaps the P2 model may awaken an interest in an  A4 in Apple Green. A Superb livery that in my opinion sits much more comfortably on the more classical lines of the A1/A3s.

RP

Silver Fox

Weird shade of Garter Blue far too pale.

A very big ooooops they have used the wrong Tender !! Silver Fox should have a Bow backed version to match the shape of the Silver Jubilee Coach Stock . The section above the beading should be all Black, it has been painted the same as A Streamlined Non Corridor version .

Front Top Lamp Iron too low as well.

Silver Fox

A very big ooooops they have used the wrong Tender !! Silver Fox should have a Bow backed version to match the shape of the Silver Jubilee Coach Stock . The section above the beading should be all Black, it has been painted the same as A Streamlined Non Corridor version .

Front Top Lamp Iron too low as well.[/

Silver Fox

Front Top Lamp Iron too low as well.

I noticed the tender was different to the grey Hornby version.

According to BR Database, Silver Fox had a non-corridor tender for 2 weeks in 1939. But otherwise it had the same corridor tender throughout its life.

R3095 has got the bow end corridor tender. But it would probably need the tender letters changing and the chrome strip removing from both loco and tender. Are there any other possible donors?

Edited by Mike70

Happy Independence Day Cooped. I have two Hornby A4's - Mallard and Golden Plover. I have no plans to add to this. I do have twenty two Merchant Navy Class.

Thanks BB! Having a lazy day today. My MN count is 1. An unrebuilt released could add to that number.

• RMweb Gold
Thanks BB! Having a lazy day today. My MN count is 1. An unrebuilt released could add to that number.[/quote

Add to the greetings for 4th July......fingers crossed for air smoothed MN....soon.Farish have one in preparation and for that,the engineering sample is miraculous.So,the natural progression is......

• RMweb Gold
None, but I have got 26 Bulleid Pacifics!

I will get one if they ever do 'Kingfisher' in 1960s condition so I can run it with my green coaches!

John[/quote

You are obviously a man of impeccable taste....not a case of 'too many spams',I'm sure.Toboldlygo of this forum has reached his goal of the magic 110.....I have lost count of mine but it isn' t far short of 25!

To return to the thread,I got someone to renumber a donor loco as 60024,complete with brass plates and ' bird ' plates on body sides.You might consider that as an option if you can source one.They are becoming difficult to source at a sensible price.

The maximum number of Bulleid Light Pacifics I've had at any one time is about 70 :P, however in the next week or so I will have modelled the WHOLE class ;) That being said I haven't currently got any A4's, although I have had them in past those being Andrew K McCosh, Golden Plover & Sir Ronald Matthews.

• RMweb Premium

2. Both of their first incarnation tender driven version. BR Mallard from 1979 and a Hornby LNER garter Blue Seagull from a few years later. Have an alternate body for Sir Nigel Gresley in LNER blue but without valances . I'd always wanted the Wrenn version when I was a wee boy, so this is partly a substitute. I know later versions are more detailed and have loco drives, but I'm quite happy with my old two!

Oops wrong thread...........Bachmann !!!

( I will get the hang of this posting yet )

With Locomotion having a good relationship with Hornby too, do you think you may be able to commission them to produce E22 'Mallard', No.7 Sir Nigel Gresley (both post war LNER / very early BR liveries) or an apple green A4? If you went the same way of ordering as with the last (current) batch of DP1, then there is a possibility of it happening (just don't let it clash with the Rapido APT-E ;) )

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah...but we got you hooked on the line,which is really good news for us Hornby A4 devotees.I think the general consensus of opinion is that worthy though the re-chassied Bachmann A4 is,because the body tooling is past its sell by date,it does not quite cut the mustard. In post 90 60880 makes a bid for Locomotion to commission some Hornby A4's.For me,a personal choice would be apple green.I just love my apple green but I wholeheartedly endorse his other choices too.

However,on a personal note,it seems that the siver-bodied Hornby A4's are like gold dust.I do not possess one.I would like one,so IF it has to be Bachmann,then,yes,I'd stretch a point .Would still prefer a Hornby one,though....go on then,how about a Hornby 2510/11or12 ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If anyone is interested in Union of South Africa in BR green I have some due in a few weeks time

Also thinking of silver link and silver king as a pair, also in BR green.

Let me have your opinions on those.

Cheers

Silver prewar ones MIGHT be better...they'd be eye-catching. Pre-war streamliner nostalgia....Shildon is after all the North East with its historic connections with the the streamliners such as The Silver Jubilee.Come on,you could be missing a trick here......you could EVEN,sorry if this is a flight of my particular fancy,commission a whole train !! Golden Age do one but that's out of most people's price range,There is a gap in the market for these coaches.It has the potential to be the most eye-catching train since Bachmann's Blue Pullman.

Is it just me but quicksilver, silver fox and silver link have been done but we don't see the silver king very often from Hornby. I can remember that the first 3 have been done in the last 30 years ( from what I can remember) all in silver. May be it is time for Hornby to do that one as a standard issue.

I have to agree there Doug.  A Silver Fox would be great. I would be able replicate the British Transport Films "The Elizabethan" as in the footage here.

I haven't been able to add link.  Computer was upgraded and has changed some settings, etc.  Just go to Youtube and type "The Elizabethan Express"  it will come up.

Mark

With Locomotion having a good relationship with Hornby too, do you think you may be able to commission them to produce E22 'Mallard', No.7 Sir Nigel Gresley (both post war LNER / very early BR liveries) or an apple green A4? If you went the same way of ordering as with the last (current) batch of DP1, then there is a possibility of it happening (just don't let it clash with the Rapido APT-E ;) )

Apple green A4 sounds good.... I'll have to have a word....but for the moment other nice things in the pipeline.

• Like 1

So... we are looking at Hornby A4s,.Silver King and Silver Fox, in silver or green?..and apple green... some shopping list.  Oh and coaches too?

Hmmmmm..let me think about this one for a while

Even if the minimum order from Hornby is 1000, I can't see Locomotion losing out with this one. The biggest problem will be sourcing the locos from Hornby.

Might be worth putting the preferred name and livery to a vote on the Locomotion website.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So... we are looking at Hornby A4s,.Silver King and Silver Fox, in silver or green?..and apple green... some shopping list. Oh and coaches too?

Hmmmmm..let me think about this one for a while

A no - brainer. Edited by Ian Hargrave

Am I right in assuming that neither Bachmann nor Hornby has done 60030 GOLDEN FLEECE?

If so, what an omission........

Les

(who does have 60030 GOLDEN FLEECE, but in N)

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

FWIW

Hornby R2101  - 60030 Golden Fleece was a "Super-Detail" tender drive model.

R2368 - 4495 was a live steam model in wartime N.E. black

RP