How Many Hornby A4's Have You Got

Mike70

I have 7, all LNER, all Hornby. 2 x silver, 4 x garter blue & 1 x black. I'd like two more, one in LNER apple green and one in post war garter blue without valances.

Come on Hornby, you know it makes sense to complete the livery line-up. 

I have currently 7 A4s:

3 of the older tender drives

3 Bachmann ones

1of the new Hornby ones

However a year ago I did have more:

10 of the older tender drives

3 Bachmann ones

1of the new Hornby ones

1 Wrenn

I think 7 is still too many for what is a side show on my layout.

One more almost there as of today:

post-1656-0-99431100-1405779683.jpg

Converted from a Railroad Mallard model but also using parts from the GBL Mallard and Scotsman models..

Have to say though, I am disappointed with the new chassis underneath the latest Railroad Mallard. The motor is a poor copy of the excellent 5 pole one on previous releases and is really very poor in comparison. The running is very "meh" and stop start, whereas older models run beautifully with similar loads on friends' layouts and on the same rolling road I use for running in. Actively considering switching the motor on the chassis for one of the cheap Hornby 5 poles off eBay.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One more almost there as of today:

DSCF1202_1.jpg

Converted from a Railroad Mallard model but also using parts from the GBL Mallard and Scotsman models..

Have to say though, I am disappointed with the new chassis underneath the latest Railroad Mallard. The motor is a poor copy of the excellent 5 pole one on previous releases and is really very poor in comparison. The running is very "meh" and stop start, whereas older models run beautifully with similar loads on friends' layouts and on the same rolling road I use for running in. Actively considering switching the motor on the chassis for one of the cheap Hornby 5 poles off eBay.

Where did you get the fantastic Dynamometer Coach? Is it the Golden Age model or a kit built example? It looks stunning.

Where did you get the fantastic Dynamometer Coach? Is it the Golden Age model or a kit built example? It looks stunning.

It is a Golden Age model - present from a friend. It is absolutely breathtaking. It is however in pre-war livery. I am loathe to change it to post-war livery and may end up buying the equivalent post war version to suit my layout. I'll never sell this one given its personal significance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Might I suggest to both Hornby and Locomotion, that they seriously consider producing A4s, with and without side valances, in various liveries, with and without corridor tenders - BUT with single chimneys.

We have untold models in BR Green and LNER liveries, most of which have double chimneys.   Up until 1957 there were only FOUR locos so fitted.

That would be more realistic for the majority of A4 fans, and I'm sure would improve sales figures.

gresley

Has Hornby ever done a LNER apple green A4, even with a tender drive? If so what and when?

Were the Bachmann A4s tender drive? I know they did Golden Eagle in LNER green. Were all the A4s built in Doncaster?

Yes, all A4s were built at Doncaster.

Might I suggest to both Hornby and Locomotion, that they seriously consider producing A4s, with and without side valances, in various liveries, with and without corridor tenders - BUT with single chimneys.

We have untold models in BR Green and LNER liveries, most of which have double chimneys.   Up until 1957 there were only FOUR locos so fitted.

That would be more realistic for the majority of A4 fans, and I'm sure would improve sales figures.

As far as the LNER models are concerned, all the latest series of super detailed models are correct.  Only Mallard, Sir Charles Newton and Bittern (as she is now) have the double chimney.  Hornby's problems have little to do with chimneys, rather it's finding production slots.with capable manufacturers.

Hornby have produced a A4 in LNER green back in 1990-91 with tender drive.  This was the first series from 1979 to 1997.   Model no is R313 4482 Golden Eagle.

The second series were produced from 1998 to 2002. Again Tender drive. No LNER Green models in this series.  The 3 and current series are loco drive, but no LNER green models yet.

Bachmann's A4 model is and always has been loco drive.  The same model as Hornby was produce 31-956 4482 Golden Eagle in 1997.  This has the split chassis. 

The Bachmann model has been upgraded with a new chassis which by all accounts is very good. 

We may be waiting a while for either Hornby or Bachmann to produce a LNER green model.

theses questions may have already been answered, so apologies for a repeat of information.

hope this helps

Mark

Evening All

I have six so far, four Haymarket locomotives and one from each of Kings Cross and Gateshead MPD's

60004 William Whitelaw,

60011 Empire of India,

60012 Commonwealth of Australia,

60017 Silver Fox,

60023 Golden Eagle,

60027 Merlin.

Photo enclosed of three of them in a line up.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-09281100-1407259285_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 3

I would love to have some more silver A4's. 2510, 2511, or 2512. 2509 is pretty hard to find now

With the current sell-off of Silver Jubilee sets at under £75, there's an ideal opportunity to round off your collection of silver A4s.  Fox Transfers do a Silver Streamliner set for just such a job.

Put the carriages up on eBay in a few months time, and you'll probably show a profit!

I thought that the silver jubilee packs had the older A4 in it, with the seperate cartazzi truck under the cab.

Discussed with pictures here.  If the price of the Silver Link that finished yesterday on eBay is anything to go by (topping out at £239.56 + £9.50) you could get three Silver Foxes + a set of transfers for that money.

Yes, everyone would like the super detailed versions.  But not enough to buy them when they were available, since they hung around for ages.

The new one is a railroad model with a new chassis based on previous spec models but omitting the lubricator drive and using an inferior three pole motor (it appears that way on mine anyway - it's definitely not the higher spec 5 pole motor).

On both this and the recent re-release of the 60022 model, I've found the chassis lacking in smoothness and reliability. Replacement motors will be fitted as soon as possible on my samples.

Outwardly, aside from being the railroad model, my silver fox is very nicely liveried. Very nice indeed. Bought at Invicta model rail on a whim and I don't regret it.

• Like 1