Late 1950s, early 1960s is my thing Andy. Mostly steam, SR/MR and a few WR types, but a few green diesels and these are mainly hydraulics. The 66 came about as a cheapie from ebay, so I needed something for it to haul. As for the 150/1, I just couldn't resist a model of one of the units I regularly work. I have a Realtrack 143 on the way, but that will be it. 

• Like 1

Having a short hiatus from scenic work at the moment.

The next job is to be the road bridge over the stream. This is behind the viaduct and will hardly be seen, but I want to get it right. I'll be using the Will's Victorian bridge with abutments made from plaster cast rocks and walling. I always knew this would be the most time consuming part of the build and it's also the most awkward.

In the meantime I play trains. In between I have bouts of having to work. One thing that has come to light is the lack of traction with some Bachmann loco's, in particular, my Std 5MTs. They are struggling with 6 on the easier grades and refuse the steeper on between the levels. OK, maybe I didn't have my best running coaches behind them, but my Hornby Black 5s handled these with ease and would even start on the steeper grade. Other loco's I've tried so far have all handled their expected loads.

Another job that needs to be tackled is a facia board. This will A/ Finish the edge nicely and B/ hide my poor woodwork(and wiring).

• Like 1

No updates as I have been seriously slowed by the plaster. The damn stuff is taking days to dry out in the cold damp weather. Even with a small radiator in the shed, the temperature can drop to a degree or so above freezing. Also the amount of insulation out there means there is little air circulation. I though about moving the radiator to under the area drying, but came to the conclusion that there was little point as the Kingspan, being insulation, would stop the heat rising and as it is waterproof, the moisture can only leave the plaster one way. In the meantime I am putting together the road bridge which will be behind the viaduct, with luck this will be finished and installed tomorrow on my rest day.

Of course I could just get the Kingspan down in the next area, but I would rather work one one area and get it finished before moving on with the next.

Things moving slowly at the mo'. This area behind the viaduct is proving awkward and could really use a bit more room, but if I had done this, it would have compromised the curves at the ends. The bridge itself is pretty much altogether, but fitting in a mill leat and making all look plausible is the problem. So I want to get it right. And of course, my shift pattern in the next couple of weeks doesn't allow that much time to be spent on the railway. Never mind, a bit of time to mull things over.

• 2 weeks later...

Still pondering over Miller's Vale, ie, the valley. In the meantime, rather than letting it get me bogged down, I am now getting on the the scenery that will go around to the scenic break at the other end. This may also help to form the valley. And, this morning, I have just finished ballasting, apart from 6" near the station that needs point rodding first. Long weekend coming up and decided to use this to finish the electrics. Really just powering up the point motors and and joining 5 fiddle yard sidings to the busbar.

• Like 1

Due to work, not much going on today, but I have touched up yesterday's ballasting, so all is now secure. And one little job I did this morning was to re-hang the gate to the brewery siding. After originally putting it in I did wonder why the hell I did it that way, so today I hinged it on the other side so it closes access from the main entrance. I can now pave between the track.

post-15-0-21508700-1426589624_thumb.jpg

At the moment it is left like this for the glue to dry.

• Like 3

Had hoped to spend a little time on the layout before work, however, some **** clipped the door mirror on the car overnight, took a chunk out of the actual mirror surround. £250 to replace it. If it had been just the back or indicator lens, it would have been about £30. Did manage to find the piece taken out and managed to graft it back in. Just needs a bit of filler and a lick of paint now.

Anyway, back to the layout. So, nothing done today, but I did make some kind of effort with the loco stud. My second Std 4MT 4-6-0 arrived today, a bargain £60 on ebay. Will try to get a decent decoder in Antics in Cardiff this afternoon. I now have at least two of the principal classes used during the period I am modelling, 1959-1966. I still need a 2P, but Hornby are re-releasing a loco drive one later this year and I shall just get one of these. A Johnson 0-4-4T would be nice and a Craftsman kit may at some stage find it's way onto the workbench. In the meantime it will be replaced with an M7, or an O2 from Kernow when it appears. Oh, and I ordered replacement bogies and pony trucks from Wizard/Comet and wheels from Alan Gibson for my Black 5s and 8F.

Right, time to get ready for work. Two Cardiffs and two Beaches tonight.

After getting the housework and other chores out of the way Friday and Saturday, I had three days to sort the wiring. Paaaah.  While I was wiring the connectors for the top level, my daughter offered to lend a hand. "Could cut 9 pieces of yellow and 9 green/yellow that long?" "OK"  "Could you also strip the ends so that I can put them in the terminal blocks?" "OK". Meantime, I get on with the top level. All connected up, I start to test it. Two points throw the wrong way. Not a problem, just swap wires in terminal bocks. One point will only throw one way. B*ll*cks. These Seeps on the top level are now inaccessible. OK, I have a Peco surface mount switch, so if necessary I could wire to throw at the same time. I don't fix the wires my daughter has done as I have run out of heatshrink. Frustrated, I call it a day. 

Next morning I rise early, dentist at 09:55, and go out to put in the wires my daughter cut and find they are all 2 inches short and I don't have enough wire of those colours to replace them all. So, back indoors to order a 25 way D sub from Maplins and some heatshrink to collect later. Back home later I make up an extension using one D sub from Tolmouth and the new one. All wired up, I test the points and find 4 only throw one way. Get the meter out, check all joints. All OK. Not a happy bunny now. Why is this happening? As a last resort, I check the panel itself and find the washer that goes around the stud is not making contact and they have all been covered with epoxy to stop movement. Another b*ll*cks moment and I give up for the day.

This morning I uncover enough of each the studs to hard wire them to the washer. Hey presto, they all work.

They all work, but the polarity is wrong on 3 of them. So back under the boards I go to sort that out. Why didn't I find that out sooner ? Because I forgot to wire in a section of rail. Never mind, all sorted now. Not much will be done tomorrow as it's Hi Ho back to work I go. Not a bad job, a Parkway and two Cardiffs, but I won't be home until 17:30 and by the time tea is cooked, there will be little time left. Maybe just time for a little play. I had hoped to get the Tortoises all powered this weekend, but nothing ever runs smoothly.

I have a dilemma.I have already got 3 7Fs, 2 Bachmann and a Golden Arrow, and now there is one at a very good price on ebay. Can you have too many ?

No work done, saving that for when I can get a 4-5 hour spell out there. Possibly off on Thursday, but definitely of next Saturday and Sunday, so will be looking at the main station panel wiring and continuing building the scenery. But my 4th 7F has arrived, been chipped and, as I have to do a bit of a run around this morning, will be programmed tomorrow. As this will be the first run of a 7F on the layout, I might get the others out for a photoshoot.

Watch this space.

My three Bachmann 7Fs. 53810 on a down goods, 53809 on an up parcels and 53808 sits in the yard and will soon shunt back to pick up a train from Emborough Colliery.

post-15-0-39848200-1427715817_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-14204300-1427715832_thumb.jpg

I do need to sort out some better lighting.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 3

Lighting.

At the moment I have fluorescent tubes over the fiddle yards and spots over the scenic parts. While this work fine over my last two attempts, I'm not so happy on this one. I'm now looking at putting three 5' LED tubes over this section and using the spots to highlight the ends of the layout. I'll probably just get a single one to start and see what the light is like. Anyone any experience of using these?

Up early this morning in anticipation of a week of earlies. Out in a few minutes to finally wire up the Tortoises and then get the fascia boards in at this end of the layout. Picked up a couple of the new Hornby xLMS non-corridor coaches yesterday from East Somerset Models, now just need something to haul them now.

Well, got to the shed this morning and could find no enthusiasm for wiring. After festering for a while I did get a few wires into terminal blocks, then fortunately ran out of those. I find wiring must be done when you're in the mood for it. I quite enjoyed doing this

post-15-0-10390300-1428252940_thumb.jpg

before work on Thursday.

So, anyway, decided to start putting in the fencing at the back of the platforms. As mentioned much earlier,a friend of mine drilled all these for me.

post-15-0-88487800-1428252652_thumb.jpg

Did this much and a little more before I broke what turned out to be my only 2mm drill. Once all installed, they will be brushed over in faded cream.And the grass will up to them.

So I had a little play. Had to get the laptop and Sprog II out to do my new 7F and as I've transferred JMRI onto the new laptop, I had to through the whole rigmarole of installing the driver. That done I ran the 7f with 18 x 16 tonners+guards van. It struggled a bit on the steepest section, but as the max load on the S&D was 17, I was happy enough but still put a banker on for a little practice at that.

Couple of pictures. Well one actually, but in B&W and colour.

post-15-0-71474200-1428252590_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-04419000-1428252573_thumb.jpg

Also did a little bit of video and if I can work out how to get it up on YouTube, I might post later.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 6

Managed a few minutes today. Painted the first section of fence, it still needs another coat, using a mix of white, cream and a drop of light grey. Then installed another foot or so the other side of the building. Quite pleased with the way it's turning out.

post-15-0-52721800-1428522555_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-90395000-1428522576_thumb.jpg

That damn photographer getting his car in shot again. Who does he think he is? Ivo Peters?

post-15-0-11862200-1428522593_thumb.jpg

And the next as yet unpainted section.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 3

You may have noticed in the above photo's that some of the post aren't upright. Well this is just like the real thing at Binegar, in fact mine are probably straighter.

Anyway, on a week of rest days, but a few other chores to do outside on the house. Of to Homebase to get a rather fetching lime green for the extension, the windows need washing, lawns need mowing and need to get a man in quote on the decking in front of the shed. Off on a pub crawl by train on Friday and a christening to go to on Sunday. With luck I might get an hour on the railway. Oh, and I've run out of 0.5mm wire for the fence, so that will require a trip to Frome of Bristol for more.

Edited by JZ

As expected, now on my 8th rest day and barely an hour spent on the railway, lawn to mow again today and a christening tomorrow. I'll be glad to get back to work so I can get more time modelling. :sungum:

That's an end to nine days off, back with a vengeance tomorrow, 05:41 start, with an 04:49 on Tuesday. Mower packed up, so need to get another. Too many jobs to do around the house and garden, so Gurney Slade is being put on hold for the time being. Going to stand back and keep away from it until I feel I have got some more pressing jobs done. First will be to treat the garden/bike shed and then get some decking built in front of the railway shed. Only been waiting six years to get around to it. So no more updates until into May.

That's an end to nine days off, back with a vengeance tomorrow, 05:41 start, with an 04:49 on Tuesday. Mower packed up, so need to get another. Too many jobs to do around the house and garden, so Gurney Slade is being put on hold for the time being. Going to stand back and keep away from it until I feel I have got some more pressing jobs done. First will be to treat the garden/bike shed and then get some decking built in front of the railway shed. Only been waiting six years to get around to it. So no more updates until into May.

Hi

Been enjoying following your progress.....So,roll on May I say......

I can certainly sympathise with the jobs v modelling issue.....

Cheers Bill

Hi

Been enjoying following your progress.....So,roll on May I say......

I can certainly sympathise with the jobs v modelling issue.....

Cheers Bill

Also gives me a bit of time to ponder the landscape behind the viaduct.