Finished the signals as posable for the moment, can make them work later. Also made a start on fitting Comet sides to some Bulleid coaches. I been able to file down 3 to fit, but the composite is a bit more problematical as the doors are at the extreme ends. I will probably stretch the Bachmann body, or at least the roof. Tomorrow, if the weather improves, I'm off to the pub.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still building rolling stock, hopefully it will be warmer soon for more time out in the shed.

Anyhow. I have some BR Mk1 suburbans, a couple of Hornby's newish exLMS non-corridors, but wanted something a bit more ancient for local services. So I'm putting together a couple of Ratio Midland non-corridors. I don't know if they kept gas lighting until their demise in the 1950s, but I have omitted the gas fittings and fitted a battery box on the underframe, dynamoes will follow as soon as I get some. Always one for the easy route, I've used number that are not far away originals as they were available and I can't be arsed to do individual numbers. So, rivet counters look away now.

post-15-0-44072900-1456740989_thumb.jpg

Edited by JZ
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great looking Layout Jules. I found your thread on the Ratio curved viaduct question and came to look to see if there was a side view! The class 4 mogul looks great on it.   

You've certainly captured the essence of the Somerset & Dorset.

Regards Shaun.

• 5 weeks later...

New arrivals at Gurney Slade today.

post-15-0-49398000-1460492319_thumb.jpg

Always fancied the O2s and these are for a small exhibitable layout that will bear more than a passing resemblance to Ventnor. I've had three baseboards, 18"x48"  hanging around for a couple of years now and two will form the scenic side and one a fiddleyard/traverser. I wont be starting it until the new Peco bullhead track is available and will probably use SMP point kits. For location, I was thinking of turning the Ventnor Town/West branch west instead of east at St Lawrence and terminating at Niton Undercliff.

• Like 4

FYI, the coach in the above photo is a Ratio Midland suburban which has been fitted with Bachmann SR bogies, battery box and dynamo. After trawling through many photos of IoW coaches, these do bear a resemblance to the ones used. Further updates will appear on it's own topic.

• 4 weeks later...

Hornby Magazine landed on the doormat today. Readers Projects, page 112. Not the best photo's I sent them, but chuffed to see them printed.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of running sessions recently has highlighted the restriction of only a single track incline between the levels. It is impossible to let just watch trains go by. OK, you can let one run while you do a bit of shunting, but summer Saturdays is a no no. So at the cost of one siding in the lower (Bath) fiddle yard, I've decided to double this section. Not a problem in at the top, but it means putting a point in under the bridge at the bottom and some re-aligning of tracks. Good job that I have yet to finish the scenics at this point.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to fitting the second incline. Not back into work until Tuesday, say may get some pictures up tomorrow. I will certainly be have a play, it will be nice to have some time away from the PC, much time recently has been spent searching for places to visit on my September US tour. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know, but not too much railway stuff, as I will be with three with little interest in them. So far planned is Manitou & Pikes Peak Rly, weather permitting, Durango and Silverton museum and possibly Black Hills Central RR. Other places will be Mesa Verde, Four Corners, Monument Valley, Meteor Crater, Grand Canyon, Death valley, Yellowstone, Devil's Tower, Little Bighorn Battle site, Mount Rushmore, Badlands and Carhenge. Plus if we make good time, a trip to poke a toe in the Pacific Ocean and maybe put a foot into Canada. About 3,250 miles driving over 17 days.

• 1 month later...

Not done a lot on the layout since the last post. But I have had some new stock, in the form of Hornby's ex LSWR coaches. Very nice pieces of work and suitable for running in the earlier end of the layouts period. They may also see action on the IoW project. My Ivatt 2MT tank should be at ESM today or tomorrow, just need to get my hands on a Next 18 decoder for it. This leaves just one loco class needed, a Johnson 0-4-4T. No replies received from Craftsman models leaves me regularly checking eBay. I have had plenty of running sessions and photo's may follow as and when I use an S&D loco only roster.

Well, I promised some of pure S&D stock.

post-15-0-40641300-1471101798_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-86986500-1471101804_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-71704100-1471101815_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-17686500-1471101822_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-30547300-1471101830_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-56565400-1471101839_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-47649000-1471101850_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-84469400-1471101862_thumb.jpg

The eagle eyed may notice that the 'Clan' is 72012 Canute.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...

Is it really 2½ months since I last posted? Well I seem to have lost a little of my modelling mojo. I can't make my mind up on what type of bridge to put over the section I have doubled. I keep toying with different idea, but none seem quite right, though I'm swinging towards a girder bridge with brick parapets. In the meantime, while my mojo is low, I have had quite a few running sessions. Even here, a 17 day tour of the mid-western USA and coming back to a perfect storm of ailments that laid me low for another two and a half weeks, has dampened my enthusiasm a bit. But, hey ho, I'm back on my feet and now been back at work for a week, the radiator has been switched on in the shed, Tuesday is a rest-day, so watch this space.

• 4 weeks later...

Well last night I successfully bid on the last loco I need for Gurney Slade, a Johnson 1P 0-4-4T. I've been looking for one for the last couple of years. Craftsman Models do/did the only one available and after fruitless emails to them and searches on eBay, the only one that came up was when I was away on holiday, I found one, built and painted to what looks a high standard. It will need renumbering, another minefield, and DCCing, and maybe needing extra pick-ups on the trailing bogie, but at least I have one. Pictures when it arrives.

• Like 1

On the above subject, does anyone know the wheelbase of the trailing bogie? I was wondering if I could use a M7 bogie, as it is available, with pick-ups, as a spare. I know the wheels will probably need changing.

Edited by JZ

• RMweb Gold

I think many of us acquire locos just because we like them, especially in this era of such quality in RT offerings, and we need somewhere to run them! I particularly like 73014 among your pictures. This LMR loco was overhauled at Eastleigh in 1964, emerging in mid-March in the green livery, somewhat to the surprise of the owning Region!

• Like 1

Here is my latest Bachmann 7F.

post-15-0-87680800-1480085581_thumb.jpg

That's 4 I have now, plus a Golden Arrow resin model which is to be back dated into LMS livery for hauling me Somerset Coalfield PO wagons.

• Like 3

I think many of us acquire locos just because we like them, especially in this era of such quality in RT offerings, and we need somewhere to run them! 

I have 121 '00' loco's now. The vast majority because I like them. I was brought up in Bradford-on-Avon, hence my love of the Western Region. My Mother's Aunt lived near Westbury Station, her bungalow almost backed on to the avoider, that's where my love of Western's and Warships comes from. Lion and Falcon were seen in my boyhood and they made an impression on me. My Father was from Southern territory and often took me to Templecombe on summer Saturdays and I spent several summers with my Aunt and Uncle, who lived near Woking Station. My Grandfather retired to Ropley, from his bungalow you could see the railway. I now live just 200m from the route of the S&D in Radstock. To be quite honest, there's not much hope for me :banghead: .

And just 33 of these loco's could be legitimately used on the layout.

Edited by JZ