Here she is.

post-15-0-20503700-1480178316_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-57991900-1480178332_thumb.jpg

Nicely put together and well painted. Will need renumbering, careful study of my S&D books to get the fitting right. It could do with a little more weight over the driving wheels, but there is still some space in the boiler/smokebox and room for some between the frames. Unfortunately the bogie wheel base stops me from getting a RTR spare, so pick-ups will be grafted onto the existing one. Plenty of room to add a flywheel, albeit a 12mm one. Would it be worth putting two on? The shaft is long enough. So that's it. The last loco class I needed for the S&D in the period I model. Mind you, I do quite fancy those Brighton Atlantics. Didn't they go to Bournemouth in their latter days. Maybe one was borrowed.

• Like 2

Now renumbered and I've also moved the BR lion. It looks a little high at the front, but when comparing it to other stock, it's only 1mm higher. Still to DCC it and to add a crew to disguise the empty cab. It will also need some of coupling mount on the rear bogie, I use Kadees, so whether this will be a #5 or an NEM mount, I'm still undecided.

post-15-0-70580700-1480274860.jpg

post-15-0-34276000-1480274875_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Painted a few figures this morning.

post-15-0-87170900-1481025989_thumb.jpg

A few for the coal yard.

post-15-0-63123200-1481025978_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-75746000-1481025999_thumb.jpg

A few around the station.

post-15-0-67438300-1481026015_thumb.jpg

And the village gossip. "Oi'm telling yuh, Edith, I duh see 'im wiv 'ur wiv me own eyes."

Edited by JZ
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifYackety yak.jpg

And the village gossip. " I'm tellin' you Edith, I sees 'im wiv 'er wiv me own eyes."

Shouldn't that be " Oi'm telling yuh, Edith, I duh see 'im wiv 'ur wiv me own eyes."  - offered as a former inhabitant of Mendip.

Nice little scenes!

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

I haven't had time to read through all of this so I've been picture skipping.....looks amazing. It's nice to see someone else that's as stupid (read that as a compliment) as me to take a load of bullhead rail and drill it full of holes to make fence posts......Genius! I'm also really impressed that you've managed to make the useless Peco stone bridge look good too......I threw mine in the bin!

Even though I'm not really in to steam. you've done a great job and I can't wait to have a proper read through it later on today.

Mike

I haven't had time to read through all of this so I've been picture skipping.....looks amazing. It's nice to see someone else that's as stupid (read that as a compliment) as me to take a load of bullhead rail and drill it full of holes to make fence posts......Genius! I'm also really impressed that you've managed to make the useless Peco stone bridge look good too......I threw mine in the bin!

Even though I'm not really in to steam. you've done a great job and I can't wait to have a proper read through it later on today.

Mike

Cheated with the fence posts. I only cut them to length, a friend of mine with a CNC drill did the holes.

My bridge ended up in the bin in the end. In the photo's it disguised a single line junction. I've double the line here now and am pondering what style of bridge to put in.

• RMweb Gold

Cheated with the fence posts. I only cut them to length, a friend of mine with a CNC drill did the holes.

My bridge ended up in the bin in the end. In the photo's it disguised a single line junction. I've double the line here now and am pondering what style of bridge to put in.

Cheers Jules

I ended up scratch building one which isn't quite right but it'll do until I can build another one.

Mike

Finally got around to doing some long overdue work at Gurney Slade. Platform lighting, hot dogs and railings.

post-15-0-25584100-1481490915_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-88469200-1481490926_thumb.jpg

The railing might look a little awry, but then the real ones at Binegar were the same.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 8

Put in a couple of water cranes today.

post-15-0-56230400-1482090881_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-74170700-1482090889_thumb.jpg

53806 pauses for water with cattle from Blandford market.

post-15-0-32137900-1482090902_thumb.jpg

Must get that allotment planted.

post-15-0-45163700-1482090909_thumb.jpg

The water cranes are Mike's Models S&DJR floor mounted type, from Holt Model Railways.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Inevitable really. I buy my Craftsman 1P, then this

31-742  Midland Railway 1532 Class (1P) 0-4-4 No. 58072 in BR Lined Black livery with Early Emblem

Not the first time this has happened either. Golden Arrow 7F finished the day before Bachmann announced theirs. Yes, 1 day. Bought an Alan Gibson 4F shortly before they announced theirs.

So, back to the 1P.

I was going to put extra pick-ups on the trailing bogie, but after consulting RMweb, have now decided to fit a decoder with 'stay alive' and see how this goes.

And yes, I will probably get a Bachmann 1P as well.

Looking at Bachmann's announcements, I think I will add a couple or 3 maroon porthole coaches to my 'Pines' fleet. And I would like a couple of Prestwins. Other than those, there is nothing for me. Maybe I'll spend the money I save on an extra holiday. Perhaps Iceland? Sweden? Or possibly Finland. Already booked to go to the Faroes for a couple of weeks in July.

• Like 1

So a day off gave me a chance to get on with The Railway Inn.

post-15-0-06746500-1484078697_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-92164500-1484078707_thumb.jpg

The sash windows were cut out for me by Al Green/acg_mr, for which I thank him. This was my first attempts at assembling them, each time getting a little better. A couple will be replaced on my next day off.

Edit. The bar windows are transfers. I found a suitable window on Google, changed the name using paint, though you can hardly make it out, printed it on clear transfer paper and then put plain white paper behind it.

I also think that a roof of that area would require another downpipe.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This beauty landed on my doorstep yesterday. Quite fancied one of these for a while, but couldn't really justify one, but when I found this on eBay while looking for a replacement lens for my door mirror indicator, I dropped in a £40 bid(£29.99 start). No one else bid and I paid just 29.99+£5 p+p. Seller was gracious in his defeat, admitting he hadn't realised he'd wrongly listed it due to selling some car parts, but he never had the piece I wanted. He did have a few railway bits and bobs correctly listed with detailed descriptions, so I believe in was a genuine error.

post-15-0-52313100-1486311974_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-64117900-1486311982_thumb.jpg

So, the LMS twins did pass through Templecombe, though not in this livery, so they weren't far away from the S&D. Did they ever visit Bristol I wonder. As this livery was short lived, it may get a repaint to it's final one.

This is the Dapol/Hatton's model.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Trying to work out where my motivation has gone. Although there are still many jobs to do, I have done very little work on the layout since March last year. I've come to the conclusion that work is to blame. It was last March that I moved into the permanent earlies link. Before that, I did a lot of my work in the mornings before getting ready for work for late turns. Now, I usually get home mid afternoon after getting up at 3:30 or 4:00 and usually feeling a little tired. Rest days mean catching up on housework, rather than modelling. At least now I have identified the issue, maybe I can take steps to rectify it.

• RMweb Gold

Shift work can be dreadful. Some people take to it - thrive on it, even. Others struggle. Brothers I knew at Slade Green were on early turn as often as possible - happily doing 03.00 starts - because they could do painting and decorating work after finishing! I didn't enjoy shifts, why should you?

Shift work can be dreadful. Some people take to it - thrive on it, even. Others struggle. Brothers I knew at Slade Green were on early turn as often as possible - happily doing 03.00 starts - because they could do painting and decorating work after finishing! I didn't enjoy shifts, why should you?

Before being made redundant and retiring in 2011, I was on 4 days, 4 off, 4 nights, 4 off, 4 days etc. all 12 hour shifts and coming off working nights, then trying to sleep at night was a night mare, just got used to it and your sleeping at days again.

Glad I'm Retired, SORRY Jules is that still a dirty word?

Glad I'm Retired, SORRY Jules is that still a dirty word?

Still have the best part of 6 years to go before my retirement is due. I like to think that I may continue part time in some form, maybe 2 or 3 days a week as ticket examiner. Some of my colleagues have done that and seem happy doing it. 

Today I'm off to Reading with two 'victims' for training on Class 165/166 for when they come down to Bristol. While it gets me an early-ish finish, French week starts in Lidl, so I must get down there to stock up with French food for my Le Mans TV marathon the following weekend. Oh, there something else that was briefly mentioned in the Media. Something about putting a cross in a box was it?

• Like 3

I've only just come across this most excellent thread (Goodness known how I miss them sometimes) but cracking work with some nice weathered locos. That ex LMS diesel was a real steal I wish I could find one at that price. Did you ever manage to get enough weight in the 0-4-4? I've got a scratch built Caledonian 0-4-4 and even though its packed to the gills with lead it still struggles.

Keep up the good work.

Steve

Did you ever manage to get enough weight in the 0-4-4? I've got a scratch built Caledonian 0-4-4 and even though its packed to the gills with lead it still struggles.

Steve

Yes. I pulled out the Plasticine that was packed into the smokebox and replaced it with liquid lead, then 'potted' it with epoxy. DCC Concepts decoder with stay alive fitted and it runs a treat. See? I have been doing odd things, building wagons, built the new bridge that need bedding in, had a few running sessions. Just not really done anything on the layout.

As for the diesel, lucky I suppose, but always on the lookout for a bargain, mis-listed item.

• 3 weeks later...

While not doing work on the actual layout, I have been putting together some loads so that I don't have empty wagons running around. Picture are pretty self-explanatory, so any questions please ask.

post-15-0-21687400-1498485941_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-01593400-1498485951_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-08752700-1498485959_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-88895700-1498485965_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-91543300-1498485971_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-49375200-1498485979_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-90762800-1498485987_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-38533700-1498485998_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-61833200-1498486006_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-81335200-1498486015_thumb.jpg 

• Like 3