Bachmann announce Class 90 (OO)

Andy Y

According to the Class 90 Electric Loco Group, 90005 was named Financial Times on 30th. March, 1988, and re-named Vice-Admiral Lord Nelson on 29th. September, 2005. Livery from new until until Virgin Trains took over the operations of the West Coast in April, 1997, was Inter-City Swallow. (Why not pink?) The wonderful BRDatabase tells us that she went into service on 30th. April, 1988, so yes, named from new.

http://www.class90electriclocogroup.co.uk/index.html

http://brdatabase.info/index.php

• RMweb Gold

I think this is something that manufacturers would benefit from thinking a bit more about. Carefully chosen numbers could give us much more choice for relatively easy renumbering. I'd hazard a guess that there's a not insignificant number of us looking to buy several of a class for renumbering and that making it easier for us would encourage us to do just that?

I've just bought Bachmann's new 37401 Mary Queen of Scots, the longest single line nameplate in the class. If it had been Isle of Mull, for example, it would have been that much easier to rename and I might have bought two or even more. Instead, I'm just going to get one for now. 

I tend to thing that manufacturers do this on purpose. Ive had this conversation a number of times with various people in the trade.

Manufacturers always seem to do obscure locos thinking i guess of the collectability - for example the Bachmann Large Logo 47535 was flat ended at both nose ends - the only one of the class like this and thus stopped renumbering, but, it sold out.

Similarly, most loco releases have names again due to the collectability - but, yes, always long names where you cant just put a nameplate over the top.

Now is there a conspiracy against modellers here - probably not, but it does make you think.

I've been saying till I'm blue in the face - release generic locos un-numbered ... that way the buyer has the choice and will probably buy more than one and then, when they've sold out the first release, its quick and easy to do another run of them .......

Leave obscure liveries and namers to exclusive / limited / collectors club editions.

Simples .....

Ben

I tend to thing that manufacturers do this on purpose. Ive had this conversation a number of times with various people in the trade.

Manufacturers always seem to do obscure locos thinking i guess of the collectability - for example the Bachmann Large Logo 47535 was flat ended at both nose ends - the only one of the class like this and thus stopped renumbering, but, it sold out.

Similarly, most loco releases have names again due to the collectability - but, yes, always long names where you cant just put a nameplate over the top.

Now is there a conspiracy against modellers here - probably not, but it does make you think.

I've been saying till I'm blue in the face - release generic locos un-numbered ... that way the buyer has the choice and will probably buy more than one and then, when they've sold out the first release, its quick and easy to do another run of them .......

Leave obscure liveries and namers to exclusive / limited / collectors club editions.

Simples .....

Ben

I thought 47614 was a possible renumber from 47535 with similarly flush fronts at both ends, but agreed, very limited options for straightforward renumbering

I'm inclined to agree with you, another example being Bachmann's unique red stripe Railfreight 47. I might well have bought a red stripe Rf 47, but I would want a typical example, not a unique one. It certainly couldn't be renumbered without a respray, which would defeat the object of buying that particular one in the first place. They seemed to end up in Hattons bargain section pretty quickly and stayed there for ages too.

They read this? ....

90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery;

(Cornish) Retailer Commission??????

When we get that far............

Edited by jonathan452

They read this? ....

90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery; 90024 Malcolm Livery;

Have you put much careful thought into your wish list? :)

• RMweb Premium

They read this? ....

Who's Malcolm Livery?

• RMweb Premium

I always assumed Bachmann chose 47535 because of their local association with the name University of Leicester, Barwell being in Leicestershire.

What to me proves the point about choosing locos that are easy to renumber is that the recent Large Logo release 47436 sold though sufficiently quickly to not appear in the latest catalogue despite only being released last year. And what has Bachmann replaced it with... another namer 47444 University of Nottingham so even the name is sort of repetitive. It will be interesting to see if that sells out quickly or hangs around like 47535, which sold out but not before being discounted in some quarters.

• RMweb Gold

I always assumed Bachmann chose 47535 because of their local association with the name University of Leicester, Barwell being in Leicestershire.

What to me proves the point about choosing locos that are easy to renumber is that the recent Large Logo release 47436 sold though sufficiently quickly to not appear in the latest catalogue despite only being released last year. And what has Bachmann replaced it with... another namer 47444 University of Nottingham so even the name is sort of repetitive. It will be interesting to see if that sells out quickly or hangs around like 47535, which sold out but not before being discounted in some quarters.

sadly 436 has the wrong fuel tanks for most Large Logo 47s - so limited to a handful of numbers. 47444 has the correct fuel tanks so does open up a few more opportunities.........

47436 seems to be hanging around a while with most stockists still having plenty in stock - body shells are useful - chassis not so much so ......

• RMweb Premium

sadly 436 has the wrong fuel tanks for most Large Logo 47s - so limited to a handful of numbers. 47444 has the correct fuel tanks so does open up a few more opportunities.........

47436 seems to be hanging around a while with most stockists still having plenty in stock - body shells are useful - chassis not so much so ......

Few opportunities...? The model of 47436 is fitted with Bachmann's representation of the original underframe tanks as fitted to the Class 47 when built, whereas Bachmann image of 47444 shows it with battery boxes and the water tanks removed. I haven't looked through all the photos on Class47.co.uk but there seem to be plenty of 47/4s of both types to give a good range of renumbering options.

Few opportunities...? The model of 47436 is fitted with Bachmann's representation of the original underframe tanks as fitted to the Class 47 when built, whereas Bachmann image of 47444 shows it with battery boxes and the water tanks removed. I haven't looked through all the photos on Class47.co.uk but there seem to be plenty of 47/4s of both types to give a good range of renumbering options.

yes, there's got to be lots that match the original underframe in that livery to renumber to. A quick flick through some photos suggests at least 47428, 47439, 47442, 47448, 47451, 47455, 47456, 47459, 47466, 47481, 47488, 47519, 47563, 47971. Theres bound to be somewrong boiler ports in there or perhaps a flush front that a quick look doesn't show up straight away - 47460, 47473 and 47526 have the right tanks but a flush front.

Another possibility for a retailer commission - 

Now if Oxford were to do some Pretendolino Mk3a's (albeit with a production compromise regarding the RFM variant).

Will just have to hang on-to the Hornby DVT.

Edited by jonathan452
  • Like 1

Another possibility for a retailer commission - 

Now if Oxford were to do some Pretendolino Mk3a's (albeit with a production compromise regarding the RFM variant).

Will just have to hang on-to the Hornby DVT.

Thank you. That’s a very nice livery. Perhaps an option for the year after whenever the first three appear.

• 2 months later...

Hopefully.

Though you would have thought we would haves seen some CADs by now.

Or a 'stereo' model a-la the Hornby 87.

Bachmann rarely show CADs and have only shown a few stereo examples before so a bit unlikely from the blue team?

I'm inclined to agree with you, another example being Bachmann's unique red stripe Railfreight 47. I might well have bought a red stripe Rf 47, but I would want a typical example, not a unique one. It certainly couldn't be renumbered without a respray, which would defeat the object of buying that particular one in the first place. They seemed to end up in Hattons bargain section pretty quickly and stayed there for ages too.

Agree but the white stripe does come away easy enough with some t-cut / cotton bud. I have done several locos like this up to press and it really opens up some interesting locos

Edited by eric709

• 4 weeks later...

Class 90 to feature a DCC controlled Pantograph apparently, if it is going to be done to the same standard as these new Mk2f, it's going to be pretty impressive.

Great balls of fire! I didn’t ever expect to see that on 00 RTR! Taking into consideration coaches stuffed with passengers and the lighting features of the Mk. IIfs, Bachmann seems to be going for broke. Unfortunately, I’m the one who will be broke. :(