Private Owner Wagons to BR Private Owner Wagons

I have acquired (at the right price) a number of Private Owner Wagons.  As such they do not fit the time period for my BR (1953 to 1960 sort of) layout.  In various photographs of this time period, I have seen PO wagons in their original livery although very dirty and with the original livery almost un-read-able.  My plan is to weather these wagons to this condition but I cannot find a picture showing if said wagons have BR PO numbers on them.  Can anyone help.  

Thanks

If the original owners' markings were no longer legible then initially they had the owners name and town painted in the bottom left corner of the side.  I don't think this was on a black panel.  There's an example fairly early in DaveF's fantastic photo thread from last year (a Co-op wagon IIRC).

Once they were nationalised then they were renumbered by wagon works in fairly short order but this was not much more than a black panel bottom left and a P number and capacity.

There are pictures of PO wagons in very good order at the end of the 1950s, so don't assume they were all falling apart just because some were.

Some of mine:

POs_2_zps85be519d.jpg

POs_1_zpscff4c570.jpg

coalwag2_zps3eb81fa5.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Ex-PO wagons received a number prefixed "P" painted at the bottom left hand corner of the sde as you look at it, usually on a black rectangle with the load (eg 10T) above. Apparently it took some time to do so some wagons ran into the early 50s without them. Some would also have received the owner's name, location and original running number in small block letters in the lower left side. This was done from about 1943/44 on wagons where the lettering was becoming illegible, but often lasted into BR days with the P number added below.

Paul Bartlett's site has pictures of ex-PO wagons in BR days, including some with vestiges of original lettering:  http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/privateownerwagon

Pete

I have acquired (at the right price) a number of Private Owner Wagons.  As such they do not fit the time period for my BR (1953 to 1960 sort of) layout.  In various photographs of this time period, I have seen PO wagons in their original livery although very dirty and with the original livery almost un-read-able.  My plan is to weather these wagons to this condition but I cannot find a picture showing if said wagons have BR PO numbers on them.  Can anyone help.  

Thanks

See Sheets BL43 & BL44 @ http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

A couple of my examples including a coke wagon. Often there appears to be a simple grey 'patch' painted where the new P number is going to be, or the bottom ddor marking.

I have found a fibreglass pen useful for 'fading' the P.O. lettering

Cheers,

Peter C.post-294-0-37853900-1404984744_thumb.jpg

Such wagons were marked as such, initially 'NP' and later the full 'Non-Pool'.  Some examples here, transfers here and a link to some examples on Paul Bartlett's site.

Thanks Jonathan for the mention. Just to build on that and give some more info, we've literally just released this pack of non-pool markings and have numerous more accompanying packs both available already as well as in the pipe. As always, if there are packs that modellers here would find useful which are not yet available, please do let us know as this heavily influences what direction we take. We realise that the folks on forums such as these are the core of our business so we're always more than happy to listen.

Thanks,

Steve

Having a few minutes this afternoon, I went back to DaveF's fantastic thread. There are examples of PO wagons on almost every page for you, but what I was specifically looking for was one with the owner's name painted on in the bottom left corner. An outstanding example at the bottom of page 14 and another in JVol2148 on page 9.

If you haven't looked in there before, spend some time going through the whole thread. It's well worth your while.

I had been to DaveFs thread,  it is an incredible source of information and I have used it on several occasions.  However, in this case I could not find a picture that showed just what i was after in enough detail although I will admit that I did not go through every page.

• RMweb Gold

Having a few minutes this afternoon, I went back to DaveF's fantastic thread. There are examples of PO wagons on almost every page for you, but what I was specifically looking for was one with the owner's name painted on in the bottom left corner. An outstanding example at the bottom of page 14 and another in JVol2148 on page 9.

If you haven't looked in there before, spend some time going through the whole thread. It's well worth your while.

I had been to DaveFs thread,  it is an incredible source of information and I have used it on several occasions.  However, in this case I could not find a picture that showed just what i was after in enough detail although I will admit that I did not go through every page.

Just a quick mention that the images from my thread of B/W photos are now also on flickr, in albums, which might be quicker to look through than going through the whole thread.

My photostream is at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/

Then click on "Albums", there are two pages of them.  Click on the album title and you get all the photos and can enlarge any of them by  clicking.

David

Archived