3D Printed 'OO' Modern Image Lineside Details

Hi,

Tomorrow I'm planning on a day of drawing up more models that have been suggested and tweaks to a couple of others (the Point Heating Transformers)

Simon

Hi,

I'm sorry, but this hasn't happened, I was too tempted by doing stuff on my layout http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88321-newgate-lane-lessons-in-modelling-the-modern-railway/ . Maybe tomorrow afternoon / evening I'll sit down and do some more stuff.

If you were eagerly awaiting new developments today, I do apologise!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I like the idea of the level crossing panels, I'll look into it!

Then you need to decide if they are for 00, EM, P4 and which make of track - Peco code 75, code 100, settrack, C&L, SMP, P4 track company, Exactoscale etc etc................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

some lovely items there simon

not used shapeways before and i notice its prices are in euro's, can i get the site to show me the price in "proper money?

also shipping seems expensive (again in euros) for say just the catch pit lids, does it remain the same, or are postage discounts applied for more than one item dispatched at the same time?

not used shapeways before and i notice its prices are in euro's, can i get the site to show me the price in "proper money?

also shipping seems expensive (again in euros) for say just the catch pit lids, does it remain the same, or are postage discounts applied for more than one item dispatched at the same time?

There should be a small flag in the top left corner to sort pricing out.

Shipping is I believe a flat rate, and comes in the same size box even if it is a tiny detail. The small components come in a ziplock bag though.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

I realise you are concentrating on modern railway equipment, but would you also consider :

Standard GWR style station chimneys ( large & small)

Domestic driveway wooden gates & brick gate posts

Yellow water hydrant location posts

Wall mounted Royal Mail post boxes

I can supply photos of each if required.

Also... what about workshop eqipment ?

Pillar drill, band saw, lathe, etc.

Stu

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

Then you need to decide if they are for 00, EM, P4 and which make of track - Peco code 75, code 100, settrack, C&L, SMP, P4 track company, Exactoscale etc etc................

Cheers,

Mick

Hi,

Having looked at it, they would be pretty easy to make out of Cork / Plasticard, and I don't want the art if modelling to die, so that one may not happen after all!

Hi Jim,

I'll get out my price list that has sterling in it and post it on here, and yes you are right, the postage is fairly high, but it is coming all the way from Holland. I would recommend that you get a few things together (not just from me btw), as the cost of postage stays roughly the same.

Hi Simon,

I realise you are concentrating on modern railway equipment, but would you also consider :

Standard GWR style station chimneys ( large & small)

Domestic driveway wooden gates & brick gate posts

I can supply photos of each if required.

Also... what about workshop eqipment ?

Pillar drill, band saw, lathe, etc.

Stu

I can't see why I can't to those things, maybe the Chimneys I might struggle with as the CAD Program I use does have its limitations in doing compound curves (well, at least I haven't discovered how to do them well).

The workshop components I'm unsure of as I know you can get from elsewhere.

Simon

Hi,

Also, as some of you guys may know, I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks, so new products may be less often, as I'm going to concentrate on work, but for the moment I'll try and sort some stuff and I do hope to continue.

Simon

Hi,

Tomorrow I'm planning on a day of drawing up more models that have been suggested and tweaks to a couple of others (the Point Heating Transformers)

Simon

Hi,

Right I've tweaked the Point Heating Transformers with a new base, based on one I photographed at High Wycombe Station on Monday:

post-7271-0-55164900-1408009555.jpg

Here's the models, rendered in Polished, White Strong and Flexible:

post-7271-0-14101700-1408009540.jpg

Hi Jim,

I'll get out my price list that has sterling in it and post it on here, and yes you are right, the postage is fairly high, but it is coming all the way from Holland. I would recommend that you get a few things together (not just from me btw), as the cost of postage stays roughly the same.

Here's the Price list for everything so far:

post-7271-0-40786600-1408009760_thumb.jpg

Hope this Helps Jim!

Simon

So, my axle counters and catch pits arrived 10 minutes ago. They are absolutely fantastic Simon. I've got another order ready now for the flange greasers and point heaters.

Well done fella. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with!

Jim, the relatively high cost of shipping is probably due to UPS being used as the shipping agent and as Simon said earlier it may be worthwhile order a number of things at once to offset the carriage costs.

If anyone wants pictures of the items let me know!

• RMweb Premium

So, my axle counters and catch pits arrived 10 minutes ago. They are absolutely fantastic Simon. I've got another order ready now for the flange greasers and point heaters.Well done fella. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with!Jim, the relatively high cost of shipping is probably due to UPS being used as the shipping agent and as Simon said earlier it may be worthwhile order a number of things at once to offset the carriage costs.If anyone wants pictures of the items let me know!

could you post some pics it would be cool to see them

• RMweb Premium

They look really good. May order some myself. I'm really impressed with 3d printing.

I recently ordered some class 70 grilles that were 3d printed by shape ways. They're really good too.

Yes, they're very nicely done. Very sharp defined edges much better than cast metal. I have a load of Knightwing point heaters but I'm going to get these 3d printed ones instead.

I personally think 3d printers are going to revolutionise not only our hobby but life in general in the very near future. It's all very exciting!

• RMweb Premium

I personally think 3d printers are going to revolutionise not only our hobby but life in general in the very near future. It's all very exciting!

3D printers are old hat.

What we really need is one of these............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEez9lNh8Uw

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Hi,

Just a quick note, when painting the Catch Pit Lids, don't load up the brush with paint, I 'Dry Brushed' my ones, as lots of paint clogs the holes (although if you 'stipple' the paint on, it clears the holes quite well'. You can also spray paint them, as this doesn't clog the holes.

Simon

Hi Simon

Would you be interested in doing a Ground Position Light set - such that you could stick some small LED's in to illuminate?

Thanks

How about some modern signal heads that van be fitted with miniature LED's? Including ground mounted shunt signals - maybe in two parts to allow assembly of the LED's within the housing?

Hi,

Actually in response to these request, I have found these people:

http://www.scaledesign.co.uk

They are based in High Wycombe (as am I) and produce Unipart Dorman Signals and PLS Signals, I've ordered a single signal for the new layout, so I'll report back on that thread (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88321-newgate-lane-lessons-in-modelling-the-modern-railway/&do=findComment&comment=1554111).

I am still looking at producing a range of Unipart Signals in 3D printing as kits for lower cost for those that need loads of them, but as they based in my home town, I don't want to take too much Buisness away from them.

Simon

P.S. I have no connection with them at all.

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

Stu

Hi Stu,

What about these:

Wall Mounted Post Boxes:

post-7271-0-76257300-1408295429.jpg

I tried to add 'ER' onto the front, but they were too small to print. Now, it make look thick on the CAD drawing, but the raised bits are only 0.3 mm high and wide, so it shouldn't be too thick when printed in FUD.

Fire Hydrants:

post-7271-0-58397600-1408295056.jpg

There are rendered in Polished White Strong and Flexible and I'll also make them available in Yellow Polish Strong and Flexible to help painting the sign background, which is recessed into the post, while the 'H' is embossed above the post to help with painting.

Also, the Wheelchair Ramp is now available, but I haven't test printed it.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

They look really good. As you've not added the ER, the post boxes can also be used for GR or even VR periods too.

And probably either CR or WR in the future!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm sorry if there been a little bit of silence over the past couple of weeks, but I have been busy other other things.

On Monday, I ordered test prints of the Point Heating Transformers and Mechanical Lubricators as well as the Half platform Shelter and Stored Wheelchair ramp. I will have all of them probably late next week, but I'm aiming to have all of my range with me at RMWeb Live on the 13th / 14th, I won't have an Official stand, as I'm operating Loughborough Road, but I will have them with me if anyone would like a closer inspection when I'm not operating, just say hello and ask about them!

As said before, I've just started a new job and will be in the process of moving house, so don't expect any new products for a little while, but I will try my best!

Simon

• Like 1