Agenoria WR 1366 Pannier for Pencarrow Bridge

2ManySpams

The "coppery thing on the left" is the brake handle/small ejector and needs to move to the right side under the weird thingy on the right :jester: .

unless you have a left hand drive version! (runs and hides...)

Jon F.

Jon

Are you sure?  It could be, but it looks wrong to me.

Were there two kinds of brake lever?  the "wooden handled one with a pointer" as visible in the photo of the other pannier cab a few posts above, and a "wheel with a built in lever" which is what I make the "coppery thing" to have on it  - I think I've been confused by this before!

Simon

Thanks, the name is a bit of a misnomer really.

Don

Don, not really:

An injector takes steam from the boiler, and using its (heat) energy, "injects" water into the boiler against boiler pressure. (This is actually very clever - the inventor, a Frenchman named Henri Giffard according to Wikipedia, deserves a gold star for being really rather smart). The heat energy used is from condensation of the steam, which is why many injectors (particularly, but not exclusively, very small model ones) are a prize PITA if they get hot.

An ejector takes steam from the boiler, and using its (velocity) energy, "ejects" air from the brake reservoirs and train pipe, against atmospheric pressure. This is smart, but not as smart as an injector. It's also the same principle as the carburettor on a petrol engine.

In both cases, it is also possible to use exhaust steam. (Albeit, probably not for your petrol engine!)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injector

BR

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Will have to find a fireman that looks like Robin!

My missus always wanted me to look like a fireman but that's for another thread and definitely not here. :jester:

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Don, not really:

An injector takes steam from the boiler, and using its (heat) energy, "injects" water into the boiler against boiler pressure. (This is actually very clever - the inventor, a Frenchman named Henri Giffard according to Wikipedia, deserves a gold star for being really rather smart). The heat energy used is from condensation of the steam, which is why many injectors (particularly, but not exclusively, very small model ones) are a prize PITA if they get hot.

An ejector takes steam from the boiler, and using its (velocity) energy, "ejects" air from the brake reservoirs and train pipe, against atmospheric pressure. This is smart, but not as smart as an injector. It's also the same principle as the carburettor on a petrol engine.

In both cases, it is also possible to use exhaust steam. (Albeit, probably not for your petrol engine!)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injector

BR

Simon

The term ejector suggest forcing something out rather than drawing it out by a local drop in pressure ( venturi effect?). Apologies for rather drifting from topic  I fully accept that for our models how it works is irrelevant.

Don

Jon

Are you sure?  It could be, but it looks wrong to me.

Were there two kinds of brake lever?  the "wooden handled one with a pointer" as visible in the photo of the other pannier cab a few posts above, and a "wheel with a built in lever" which is what I make the "coppery thing" to have on it  - I think I've been confused by this before!

Simon

Not sure, but the thing the casting most resembles is the brake valve with the "pepper pot" style and the little valve on the right for the ejector. Whether its the right one for the loco...

Looks like the right one from the cab picture posted earlier though...

JF

• RMweb Gold

Not sure, but the thing the casting most resembles is the brake valve with the "pepper pot" style and the little valve on the right for the ejector. Whether its the right one for the loco...

Looks like the right one from the cab picture posted earlier though...

JF

That is definitely what it looks like to me, but I do wonder if it is the correct type for a small tank engine (apart from the fact that it belongs on the right hand side of course).

• RMweb Premium

Their is a railway enthusiasts on her way to visit you this weekend,they left hear about 3/4 of an hour ago but only got to Weedon,hope you have a lock on the train room door.

The mini train enthusiast is sleeping in the train room. I've done some tidying using a large spade. All the important stuff has been moved up out of reach. All the sharp stuff has been left laying around. Tell Grandma that I think it's important to learn early that you don't touch sharp things. ;-p

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Train room now a nursery:

Looks like a suitably safe environment to me:

Just so long as the little one is kept in that mesh cage :jester:  Before too long he/she will be asking where's Thomas :nono:

Don

After one brief encounter (and entirely non damaging) with a no 11 Swann Morton, my two became extremely protective of Dad's bench, and would not let adult visitors touch anything that was even slightly close to it.

Some 15 years later, they can both solder, and wield a screwdriver. Neither have any lasting interest in steam locos...

Simon

• Like 1

Just so long as the little one is kept in that mesh cage :jester:  Before too long he/she will be asking where's Thomas :nono:

Don

That's so true. Our first grand-child, who is now 9 months old and was born and lives in the USA,  visited us last month. He was captivated by my sound-fitted 0 gauge locos and went home with an Ixion Fowler 0-4-0 diesel complete with nameplates bearing his name courtesy of Narrow Planet.

• Like 5