Agenoria WR 1366 Pannier for Pencarrow Bridge

2ManySpams

how many builders expect issues with kits as being the norm and just correct them without a thought using years of experience and well honed skills?

I'm not sure about the " well honed skills " bit, but I have built quite a few locos over the years, and to be brutally honest there have been issues some big and some small with every loco kit I have ever built. I cannot speak for the MOK range but I have heard the kits are a joy to build.

I am not going to name and shame and I have struggled over the years with some right c**p kits that are basically not fit for purpose, and once bitten I never return to that supplier even if they have a certain loco that no one else does, I would rather scratch build.

Even some of the so called " top of the range " kits can have issues and by that not necessarily the actual etches, but for instance next to no instructions, deformed castings, etc.

With the wonders of the web you can now usually find a review or as the years go by you get to know by word of mouth what kits to avoid, apart from that just start building up those " well honed skills " ;) .

HTH,

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Flicking through the books on the Book Law stand they looked to cover lots of basics and explanations of how to work with metal and the tools to use. I doubt that I'll be scratch building locos any time soon but to make the 1366 sub-assemblies permanently detachable I'll certainly be making parts. It seemed to cover stuff that I didn't even know that I didn't know. Should be some good bedtime reading.

• Like 4

I have been scanning some very old negatives over the weekend and found this one.  It was taken by my Dad (who was a spotter) in I think 1939 during a visit to Swindon works judging by the other shots in the sequence.

Luckily, he kept the negs in waxed paper albums so they are in good nick. This is heavily compressed so res isn't as good as it can be.

Hope you find this interesting and good luck with resolving the issues.

post-1733-0-08831900-1410666037_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I have been scanning some very old negatives over the weekend and found this one.  It was taken by my Dad (who was a spotter) in I think 1939 during a visit to Swindon works judging by the other shots in the sequence.

Luckily, he kept the negs in waxed paper albums so they are in good nick. This is heavily compressed so res isn't as good as it can be.

Hope you find this interesting and good luck with resolving the issues.

Oh, that's what you're building.....

• RMweb Premium

All quiet on the 1366 front yesterday as I ended up working until just before 10pm. Wouldn't have been so late if I hadn't popped into RMweb Live on Saturday.

Saturday after the show I did some more work to avoid bending the cab roof. Drilled fixing holes in the footplate to locate the cab/tank sub-assemblies. Soldered 6BA nuts on the footplate to locate and fix the chassis. Made a minor adjustment to the position of the portside beam pivot bearing location (moved it back a tad). And finally cut short a fixed the bar that attaches the compensation beams. As I said, lots of avoiding going on.

• RMweb Premium

You wanted a square one photo guv?  Looks like your height adjustment has had the right effect but I suspect the tank side handrails might be a little low?

attachicon.gifDSCF7953.jpg

Yes I've noted that the tank adjustment means that the handrails don't line up. I'm holding judgment until three beading around the cab opening is fixed but I think that the cab holes are a tad too high. That great photo on the previous page appears to show that they line up with the bottom of the opening. Sods Law will mean that the tank handrails will need adjustment too...

Great to meet up with you and Robin at the show. Thanks both for the photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A cunning plan...

post-6675-0-68293600-1410803829_thumb.jpg

Substantial rectangular brass section tack soldered across the etch. Round rod soldered against the rectangular section. Small persuasive taps from a yomma. Job done. (tried pushing the curve around with bits of wood etc but that failed). Unsolder brass. Sorted!

• Like 3