The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Doctor Who - Series 8

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

Do you remember the days where TV programs just used to appear in your telly without the hype?   Now, particularly on BBC the time between programs is spent telling us what programs are coming, to the extent that you are heartily sick of the trailers when the program comes round.  Its the same on radio. The number of times I've heard that trailer for stand up comedian on Radio 2 . Vin de table, from the French region of Table.  Passable the first time, but on hearing for the 30th time!!!!!!!   Come on BBC give us a break

I bow to your superior knowledge, Pete (the earliest DW I remember is The Green Death, which I think was 1973). From Wikipedia:

"Another innovation of theirs from the eighth season onwards was the introduction of the character of the Master as a new nemesis for the Doctor, conceived as a Professor Moriarty to the Doctor's Sherlock Holmes. Played by Roger Delgado, he became a highly popular character, although over the following two seasons it was felt that he became a little overused. Delgado and the production team eventually agreed that he should be written out during the eleventh season by killing the character off, with some ambiguity as to whether or not he had died to save the Doctor."

Same article also says the 10th season was 1973.

Personally I don't mind trailers. I would rather that than miss episodes of something I want to see (even with the catch-up services available today).

Mildly annoying in that I suspect I will miss the first episode due to being on holiday. On the plus side, I should be able to to watch it live from now on as my eldest is now old enough to watch with me. :D

Do you remember the days where TV programs just used to appear in your telly without the hype?   Now, particularly on BBC the time between programs is spent telling us what programs are coming, to the extent that you are heartily sick of the trailers when the program comes round.  Its the same on radio. The number of times I've heard that trailer for stand up comedian on Radio 2 . Vin de table, from the French region of Table.  Passable the first time, but on hearing for the 30th time!!!!!!!   Come on BBC give us a break

Yes, but when there were only 3 channels, no internet, no computer games etc the BBC could be pretty sure that you would watch what they gave you. Like it or not the media environment in 2014 means expensive prime time drama has to fight for every viewer...

Don't want to be too pedantic, but wouldn't series 8 have been shown in something like 1971?

I fear I may be more pedantic :O but according to the BBC Season 8 was broadcast in 1971, Series 8 will be 2014. I have no idea why 1963-1989 DW are 'seasons' and 2005-present DW are 'series' when they are the same show.

But anywho, new episodes of Doctor Who coming soon. :danced:

I fear I may be more pedantic :O but according to the BBC Season 8 was broadcast in 1971, Series 8 will be 2014. I have no idea why 1963-1989 DW are 'seasons' and 2005-present DW are 'series' when they are the same show.

Could it have something to do with the fact that 2005 was the Doctor Who 'reboot' and therefore the BBC wanted to have the show a new image, as it were? Just my pennies worth

GJ

• RMweb Premium

All the BBC has to advertise is itself, so it does it ad nauseam.

With the emphasis on nauseum. Actually in the modern data world it's quite easy to figure out what's on at any time, so still not a fan of the multiple trailers , sometimes within half an hour of each other.

As to season 8, yet another Americanism we seem to be intent on adopting.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Just to say that I'm in the middle of The Green Death story - Jo Grant leaves the series at the end of this one, and Sarah-Jane Smith joins at the start of the next one. Have all the 'classic' Who on disc. Jon Pertwee remains my favourite Doctor.

All the best,

Market65.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

But they're no longer episodes, as now each is a self contained story.

• RMweb Premium

DD2 a doctor who nerd, her description went to watch it at the local cinema and thought it was good. She said before watching she was not sure about the new doctor and also thought it was frightening enough to give little kids nightmares. Any room behind the sofa?

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was better paced than other Moffat-penned episodes, but I can understand that viewers who prefer more clearly told stories might be put off. I think there was intentional ambiguity in it that may not have been executed as well as it could have been, but the 'answers' for which will be revealed as the series progresses.

Although some bits, such as the dinosaur swallowing the Tardis, were silly, overall I enjoyed it.

The new Doctor is good and the sly reference to Peter Capaldi having appeared in the past, "I've seen that face before", was excellent.

Also, the comment about moving on from the long scarf.

I am looking forward to future episodes.

Tony

Got to agree with Andy Y on this, I cant see why script writers have to pen the doctors part with the same type of glib off the cuff throw away statement's that Matt Smith had to carry over from David Tennent (Who maybe because it was fresher back then I feel that David managed to carry it off so much better) Why cant they let each new doctor stamp his own character on the part. I for one was hoping for a more brooding darker doctor, still lets see how it develops.

Archived