OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

It cannot easily be removed by subsequent washing in a carriage washing plant although we used to find that it could be removed by vigorously hand washing a vehicle using GIC (BR General Interior Cleaner) which also had the advantage, when properly rinsed, of leaving a nice shiny finish.  Easy enough (but time expensive) on coaching stock

Hand-bashing with Wundagunge was the answer on the South Eastern.

Can I just confirm this is how my one will look please?

Hi Mike,

no sorry.

i'll get a change made to the Kernow listing to point out that sywp in will not have the red stripe.

I'm still hunting for pictures of the red stripe with sywp, but they either didnt exist or were as rare as green FYWP.

cheers

Dave

Hi Mike,

no sorry.

i'll get a change made to the Kernow listing to point out that sywp in will not have the red stripe.

I'm still hunting for pictures of the red stripe with sywp, but they either didnt exist or were as rare as green FYWP.

cheers

Dave

:( that's really bad news Dave, that's how I like it and as shown

:( that's really bad news Dave, that's how I like it and as shown

Hi Mike,

Totally agree as i like it like that. unfortunately, apart from it being a preserved livery (apparently) id rather have an authentic as possible livery (from its time in regular service).

Apologies for confusing and the disappointment caused.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Mike,

no sorry.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

I can find a number of photos showing them with the red stripe but not yellow panel https://www.flickr.com/photos/gricerman/7777195530/in/photolist-cRf9ZW-cRfa8Y-cRfah7-cRf9Lh-hnVUpA-dLzqWC-bfNysp-fDkpB5-fDkhqd-fD3wox-f3LHbM-fD2YwM-6qhwb5-bfNyNV-7TQZPD-ge2UJw-8kaioc-pKC4DK-7TUfgs-8wPmEr-8wPmbv-8wPmr8-8x5LQs-dhApHu-8nc4p7-8x5LUS-aczAK6-aczAfr-6LGMfg-4CBbEE-6LLX11-7TQY36-7TTQa1-bryREX-eE9LUm-fD36JM-fD34ir-fDjLps-fDjHS1-fD3dCD-fD31Pt-fD3sht-fDknZS-fDk1dL-fDjQHY-fD3EzP-fD3mNz-oiUVDd-ahJb1D-o6NQ8w/

Hi Mike,

ive found them with upper small yellow warning panels and lower small yellow warning panel but with the red strip as well? no, not yet. :-(

Hi Dave

Me to, as I said I thought I was ordering it as preserved.

While disappointed it's not so bad that I'll cancel my order but it does mean I have to decide what's most important to me.

Can I assume that the all green versions as in my pic attached will have the smart red stripe?

post-1423-0-44289400-1416315996_thumb.jpg

Just found a pic on John Evans FLICKR site (tried to put link up but wont let me copy and paste) of what is said to be E5003 at Crewe south shed in Feb 67 with a hefty chunk out of its side. Its still in plain green with no body side stripe and no yellow end. it also says when released it was a Cl 74 E6107 .

There is also a shot on Transport Photographs (also on FLICKR) showing 3 class 71 one of which is said to be E5003 still in light green but with red? body side stripe and no yellow end apparently in October 63

This is being released  OOS71-001 E5003 BR GREEN SMALL YELLOW WARNING PANEL

Trailrage

Further to this I give you (read the caption)-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/2734766075/in/photolist-dYXzvG-8WdtHS-h1t7tL-9kFNB6-5aEoFe-5E5V1n-aWgEEk-9zz52i-cq86FJ-ckV7SS-2NMyBE-nGEtCj-anfC4E-dupYGQ-dujp6v

So the original E5003 didnt receive a yellow panel but did the second one or did it go straight into blue on renumbering?

Edited by royaloak

Royaloak nice find  completely forgot some of the class got renumbered to fill in the gaps from the CL74 conversions

looks like another mystery to be solved

Not worried about the bodyside stripe  just a yellow panel to fit in with my era

The search continues!

I was just stumbling around Flickr and landed on it, I would assume the renumbering took place on repaint to blue, it would have been around the right time for it although pictures of them are a bit thin on the ground.

I was just stumbling around Flickr and landed on it, I would assume the renumbering took place on repaint to blue, it would have been around the right time for it although pictures of them are a bit thin on the ground.

I agree on the pictures.

Books are light on covering the 71 and 74's too.

They tend to cover the 73's a lot but nothing really on the other maidens of the Southern by comparison.

Well took the plunge and ordered these two this morning E5003 BR GREEN SYE and 71013 BR BLUE FYE

I'm sure with big Dave's reputation for quality when we do get to see them in the flesh they will be the most accurate,detailed and beautiful

D&E era models ever produced .

So over to you Dave

PS no pressure then!

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 1

Thanks mate,

However you will, as per my usual practice get to look the cad/cams over before metal cutting.

So it should iron out the wrong roof profile, door steps and railcar hybrids of this world  :angel:  :jester:  :locomotive:

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1