OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

I am sure with the coreless motor and a nice gear train Dave's will run like silk! locos are for running not display cases! Free the locos  :sungum:

Take a Bachmann limited edition Hall in wooden case - ran it on a garden railway

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, can I confirm that the pantagraph will be operational physically?

I want to have a short bit of overhead to demo it :)

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately no, sorry.

A working pantograph, while relatively easy to manufacture, would have to be in metal, with springs to hold tension and wouldnt be as accurate as i would like. plus it would cost a lot more in due cutting, not forgetting the intrusive latch down bars, spoiling the look

Therefore i'm doing it as a plastic panto which is pose able and with a correct panto head.

Cheers

Dave

I realise that 

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately no, sorry.

A working pantograph, while relatively easy to manufacture, would have to be in metal, with springs to hold tension and wouldnt be as accurate as i would like. plus it would cost a lot more in due cutting, not forgetting the intrusive latch down bars, spoiling the look

Therefore i'm doing it as a plastic panto which is pose able and with a correct panto head.

Cheers

Dave

I realise that 

Hmmm! OK but for when I do my review video I'll be able to extend it up to touch the wires I have just put in place to show how it would have been, is that what you mean by poseable? 

Hmmm! OK but for when I do my review video I'll be able to extend it up to touch the wires I have just put in place to show how it would have been, is that what you mean by poseable? 

Hi Mike,

That's correct, i could cop out and do one non scale, but i dont really see the point.

I could spend lots of money on a scale metal sprung one but it would put the price up by a fair bit.

It's a rock and a hard place really for me on this.

cheers

Dave

Hi Mike,

That's correct, i could cop out and do one non scale, but i dont really see the point.

I could spend lots of money on a scale metal sprung one but it would put the price up by a fair bit.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

That's ok then :) just spent some hours and cash or sorting out the overhead wires then suddenly thought!!

As long as I can raise it up to look like its in contact that will be fine :) and I fully understand the costs involved etc.

Cheers

Hi everyone,

Just thought id post some teaser pics from the laser scanning to show how accurate the forthcoming class 71 should be. (lots of extra detail is being added as the conversion from laser scanned item to finished 'tool ready' program is completed).

I'm not going to be showing larger pictures of the cad for now, as i am not in the business of giving potential competitors a leg up when this model is yours through crowd sourcing.

However these teaser pics from the loco should get the juices flowing as to detail i indent the model to have. 

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-46339500-1419002108.jpg

post-1144-0-03850000-1419002123.jpg

post-1144-0-07450100-1419002137.jpg

post-1144-0-20800800-1419002152.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Mike,

cheers

Dave

Probably already mentioned earlier, but Judith Edge do an etched pan for the 71 (and the 70, whenya gonna do those Dave?).

Probably already mentioned earlier, but Judith Edge do an etched pan for the 71 (and the 70, whenya gonna do those Dave?).

I agree, I got all excited when Bachmann first announced a class 70 and was all disappointed when I saw it was one of them 21st century ugly preditor things.

I be want'in a proper Bullief 70, I be....

Just a thought on the pantograph- how about a website link (once the loco is delivered) to places where a working substitute can be sourced for those wo want it?

For example Somerfeldt, Judith Edge etc-

Total cost to Dave is some time to put the links up.

All the very best

Les

(as ever, edited for trypos)

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

Just a thought on the pantograph- how about a website link (once the loco is delivered) to places where a working substitute can be sourced for those wo want it?

For example Somerfeldt, Judith Edge etc-

Total cost to Dave is some time to put the links up.

All the very best

Les

(as ever, edited for trypos)

Hi Les,

I'll be checking the Judith Edge panto out soon, and will probably add this info to the instruction sheet within the box for those that wish further options.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

Just thought id post some teaser pics from the laser scanning to show how accurate the forthcoming class 71 should be. (lots of extra detail is being added as the conversion from laser scanned item to finished 'tool ready' program is completed).

I hate to be picky, but these are not pictures from a laser scan. These are screen grabs of CAD models in a CAD workspace.

I agree, I got all excited when Bachmann first announced a class 70 and was all disappointed when I saw it was one of them 21st century ugly preditor things.

I be want'in a proper Bullief 70, I be....

You do realise that Dave maybe reluctant to market one of these wonderful locos as their nickname was "Hornby's" as in a popular Liverpool based manufacturer at that time.

Here's one of Charlie's examples of a class 71 under the wires at Brockley Green.

post-276-0-86957000-1419076095.jpg

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 2

I hate to be picky, but these are not pictures from a laser scan. These are screen grabs of CAD models in a CAD workspace.

I hate to be picky too ;-)

These are taken from the solidworks conversion directly from the laser scans cloud, fettled up by the scanning company to take into account areas where the laser has not read areas successfully (they had black bogies or underframes for instance). (3D laser rendering)

What i'm then left with is a basis to start the cad/cam design around taking into account moulding, undercuts, added parts, motorised chassis, etc.

So while correct they are a cad of sorts, they are not a cad/cam you can work at the minute. That process is under construction at the moment.

cheers

Dave

You do realise that Dave maybe reluctant to market one of these wonderful locos as their nickname was "Hornby's" as in a popular Liverpool based manufacturer at that time.

Here's one of Charlie's examples of a class 71 under the wires at Brockley Green.

attachicon.gifUnder the wires.JPG

I'm thinking of having the press launch for the model in Binns Road, Liverpool. 

Such delicious irony  :locomotive:  :jester:

• Like 1

Fair point, but perhaps for the benefit of your investors, you should be a bit clearer because "  teaser pics from the laser scanning" led me to believe we'd be seeing some of the raw data (pointcloud) which is of course my bag.

Sorry to hear about the lack of detail for the bogies and undercarriage. Who did you use? 

Fair point, but perhaps for the benefit of your investors, you should be a bit clearer because "  teaser pics from the laser scanning" led me to believe we'd be seeing some of the raw data (pointcloud) which is of course my bag.

Sorry to hear about the lack of detail for the bogies and undercarriage. Who did you use? 

Hi mate,

The problem, apparently with black is that apparently the laser doesnt pick it out too clearly, and as such great care has to be taken when extrapolating the data.

I get your point about the comment. As for the scanning company, i'm not going to do that on an open forum, sorry. However their bona fides are very good, and they are used by Network Rail for infrastructure work, and have worked for other companies on scanning loco's for their models.

cheers

Dave

Perhaps one of the problems with scanning a preserved locomotive (or item of rolling stock, for that matter). The blacks tend to be blacker because they are more often kept clean, where normal service stock tends to weather and fade, so the blacks are really shades of grey and brown.

Perhaps one of the problems with scanning a preserved locomotive (or item of rolling stock, for that matter). The blacks tend to be blacker because they are more often kept clean, where normal service stock tends to weather and fade, so the blacks are really shades of grey and brown.

... ive never had that problem. Its all about technique as much as it is about tech. Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread, or divert its course. Im off to see if the weather is clement enough to run a few new loco's in the garden.  

• Like 1