OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

So with the announcement of the green with FYE, that is all the liverys covered? And although I've got three on order, I'll also be buying all the Hornby versions as well. Complete guess, but I think the DJ will be display and the Hornbys for running.

Eeeeeek, I hope that's saying mine will look equally good in a cabinet as running on your track, and not a slap across my plentiful chops before you've seen it run? Lol ;-)

I can't remember plain green with no red stripe being mentioned ?????

Don't forget the following

BR green, NSYP or stripe

Br green SYWP (lower)

Br green SYWP (upper)

Br green NYWP but stripe

Coach green

As preserved

And probably more to add to this I'd think.

Cheers

Dave

Eeeeeek, I hope that's saying mine will look equally good in a cabinet as running on your track, and not a slap across my plentiful chops before you've seen it run? Lol ;-)

Nop! Didn't mean that! Just limited/special editions are for display as they can't be replaced!

• Like 1

I am sure with the coreless motor and a nice gear train Dave's will run like silk! locos are for running not display cases! Free the locos  :sungum:

Like these - iconic for Kent and 71's in the late 60's & early - mid 70's - trains of onions from Dover to somewhere.................

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrytransfesavan1959

Paddock Wood actually. Transfesa had a big depot there. I suspect onward travel was by road

Dave, this may well have been covered earlier in the thread (if so forgive me for asking): what DCC socket/plug arrangement will be fitted, please?

Edit: I know the original specs say 21-pin; I just wanted to confirm that in view of the fact that Dapol seemed to be moving towards the 22-pin PLuX standard.

Edited by SRman

Like these - iconic for Kent and 71's in the late 60's & early - mid 70's - trains of onions from Dover to somewhere.................

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrytransfesavan1959

Paddock Wood actually. Transfesa had a big depot there. I suspect onward travel was by road

Distributed , by.........Frenchmen on bicycles ?

Edited by David Todd

Well what a fun time it was ordering one. Took 24 hours to get the payment through as my bank thought it was a suspicious purchase and blocked my account until I told them that yes I really, really wanted this 71.

Thankfully the kind folks at Kernow were understanding!

That would be one destination, but if you read all the captions, these were all pictured well north of there, the nearest being Hoo.

I must admit to not looking at the phots. I saw enough Transfega wagons at Padock Wood to last a lifetime on my daily comute from Staplehurst.1976 -1992.  I am plesantly suprised they did get as far as Warrington and Manchester. One quirk to model would be mismatched axleboxes. There were at least 2 diferent designs. The most common was domed with a square recess, probably an oil filler. The other had a flat end. On ocasion a wagon would have one of each, presumably one was discarded at the gauge change 

Dave, this may well have been covered earlier in the thread (if so forgive me for asking): what DCC socket/plug arrangement will be fitted, please?

Edit: I know the original specs say 21-pin; I just wanted to confirm that in view of the fact that Dapol seemed to be moving towards the 22-pin PLuX standard.

Hi SRman,

The 71 will be 21 pin DCC decoder ready.

Although I was keen to adopt the 22 pin in a previous life, I've not seem any UK guys do this ,so I'm sticking with the tried and tested 21pin.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks Dave. The 21-pin (and 8-pin) decoders are much easier to find and also offer more variety from more different manufacturers. I'm much happier to stick with those for now as I keep a small stock of spares to allow for new purchases.

I will definitely be running my 71 when it comes - no shelves for that! 

If a syp green with red/white stripes does present itself in a photo somewhere, that would be a version I would prefer, otherwise I'll stay with the plain green syp one I have ordered. Given time to save up a little more, I might even spring for a blue fyp one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would hope so - it was carried from 1968 to 1974 after all - a significant portion of their service life. The TOPS period was less than 4 years in comparison, but gets 2 models, compared to 0 BR Blue Pre-Tops ones.  Which is a shame, cos I like the pre-tops blue era the best..... I would be happy with a blank one for maximum numbering choice.