Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

• RMweb Premium

We have an assurance from Andy (having spoken with both parties) that relations between Locomotion and Bachmann are good.

Can't we just leave it at that as anything else is pure speculation and muck stirring.

The loco is lovely. I picked mine up at York as well and many thanks to Sandra for sorting it out.

One RMWebber was a bit miffed that I got mine before he got his but I can live with that!

It looks lovely on the layout in the photos. The only way to sort out the anomaly is surely to backdate the whole layout. How can anybody of sane mind see that vision in green and teak and want anything else?

Thanks to Locomotion, and particularly Sandra who spotted my local address and took mine along to the York Show on the off chance that we might meet (which we did), I was very pleased to be able to pick up my 251 today.

Must say I'm very impressed with what came out of the box; having added the majority of the add on parts, here are a few quick pictures, winding Finsbury Square back in time to the first quarter of the twentieth century.

attachicon.gifP1010183.jpg

attachicon.gifP1010184.jpg

attachicon.gifP1010185.jpg

attachicon.gifP1010186.jpg

attachicon.gifP1010187.jpg

There are quite a lot of additional parts to add but the diagrammatic instructions are clear as to where they go.

There seem to be two different sets of brake rodding for the loco and I wasn't sure why - perhaps they cover different periods of operation?  I fitted the parts that needed gluing with Evostick in case they needed to be taken off again to allow the loco to negotiate curves.  However having unplugged the front tension lock coupling, I was able to fit the front dummy screw coupling, side chains, steam heat connection and guard irons and the loco would happily negotiate the 3' minimum radius on my layout.  I also fitted the piston tail rod covers, and I see the left hand one is drooping in the last photo, so that needs reattaching. Also provided are small segments to fill the cut outs in the cylinder fronts, which have been provided to enable the bogie to swing - I haven't attached these yet so don't know whether they would restrict operation.  This arrangement is much less obtrusive than the way Hornby usually do this, which involves a whole quadrant being cut out of the cylinder fronts!  Cab doors are provided but I haven't attached them yet; again, as I was concerned they would restrict operation.

I haven't added the dummy screw coupling to the rear of the tender (or the steam heat connection) as I thought they would impair the functional coupling from working.  The rear guard irons are already attached to the tender.  The tender vents are also separate parts; once these are glued in place I presume it would be impossible to remove the die cast coal load - for the photographs I've just placed these in position.

The packet of parts does include a moulded headlamp, but the ones in the pictures are my own Springtide ones dropped over the lamp irons.  The tender drawbar is the usual Bachmann adjustable design, and I found the loco would operate on my layout with it on the closest setting.  The fall plate is freely hinged, and caused no problems on curves.

The finish is beautiful, even including picking out parts of the representative inside valve gear, and the loco runs smoothly and quietly straight from the box.

I haven't really tested its haulage capabilities yet but it didn't have any problems with the train in the pictures.  I just need to decide what it's doing on a c.1960 BR(E) layout - anybody got an 'SLS Special' headboard?

Thanks for the pictures, my jumper is getting wet from drooling...

I wish the postman would hurry up and deliver mine.

Dam bank holidays.....

Nice pictures of the GNR version and rolling stock , my only slight concerns are,

The very wide Red Lining on the Tender frames, a Bachmann trait compared to what Hornby produce.

Would the Rear corner handrails be Green when all the others are Silver ?

Chimney looks set too far back?

• RMweb Premium

Nice pictures of the GNR version and rolling stock , my only slight concerns are,

The very wide Red Lining on the Tender frames, a Bachmann trait compared to what Hornby produce.

Would the Rear corner handrails be Green when all the others are Silver ?

Chimney looks set too far back?

I am struggling to see any rear corner green handrails. Are you talking tender or loco?

The red lining on the tender frames looks pretty much to scale to my eyes, and is actually very nicely done. Perhaps it just looks overscale in the photos and it is a camera/photography thing.

post-1457-0-28030500-1428349015.jpg

The chimney position looks OK compared to the real thing but I haven't measured it.

Comparing with photos of the real thing I have just spotted that the splasher tops are black on the model but looking at photos of the real thing in preservation, they are green.

GNR/LNER splasher top colours have always puzzled me as there seems to be no fixed rule so perhaps at some time they have been painted black.

Tony

• Like 3

Thanks to Locomotion, and particularly Sandra who spotted my local address and took mine along to the York Show on the off chance that we might meet (which we did), I was very pleased to be able to pick up my 251 today.

Must say I'm very impressed with what came out of the box; having added the majority of the add on parts, here are a few quick pictures, winding Finsbury Square back in time to the first quarter of the twentieth century.

attachicon.gifP1010183.jpg

attachicon.gifP1010184.jpg

attachicon.gifP1010185.jpg

attachicon.gifP1010186.jpg

attachicon.gifP1010187.jpg

There are quite a lot of additional parts to add but the diagrammatic instructions are clear as to where they go.

There seem to be two different sets of brake rodding for the loco and I wasn't sure why - perhaps they cover different periods of operation?  I fitted the parts that needed gluing with Evostick in case they needed to be taken off again to allow the loco to negotiate curves.  However having unplugged the front tension lock coupling, I was able to fit the front dummy screw coupling, side chains, steam heat connection and guard irons and the loco would happily negotiate the 3' minimum radius on my layout.  I also fitted the piston tail rod covers, and I see the left hand one is drooping in the last photo, so that needs reattaching. Also provided are small segments to fill the cut outs in the cylinder fronts, which have been provided to enable the bogie to swing - I haven't attached these yet so don't know whether they would restrict operation.  This arrangement is much less obtrusive than the way Hornby usually do this, which involves a whole quadrant being cut out of the cylinder fronts!  Cab doors are provided but I haven't attached them yet; again, as I was concerned they would restrict operation.

I haven't added the dummy screw coupling to the rear of the tender (or the steam heat connection) as I thought they would impair the functional coupling from working.  The rear guard irons are already attached to the tender.  The tender vents are also separate parts; once these are glued in place I presume it would be impossible to remove the die cast coal load - for the photographs I've just placed these in position.

The packet of parts does include a moulded headlamp, but the ones in the pictures are my own Springtide ones dropped over the lamp irons.  The tender drawbar is the usual Bachmann adjustable design, and I found the loco would operate on my layout with it on the closest setting.  The fall plate is freely hinged, and caused no problems on curves.

The finish is beautiful, even including picking out parts of the representative inside valve gear, and the loco runs smoothly and quietly straight from the box.

I haven't really tested its haulage capabilities yet but it didn't have any problems with the train in the pictures.  I just need to decide what it's doing on a c.1960 BR(E) layout - anybody got an 'SLS Special' headboard?

Mmmmmm..... very tasty.  C'mon postman, hurry up and bring me mine! 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. Unless my eyes are playing me up, the tender frame lining, on magnifying the above photo', has two colours, pink as well as red. It really is most impressive, and well done to Bachmann if I am seeing the lining-out correctly.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, everyone. Unless my eyes are playing me up, the tender frame lining, on magnifying the above photo', has two colours, pink as well as red. It really is most impressive, and well done to Bachmann if I am seeing the lining-out correctly.

All the best,

Market65.

That will be the snapshot taken in grotty lighting to illustrate that the lining isn't too thick. It is all one colour (a very nice red)!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Tony - I was going to say, the width of the red lining on the frames in my pictures was probably exaggerated by my photography!  Just been to check, and no handrails on the rear corner of mine's tender, either - nor are there in photos of the real thing.

Having noticed concerns expressed on another forum regarding the 'tracking' of the pony truck (which I think was speculation by persons who hadn't actually run one), I felt I should add that mine runs perfectly through the pointwork on my layout (which includes crossovers made up from Peco double slips) both forwards and in reverse.  I wish the K's one I built 30 odd years ago ran as well!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. That rear pony truck is a good arrangement, for I've suffered no derailments over some slightly uneven trackwork including crossovers and reverse curves. It just is a really good model in all respects as far as I can see.

I thought my eyes might be at fault regarding the lining, but it still looks very good to me.

All the best,

Market65.

Tender frame lining looks much better colour in the latest photos still looks about 0.5mm wide ? about 1.5 inches wide ? Hornby manage about 0.3 or less. I wonder why Bachmann don't do the same attention to detail , they have done the same on the LNER version of the A2 as well.

As to what I thought was a rear handrail (on the tender)  after seeing the ones I posted on page 38 again it is actually dirt marks on that picture. The weathered BR version has them perhaps a later addition ?

I notice some individuals mention detail and lining as a matter of course as if they could do better. Anyone with  knowledge of the width of full-size lining will know it is inevitably slightly overscale on 4mm models, and so close up photography will highlight this fact.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What's this....

All those lovely coaches you've built and the lineing is not to scale. :)

"WHAT PUT ME DOWN I CAN WALK OUT MY SELF"

Picks oneself up dusts self down and wobbles of down the street 'sound of door slamming behind.

it didn't have any problems with the train in the pictures.

I do. We can't see it properly. Come on, Steve, I can see the ECJS Luggage Brake, but what are the clerestory and the two Howldens behind it?

Never mind thread drift, any thread on this forum is improved by a bit of teak.

• Like 1

I'm interested to hear positive remarks about that rear pony truck. One appraisal doesn't confirm all of course, but I had feared from the earlier picture that it swung on too short an arm to give the correct alignment of wheels to rails.

Guest spet0114

I do. We can't see it properly. Come on, Steve, I can see the ECJS Luggage Brake, but what are the clerestory and the two Howldens behind it?

You can't get the wood, you know.....

It's a funny ol' world.....I can get lining to scale but then, I'm not a tampo or whatever machine. What I am saying is the people who are critical of machine lining be it on a RTR model or on waterslide transfers need to be realistic. My bow pen can apply lining so thin is it hardly visible. This is particularly so when it comes to red, which is not the most opaque of colours, but then what would be the point. In contrast, white is opaque and tends to look wider than it actually is, so I distress it to make light grey. It's a slight digression but I am attempting to put this lining business into context. The GNR livery as applied to the NRM Atlantic would cost more than the loco if applied by a professional painter......

post-6680-0-41568900-1428399896.jpg

T-B-G quote from above....."One RMWebber was a bit miffed that I got mine before he got his but I can live with that!"

No, not miffed, just surprised!

Got it converted to EM yet then?!!

Edited by pete55

Steve Pearce shows the way. Come on some brave manufacturer, explore the niche that is the ECJS and all the lines that ran to York in the pre-group to early LNER period. Contemporary observers rated this the greatest railway show in the UK, with nine companies regularly represented, practically every loco and carriage livery colour and scheme imaginable on show. The NRM 'just happens' to be there too...

It feels like there will be a bit more competition this year, but the C1 certainly is a contender.

I can see myself torn five or six ways on locos by the time of the poll, if everything rolls out. J15, now this C1; D16/3, Gresley O2 and quite possibly the J50. And the S15 may be from the wrong place, but it is an awfully handsome machine and will make a fine model.

Been in this situation since the year that saw the release of the 9F and Fairburn from Bachmann, the Britannia and something else good from Hornby. all of them 'the right stuff' which would have been easy winners just a few years previously.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathan, I thought you might be 'teased'! :jester:   

Just for you, I've snapped some of my teak coaches but to avoid creeping this thread too far, I've put them over here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76979-lets-see-your-teak-coaches/&do=findComment&comment=1847214

• RMweb Premium

T-B-G quote from above....."One RMWebber was a bit miffed that I got mine before he got his but I can live with that!"

No, not miffed, just surprised!

Got it converted to EM yet then?!!

Nope!

You will probably beat me to that one.

Busy every day this week and most of next so finding a few hours for that little task will have to wait.

Got mine today. Lovely loco. Thanks Sandra, Bachmann and locomotion for such a fine model and it arriving safely.

I see it was made/boxed on the 26th of March 2015, got from China to the NRM to mail post box very quickly.

I remember seeing that 500 of the BR ones were made (plain only?), but dare I ask how many of the other liveries were made?

Got mine today. Lovely loco. Thanks Sandra, Bachmann and locomotion for such a fine model and it arriving safely.

I see it was made/boxed on the 26th of March 2015, got from China to the NRM to mail post box very quickly.

I remember seeing that 500 of the BR ones were made (plain only?), but dare I ask how many of the other liveries were made?

The postman just delivered mine, and wow! It looked nice in the various display cabinets I've seen it in, but being able to inspect it up close is just brilliant!

I'm very much looking forward to being able to give it a run, although for now that might just be down to Whitborough Quayside!

Absolutely superb loco, I'm just pondering what sound decoder would do it justice!

Cheers

J