The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Can't touch cider after I was very ill on it many years ago. My own fault for not eating and being new to cider!!

I can quite happily drink German Weiss , Dunkirk, Schwartz bier or even a few Kolsch especially when in Germany

i have to say it, i am a out and out real ale drinker, but i could bost a pint of a good cold German beer right now!

I find Dragon Stout hits the spot if I'm not switching to the cold pale stuff in the heat. Or Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (preferably Nigerian, a guilty pleasure). Good with curry. Real ale round here switches to light golden stuff and the craft stuff - sorry, AndrewC - increasingly moves toward samey hopped IPAs (and the bottles, particularly Imperial Stouts, are way overpriced). I feel a strong, dark brew to make for September coming on...

I would cause mayhem for an Alt though right now, it must be said. Or a nice barley wine.

...talking of different flavours...I wouldn't have given house room to a fruit flavoured beer until a former cellar keeper friend insisted that I try Peach Melba (brewery forgotten) on draught at one of our favourite eateries. It was astonishingly good and will be ordered whenever I see it.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

The loca

yep! great place for beer, and there are some trains there too :yes:

Hasserode does a great dark beer and with the standard gauge plus the narrow gauge steam it's a great place to visit. Changed quite a bit since we first visited back in 1989 though.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

You just cannot put it down! Sorry. Speaking of shows and beers, I have to blow our own trumpet here. Those who have attended our Barrow show will know that our Saturday night revolves around a brew pub. The Prince of Wales at Foxfield. They also stock a large range of continental beers too! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo

No one's mentioned Belgian beers yet, my favourites Chimay Blonde.

don't get me started on the Belgian beers. Delirium Tremens is a fave. As is Kwak (got the proper glass too). I could probably swamp this thread with amazing Belgians. Cantillon anyone?
  • Like 1

The Drax Arms in Bere Regis. Often pop in there with my mate when I visit him in Bere. Here in Norfolk I tend to wallow in Woodford's Norfolk Nog often at the brewery tap Fur and Feather in Woodbastwick. Mrs geoffers is not too keen on me drinking beer - she says it makes me fat - oh come on now!!!

• RMweb Premium

don't get me started on the Belgian beers. Delirium Tremens is a fave. As is Kwak (got the proper glass too). I could probably swamp this thread with amazing Belgians. Cantillon anyone?

I've got a proper Kwak glass too. It's quite fun to spring it on the unwary.

• RMweb Premium

O'Hanlons Port Stout for me if I can get, Bass in the Dolphin on the Barbican, When op norf I'm partial to pint of Camerons Strongarm or Timothy Taylors Landlord failing that the darkest beer I can find upto about 4.8%.

The Euston Tap just outside a station with a similar name usually has a good selection of Stouts and Porters.

SS

• RMweb Gold

Yes the EUston Tap is goos and so is the Bree Louis  whihc is almost as close to Euston and has quite a few dark ales on including half a dozen on gravity plus quite a few real ciders.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

You just cannot put it down! Sorry. Speaking of shows and beers, I have to blow our own trumpet here. Those who have attended our Barrow show will know that our Saturday night revolves around a brew pub. The Prince of Wales at Foxfield. They also stock a large range of continental beers too! Kev.

One of my favourite pubs is that. I used to work in Barrow and live in Broughton and would often call in for a quick pint.

Now where I live if the wind's in the right direction I get the smell of Timothy Taylor's brewing floating past. Lovely.

And if you're in this neck of the woods, I'd recommend the Boltmaker's Arms in Keighley (five minutes walk from the station) or the Fleece in Haworth - both Taylor's houses. Otherwise just sit in the buffet car on the KWVR and watch the workld go past whilst downing a pint or two ...

The trouble with the Bree and it's sister pub the Duchess of Cambridge is having the stillage in the bar means that on hot days like this past week the beer gets way too warm. Almost impossible to keep it at 12c. Personally I prefer real ale served slightly cooler than the accepted norm. 9c to me means I can enjoy it a bit longer before it warms too much. Much colder though and many start to develop chill haze.

Heavy hopped craft beer is soooo last year. 2014 is all about the farmhouse saison and sour styles.

Sorry Paul. While Ringwood is ok I find Piddle to be bloody awful beers. Maybe they just don't travel or don't like being bottled.

• RMweb Premium

I've got a proper Kwak glass too. It's quite fun to spring it on the unwary.

Likewise, along with various others. Mrs Dreyfus worked in Brussels for a few months, and would come home armed with a couple of beers complete with glass. I also am fond of Delirium Tremens - anyone in Brussels, check out Delirium itself, the beer menu covers well in excess of 1,000 beers from various parts of the world.

My personal favourite is Palm...

I also am fond of Delirium Tremens - anyone in Brussels, check out Delirium itself, the beer menu covers well in excess of 1,000 beers from various parts of the world..

2000+ Been there, done that, got the beer list. It has now grown into the Delirium Village. The original basement cafe now has a tap room upstairs, the hoppy loft on top, the Trappist bar next door, the Floris bar across the lane, and another late bar at the end of the lane. Not to mention the Little Delirium on the other side of the Grande Place.

Damn. Need another visit. Suffering withdrawal.