The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

I've noticed that Beck's for sale in the UK which was being brewed in the UK has returned to it's German homeland.

I always liked it but refused to buy the brewed in Northamton/Luton/wherever version.

Bought a couple of 650ml bottles today.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2019 at 18:52, Joseph_Pestell said:

I am currently renovating a pub in Herefordshire (so not much modelling action for a while!). Found quite a few empty casks and kegs including two from Ludlow Brewery. So I took a quick drive up there this afternoon to take them back.

Apart from the beers being good, of interest to us railfans as it is located in the former goods shed just north of the station. About a third of it is a "brewery tap". Very busy this afternoon.

Other aspect of moving here is that one of our two village shops is run by a Polish couple and has quite a range of Eastern European beers which I am slowly working my way through. Mostly very good but the Lithuanian Kriek was a mistake. Far too sweet, they don't seem to have got the point that it needs sour cherries to get the right acidity.

Hi, I hope your pub has not been affected by the floods? My commiserations if so. 
all the best, Dai Davies

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 88D said:

Hi, I hope your pub has not been affected by the floods? My commiserations if so. 
all the best, Dai Davies

Thank you. We are still dry in Marden but most of the roads have been closed for the last two days involving a long trip to get to Hereford (20 miles instead of 5). But a neighbour tells me that there is now one road open again to go south.

I had to cancel a trip to Wolverhampton on Sunday to help SpaceD with his layout. That trip would normally be via Tenbury Wells which, as you will have seen, was very badly flooded. I decided to turn back well before that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Forum Lager by Badger. An easygoing lager with a refreshing citrusy finish. 

3D38EFCF-CE5E-46F6-88A4-45C46B85535C.jpeg

Interesting how many UK breweries are now brewing lagers/pilsners and not pretending that they are foreign. Have not tried this one yet but next time I am back in Dorset I will give it a go. H&W appointed a new brewer a few years back and their whole operation has improved massively under his guidance.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Interesting how many UK breweries are now brewing lagers/pilsners and not pretending that they are foreign. Have not tried this one yet but next time I am back in Dorset I will give it a go. H&W appointed a new brewer a few years back and their whole operation has improved massively under his guidance.

Yes, I enjoyed it although I suppose it’s only really a fancy British brewed version of a European lager. As I mentioned a few days ago, I really enjoyed Schiehallion, and that has become my favourite pilsner. 

I bought this today from the H&W brewery shop; I was actually intending for a Cranborne Poacher as my fifth beer but if I bought a Forum Helles instead then I could get five bottles for a tenner. 

• Like 1

Had a Fursty Ferret (the correct pronunciation is to emphasise the ‘fur’ in a local Dorset accent ;)) on Sunday, and washed down a steak pie from a butchers in Scotland very well. 

Next time I’m in my local Morrisons I’ll have a look for a Hooky beer or two - I hear that Hooky and Hooky Gold are both very good.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 43110andyb said:

After another hard fought 5-a-side game (seems every game is as I get older) from the Saltaire brewery- Saltaire Best 4.4% bitter for tonight’s post match beers. Very nice!

BA810E3E-A439-4A9A-99F4-8559AA1C5621.jpeg

I’ll look out for that one, had their Blonde recently. Where did you get this one from?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

I’ll look out for that one, had their Blonde recently. Where did you get this one from?

It was at our local Morrison’s, certainly not seen it there before so a new addition possibly.

Edited by 43110andyb
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 43110andyb said:

It was at our local Morrison’s, certainly not seen it there before so a new addition possibly.

I have been shopping quite a lot in Morrison's recently as the most convenient supermarket to get to. They seem rather good on beers and ciders. Even their own brand stuff is very drinkable.

Last week they were selling off Black Sheep Pathmaker which I found very nice although I know many do not like these citrussy styles.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

So last night found that several pints of Ringwood brewery’s Forty Niner slipped down quite nicely last night when out for dinner with some friends.

I had a pint of Forty Niner at my birthday meal at our nearest Marstons. A top quality golden ale but unfortunately supermarkets don’t seem to stock bottles of it. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

I had a pint of Forty Niner at my birthday meal at our nearest Marstons. A top quality golden ale but unfortunately supermarkets don’t seem to stock bottles of it. 

Our local Morrison’s has a regular supply so not sure if they have a deal with them to supply exclusively?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 43110andyb said:

Our local Morrison’s has a regular supply so not sure if they have a deal with them to supply exclusively?

I haven’t noticed it in my local Morrisons, but I’ll have a look the next time I’m in as they probably alternate the products on offer. Also looking at ordering some more Schiehallion before everything goes into ‘lockdown‘. 

• Like 2