The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

In a Brewer's Fayre outside Pontefract (got the layout at the show) and there's Black Sheep and Doom Bar on hand pumps, I'll have a Black Sheep, I'm sure a pint went in the drip tray for the pint in the glass, think she thought she was pumping up a bicycle tyre... it's left me with an average pint.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I partook of some Beer from the Bright Tank Brewing Company in Perth..Smalley a red IPA. Not too strong and, for Oz not too expensive!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

Did a bit of a tasting session tonight, accompanied by a steak pie. Started with a glass of Saltaire Blonde (nice and refreshing), then went to a smaller glass of Milk Stout by Black Sheep (OK but a very strong chocolate taste and quite thick) then finished off with Purity Mad Goose. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

1297 by Harviestoun Brewery.  1297 is a £1.49 Aldi exclusive, and its name would suggest that it's only available in Scotland.  Anyway, its a very decent 5.6% IPA, not too bitter, not too citrussy, a bit malty - one of these beers that you're thinking how to describe it and then notice that your glass is empty so you'd better get another one.  Currently my favourite quaffing beer.

1297.jpg.e30beba7d6e6923fecdfefa409d41b1a.jpg

DT

• Like 3

I found the same supply issue with Schiehallion. After trying various places in Perthshire, the one place I managed to secure some bottles from Sainsbury’s in Stirling - inconvenient for me being located in the West Midlands. But I understand that kegs of it can be found across the country, especially in London. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not normally a lager drinker, but Schiehallion is very good indeed - a completely different drink from ghastly Tennents and the like. It's commonly available up here - our local Tesco always has it in stock, for example - but I suspect that you won't often find it south of the border.  I did read somewhere that M&S Scottish Craft Lager is in fact Schiehallion in all but name.

DT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Torper said:

I'm not normally a lager drinker, but Schiehallion is very good indeed - a completely different drink from ghastly Tennents and the like. It's commonly available up here - our local Tesco always has it in stock, for example - but I suspect that you won't often find it south of the border.  I did read somewhere that M&S Scottish Craft Lager is in fact Schiehallion in all but name.

DT

Completely agree. I really enjoy the refreshing taste. I’ve got a feeling that any place south of the border that does sell it will be a farm shop or something similar, as I can’t see any major supermarket in England stocking it. 

I understand that one contributor to this thread several years ago spotted it on keg in a pub near Birmingham New Street - might have to hunt it down.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I haven't been through Helston in a few years.  I haven't had time to stop and appreciate the finer points of life there for somewhat longer. 

Yesterday I had a 45-minute wait between one bus and the next.  The bus stop is conveniently right outside the pub.  THE pub.  The Blue Anchor.  

It must be 10 years since I last called in for a pint of Middle.  Their own-brewed Spingo ales might not meet everyone's taste - indeed my BiL decided both his pints (of 20 years ago and of different beers) were off when they are in reality sweeter brews than some.  

Yesterday's pint was spot on.  This pub doesn't change hands.  I have only known two owners in the past 30 - 40 years.  They keep it real though subtle changes happen.  Middle is still the usual order.  There are more pumps and taps on the diminutive bar than there once were.  I recall on my first ever visit around 45 years ago the beers were served by scooping them up in a pint mug from dustbins behind the bar.  There were bits floating .....  It's never crystal clear but it has come a long way from those days.  And you can still ask to visit the brewery out the back.

You can also now take the stuff away in bottles.  That's relatively new.  So I did and I now have two bottles of Middle to look forward to at some future time and some 300 miles from their birthplace.  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SVRlad said:

Pure UBU, by Purity Brewing Company. 

The perfect accompaniment to steak and chips. anything.

There, corrected.:yes:

My "local" the Spoon's in Bromsgrove always has at least one Purity beer on tap.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1