Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

XXXXX

coachmann

Apologies for lack of updates. I am working to put a crust on the table at the mo and this is likely to be the norm for a few weeks yet. But once I am back in 'shed-mode', progress will be swift with replacing the baseboard top, laying cork and glueing/ballasting track. At least the larger outside shelf-extension has proven to be watertight in recent down-pours, thanks to some water-repelling stuff recommended by PGH of this parish. A Bachmann LMS Inspection Saloon will arrive today so I haven't turned my back on 'modelling' for myself altogether.  :smile_mini2:

If you fit a mini Cam in it you can inspect the outside area when your inside, hhaahha

Well that's what they were built for, wasn't it?

Bodge.

Apologies for lack of updates. I am working to put a crust on the table at the mo and this is likely to be the norm for a few weeks yet. But once I am back in 'shed-mode', progress will be swift with replacing the baseboard top, laying cork and glueing/ballasting track. At least the larger outside shelf-extension has proven to be watertight in recent down-pours, thanks to some water-repelling stuff recommended by PGH of this parish. A Bachmann LMS Inspection Saloon will arrive today so I haven't turned my back on 'modelling' for myself altogether.  :smile_mini2:

You are forgiven.

Provided of course that you provide us with ample photographic evidence to support your claim that you are working to put a crust on the table (by which we infer producing your fabulous models)!

Regards

David

Now that much of the older coaching stock has been built and is out of the way, the decks are cleared for building some modern coaches for Delph Junction. Bachmann Portholes have been dead useful and don't come much more modern for 1953 (yes I have one Mk.I coach!), but I think I am going to enjoy building some much needed Stanier corridor coaches. A rake of Stanier Opens has already been built, as Dave Holt and I wanted to model the same special train that took rail enthusiasts to Delph amongst other places. Right then, let battle commence..... :toclue:

so your not going to recreate the royal trains overnight stay on the Delph branch coach ?

I'll second that question. My ballast is glued down with dilute PVA on cork and MDF.

John P

Sorry to take the thread off topic, but why is this?

Thanks,

The combination of the acid and the moisture in PVA will cause the surface to swell and the effect might not be apparent for some while.  Next time you see "Ellerton Road" (the excellent Scale Seven layout based on Ilkeston) at an exhibition, you might notice that the track is, in some places, less than perfectly level.  if you ask any of the operators why this is, you will get some choice words about the combination of PVA, Cork and unsealed-MDF!!

If you want to see a similar effect even more starkly, just put a couple of drops of acid flux on MDF - it swells before your very eyes!  Just imagine that happening everywhere you solder a dropper wire...  Sealing and painting it will avoid that issue as well.

That is of course not to say that everyone will have the same issue - there are many types of PVA and several types of MDF.  I used PVA to fix the ballast on my MDF baseboard BUT the MDF was fully sealed and painted first!

Hope that helps and sorry to take things off topic and also to take a while to reply to your questions.

Best wishes,

Howard

The combination of the acid and the moisture in PVA will cause the surface to swell and the effect might not be apparent for some while.  Next time you see "Ellerton Road" (the excellent Scale Seven layout based on Ilkeston) at an exhibition, you might notice that the track is, in some places, less than perfectly level.  if you ask any of the operators why this is, you will get some choice words about the combination of PVA, Cork and unsealed-MDF!!

If you want to see a similar effect even more starkly, just put a couple of drops of acid flux on MDF - it swells before your very eyes!  Just imagine that happening everywhere you solder a dropper wire...  Sealing and painting it will avoid that issue as well.

Best wishes,

Howard

Howard

With respect - if you use acid flux on dropper wires or any electrical soldering you deserve to have problems.

(advice from an ex-professional)  That's what resin -(non corrosive) cored electrical solders were designed for !

Gets off hobby horse and goes back to sleep

Best wishes,

Howard

Howard

With respect - if you use acid flux on dropper wires or any electrical soldering you deserve to have problems.

(advice from an ex-professional)  That's what resin -(non corrosive) cored electrical solders were designed for !

Gets off hobby horse and goes back to sleep

Quite right and I don't - but imagine if you did  !!!

BTW, I only found out about the effect of acid flux because I use it for making all sorts of temporary jigs which lie about the work bench for too long - and they do get spilt upon!

Cheers,

I'm a sucker for non-passenger carrying vans and this Hornby LNER CCT( C) arrived an hour ago - thanks to Hattons. I built one a few years back from a kit but I can't find it at the mo! The model carries BR 1949-56 carmine red livery....

attachicon.gifWEB LNER CCT© 1.jpg

I too like CCTs GUV and Syphons.

It will be interesting so see this CCT again once you've "breathed" on it and worked your magic,

Regards,

Dave

Having posted some off topic stuff hereabouts, I though I might throw this one in:-

post-11380-0-53651900-1410106033_thumb.jpg

.. which I think would be on topic.  I would have done it sooner but it took a bit of digging out of the back of the shed.  Unfortunately, I only have the one (it is from the "branch" end of the box) but I do also have the pull-board from behind the frame.

Larry, if you could give these a good home, I would be happy to part with them - especially given that a have a small pile of etched brass kits that you would make a much better job of building than I ever could, I am sure we could do a deal!

Good luck with the project!

Best wishes,

I'd like to put in a word for Saddleworth Museum, who would love to have such artefacts.  The curator is quite railway-minded (in fact he and his brother wrote the book on the Delph Donkey some years ago) and I know Larry has dealt with him in his researches in the past.

I don't think he's as good with kit assembly and painting though....

I am saddened but not altogether surprised by this. The seemingly never-ending debate about computer-enhanced images and their appearance in a myriad of threads was a source of irritation to LG, and by the amount of support he engendered, a fair few other people too!

LG's reasonable request that the number of said images be limited in each thread, or better still, be placed in a separate thread where those who want to see them can, whilst those who want 'just the facts ma'am'  about the model subject in the thread concerned, getting just that, always seemed to attract allegations and character slurs of the vilest sort. The P2 thread descended lower than usual ostensibly due to one individual.

So once again we are without Larry's entertaining and amusing layout thread, and certainly his inspirational and helpful coaching stock thread. He was always ready to respond to questions on 'where, when, wot number?' too!

Ah well, life must go on.

No cheers from Oz tonight, :O

Peter C.

Archived