about time we had an upto date 142?

In light of all the new super detailed and high tec diesel and electric models now being put on the market does anybody else want to see the old Hornby pacer class 142 brought up to modern standards, or even one of the other manufacturers make a completly new model.

The realtrack models 144 shows what can be done but shows hornbies old model up if working together

In light of all the new super detailed and high tec diesel and electric models now being put on the market does anybody else want to see the old Hornby pacer class 142 brought up to modern standards, or even one of the other manufacturers make a completly new model.

No.

This probably isn't a priority for the manufacturers because modellers who want a Pacer have the outstanding Realtrack 143/144, which has the North East, Yorkshire, South Wales and the South West covered. Obviously Realtrack has a head start when it comes to the 142 so it'll probably happen at some point (probably before the Dapol N gauge one appears).

Why are people so against these little units, they have kept several small country lines going for the last 25 years. They are one of these units you either love em or hate em and they are now nearing the end of there working lives due to the regulations regarding dissabled axcess. It would be good to have a model with working lights, a good motor package and well detailed, surely Hornby could look into thisand possibly follow this with a retooled and detailed ex Lima class 156?

Why are people so against these little units, they have kept several small country lines going for the last 25 years. They are one of these units you either love em or hate em and they are now nearing the end of there working lives due to the regulations regarding dissabled axcess. It would be good to have a model with working lights, a good motor package and well detailed, surely Hornby could look into thisand possibly follow this with a retooled and detailed ex Lima class 156?

My comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek!*  Whilst I take the point that they have been the mainstay/ saviour of some lines, they have also got a deserved bad reputation by being used for many services for which they are totally unsuited.

I think you're right that there's now at least as big a gap in the RTR market as there was until Bachmann announced their Class 90 a couple of weeks ago, in a very comparable situation.  I hope that the potential market has its wishes answered in due course.

* 1%

Hi - as posted elsewhere, Ive used the Hornby 153 chassis bits for the 156 underframe, some parts of the Lima moulding can be reused. The Hornby pacer model is rather basic in terms of detailing, but my one, has detailed up rather well, the biggest offender is the "box" that holds the weight. Once removed, youve a nice frame that can be detailed pretty nice, Ill pop up some pics of my Hornby pacer; 142013 in orange GMPTE livery

NL

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Yes Realtrack are currently working on the class 143 models. After those models we then get to find out just what the next class of DMU is going to be - it has been suggested that it will not be a bogie unit. Maybe LEV1?

All the best,

Market65.

My comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek!*  Whilst I take the point that they have been the mainstay/ saviour of some lines, they have also got a deserved bad reputation by being used for many services for which they are totally unsuited.

Is that the fault of the trains though?

They have done a fine job WHEN USED CORRECTLY but because they are having to work services they were not designed for they get a bad reputation which cannot be the trains fault.

Is that the fault of the trains though?

They have done a fine job WHEN USED CORRECTLY but because they are having to work services they were not designed for they get a bad reputation which cannot be the trains fault.

The only correct use for the things is to sit stationary in a scrapyard. Absolutely abysmal from a passengers point of view, regardless of the route.

The only correct use for the things is to sit stationary in a scrapyard. Absolutely abysmal from a passengers point of view, regardless of the route.

So I can assume by your post that you would rather have no train at all than catch a pacer!

I drive a Peugeot 106, it does the job, is reliable and quite comfortable. But I would like a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari, does the fact I would prefer a posher car mean I should get rid of the Pug and walk everywhere until such time as I can afford the car I want?

They do a reasonable job and until such time as better trains are built (or more likely cascaded) we are stuck with them, either accept it or enjoy the walk! :no:

So I can assume by your post that you would rather have no train at all than catch a pacer!

I drive a Peugeot 106, it does the job, is reliable and quite comfortable. But I would like a Rolls Royce or a Ferrari, does the fact I would prefer a posher car mean I should get rid of the Pug and walk everywhere until such time as I can afford the car I want?

They do a reasonable job and until such time as better trains are built (or more likely cascaded) we are stuck with them, either accept it or enjoy the walk! :no:

Are there figures out there which demonstrate that Pacers saved certain routes due to their economy? Even if that was the case there is still no excuse to inflict them on the travelling public in this day and age. Your comparison is slightly skew whiff as I very much doubt your 106 rides terribly, is drafty in chilly weather or has a particularly a poor seating layout. The correct comparison would perhaps be a 17 year old student who'd bought a knackered, rotten, non weathertight 30 odd year old Ford Cortina for £5 because they simply couldn't get anything else, but I tend to think the UK system would have long since been beyond the railway equivalent, if only in regulatory terms.

Thankfully they've never been inflicted on my part of the world (my experience is through flying visits over the years), but if they had been, unless I had a main line connection to catch, then I'd be more inclined to catch a bus or take a taxi than a pacer any day.

Personally, I'm genuinely amazed that the ORR, HSE and travelling public continue to tolerate their use in 2014.

Of course you could also ask why we are still using Pacers instead of replacing them years ago, in my opinion it has nothing to do with the railways and everything to do with the way the railways are financed!

• RMweb Premium

Also the bias in funding for different regions of the railway too.

Bombardier in 1999 exhibited a Turbostar designed to replace the Pacer fleet, but as ever funding wasn't a reality to make it happen.

However this is heading off topic.

Regardless of the politics around the 1:1 scale DMU, the Class 142 is a DMU that and continues to see widespread usage in Northern England, Wales and has been used in the West Country, so potential for a wide audience of modellers, modelling 1985 to the present day. So surely worthy of a new model to match the standard set by the Realtrack 144.

Many a warm dry ride home on cold dark winter night, these units where only supposed to be a stop gap however that stop gap has lasted 30 years. They were designed to be a cheaper unit so where built using off the shelf bus parts, anyone modelling this period and area of the country needs to have at least one.

• RMweb Gold

i used to like driving 142s, you have to have your wits about you during leaf fall through delemere forest thats for sure!

i had a pair of them electrically split from each other when i was a guard, coming round skelton jn the boxes came apart slightly and stopped the train, the driver had a right palava trying to recouple them as they were on the tight curve, he ended up uncoupling them and taking one away off the curve then walking back for the other and coupling them up on the straight

i'd certainly like to see a modern standard 142 released, FNW gold star would be nice as thats the livery on the first one i drove

I may be out of touch with developments, but I recall Realtrack's initial release (post refurb 144/143 on the premise of pre orders and sales thereafter) was to be followed by an as built version of the same, a release I await eagerly.

The smart money suggests 142 after that doesn't it!? Though I have no idea if the underframe is identical btw.

The ride is shocking, but I recollect holidays in West Yorkshire caning in untravelled routes on a Metro rover with fondness. The ride was certainly no worse than the 308 emus!

C6T.

Archived