Andy,

The way I plan a layout is to imagine it's showing the layout at its maximun extent - say 1950. Then if choosing a later period, rationalise it to get the design YOU want.

As Mike rightly says, many modern layouts do have the double line merging into one before spreading out at at a terminus. HOWEVER, the trackplan would have space where the former lines ran and there would be some relationship to the former steam-days layout, if only overgrown ballast.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well.....

• Like 1

Andy,

The way I plan a layout is to imagine it's showing the layout at its maximun extent - say 1950. Then if choosing a later period, rationalise it to get the design YOU want.

As Mike rightly says, many modern layouts do have the double line merging into one before spreading out at at a terminus. HOWEVER, the trackplan would have space where the former lines ran and there would be some relationship to the former steam-days layout, if only overgrown ballast.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well.....

Peter, that's just what I've been doing for the last hour, brilliant, thanks, let me know what you think.

O.K. Guys, this is what I've done, just as Peter above has suggested, I have a taken a 1950 / 60's track layout and then rationalised it as per the South Devon area with the 2nd main lines lifted and showing where the old Goods sidings would have been in Steam Days.

It still has all the same facilities and Goods run round loops and a head shunt that was the old main line.

post-9335-0-95973700-1430335527_thumb.png

• Like 6

O.K. Guys, this is what I've done, just as Peter above has suggested, I have a taken a 1950 / 60's track layout and then rationalised it as per the South Devon area with the 2nd main lines lifted and showing where the old Goods sidings would have been in Steam Days.

It still has all the same facilities and Goods run round loops and a head shunt that was the old main line.

attachicon.gifWHITTAKER STREET 3 and 4.png

Blimey, just done a lot of catching up and things are moving apace. :O

Firstly, belated birthday greetings Andy.  You are now officially retired so no need to feel guilty about not working, did you ever! :jester:

Your plan is starting to come together. Shame about the lifted sidings and wasted space, couldn't they be turned into an engineers yard complete with ballast heaps and jcb loaders, like they did here in Peterborough with the old New England yards.

Google link https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5864566,-0.25737,168m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

post-15323-0-08171200-1430338845_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Andy,

Been looking at some WR examples of junctions near to a terminus.

OK, whilst Carmarthen used to be a through station, it was a terminus in terms of mainline trains. This might be interesting showing the position after rationalisation.....

post-6880-0-50972600-1430339639.jpg

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 3

Blimey, just done a lot of catching up and things are moving apace. :O

Firstly, belated birthday greetings Andy.  You are now officially retired so no need to feel guilty about not working, did you ever! :jester:

Your plan is starting to come together. Shame about the lifted sidings and wasted space, couldn't they be turned into an engineers yard complete with ballast heaps and jcb loaders, like they did here in Peterborough with the old New England yards.

Google link https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5864566,-0.25737,168m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

attachicon.gifwestwood yard peterborough.jpg

Cheers Mick, I did a Virtual Quarry like Eastleigh on Kingsmill so wanted something different this time, but a nice idea.

Cheers.

good idea

But it's a

Bit different to that now with the new depot going in along there by Eastfield box and toysrus

Wonder when the google satellite will take a new photo?

Hmm, had a look on Bing maps, bird's eye view shows the state of the railway from Walton to Peterborough is all rather depressing :cry:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=MMREDR

• RMweb Premium

Andy

I like the lifted track idea.

Taking a step back temporarily to the pre-lifted layout I wonder of there would have been a crossover to allow trains to access the top half of the station from what you show as the headshunt? I ask because I wonder if you could incorporate that the remnants of that lifted crossover - like long timbers - as well (or simply have the out-of-use crossover, possibly with a few bits of now unused rail missing).

Thanks ESS1UK and Peter, The plan of Camarthen looks interesting, and is the sort of thing I have in mind, just need to find a none railway location in Devon to justify a junction Terminus etc that was once quite busy.

• Like 1

Andy

I like the lifted track idea.

Taking a step back temporarily to the pre-lifted layout I wonder of there would have been a crossover to allow trains to access the top half of the station from what you show as the headshunt? I ask because I wonder if you could incorporate that the remnants of that lifted crossover - like long timbers - as well (or simply have the out-of-use crossover, possibly with a few bits of now unused rail missing).

Hi Ray, thanks for the suggestion, I won't do any more planning now until I've been in the Old Potting Shed and tried out my latest plan, put some stock on and see how it looks and just how it would work.

Cheers.

• Like 5

Developing your ideas onto Carmarthen gives us something like this.....

post-6880-0-39325000-1430343545.jpg

Not sure how many platforms are on your plan Andy - is it two or three?

Of course you could imagine that the Taunton - Barnstaple line had remained open and use Barnstaple (Victoria Road) as inspiration.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 4

attachicon.gifFile2008.jpg

Of course you could imagine that the Taunton - Barnstaple line had remained open and use Barnstaple (Victoria Road) as inspiration.

That's looking simple and more prototypical Peter, I wanted to reduce the Pointwork down to a bare minimum and you have 13 on there so about right. I would just swap the Station Building onto the other Platform and change the Crossover. I will have a look at the Map for the Barnstable area.

I just had a look at the Fowey area as well as I will be running the China Clays in and reversing, so one line could be down to the Docks. So a tourist resort Terminus, hence Class 47 and 50's on some Passenger workings as well.

EDIT = Or even something like Bodmin North.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Peter's second plan (post 5561) looks very good and more likely for a secondary line (Barnstaple etc.) whereas your revised plan looked somewhere busier. North Devon is a nice area but a bit quiet. Howver If you were to assume the Taw/Torridge could have made a better port there are some possibilities. 

Don 

I think you are getting somewhere Andy,

Just a though. Remove the stabling point between the mainlines and have it in the grassed lifted track area. It could be the old steam shed modified for use as a loco stabling/ fuel point.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Andy

Belated birthday wishes for yesterday mate. The new plans are looking like a good basis for an interesting layout. Plenty of shunting potential in that little lot. i agree with PCM about the stabling point. Rather than have the sidings lifted, just have them disconnected and make them severely overgrown with the odd small tree growing out the four foot. Theres plenty of locations like that these days. Also you could have a siding out of use with a sleeper and a temporary stop board attached to the top. Where I'm going tonight at Small Heath Caledonion sidings only three of the eight  roads are in use. I'll try and get some pictures if its still light enough.

Cheers

Marcus 

• Like 4

Sorry mate

It's all blending into one this week. Here, there and everywhere and loosing track if you pardon the pun.

It was getting a bit dark when I arrived here so that was the only one I managed to get after I had shunted the train. I'll see what I can get next week. I'm on the 20s on Wednesday and there's a nice disused ground frame disappearing in the bushes at Branston. That might make a nice little cameo especially if you're sidings are disconnected.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifFile2008.jpg

Only thing I would change on that Peter is to reverse the crossover into the parcels platform - that's far too awkward a shunt for the 'modern' railway, we used to like it nice and simple to make the job quicker :)   

• Like 1

Mike thanks for your input yet again, all very valuable stuff, here is my re hash / interpretation of Peters version of Carmarthen, (I HASTEN TO ADD I WILL NOT BE DOING A MODEL OF CAMATRHEN OR ANY PROTOTYPE)

Firstly Peters version again for those who may have missed it..

post-9335-0-15670000-1430492707.jpg

And my tweaked version with alterations as per Mikes suggestions.

post-9335-0-64209900-1430492823_thumb.png

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, looks like you have a plan there my friend, and you can have simultaneous arrival and departures without conflicts. I think those grassed over sidings between the main lines would have a super market on them by now.

• Like 1

Hi Andy, looks like you have a plan there my friend, and you can have simultaneous arrival and departures without conflicts. I think those grassed over sidings between the main lines would have a super market on them by now.

Thanks Jonathan, but think 70's / 80's some land still hadn't been developed yet, but see my next post.