Cheers Guys, Well as some of you may already know I joined the OGOGS, and OMOGS today, (that's Official Grumpy Old Gits Society, and Official Miserable Old Gits Society), so now I can get a badge that let's me yell at pedestrians and Cyclists at Traffic Lights, and also indicate to turn left, but turn right and then do a thumbs up to all the horn honkers.

Re the room / Shed, yes Jeff is right it has been transformed, (again with the help of Lee on Saturday) so its ready to accept two independent Layouts soon and a new thread will be started once I'm 100% happy with it. I posted an Pic on George T's Bishops Street but it was way to ambitious so a re think is taking place as I type, so a bit like Kingsmill. 

attachicon.gifKingsmill 990.JPG

attachicon.gifKingsmill 340.JPG

Here is the cleared room and the plan I put in BS for those that haven't seen it.

attachicon.gifMARSH MILLS (4).JPG

attachicon.gifMARSH MILLS (1).JPG

attachicon.gifBaseboards and track test 003.JPG

I need a re think, I'm looking for a Terminus that can justify lots of freight in and out, possibly and Oil Discharge area and  Parcels platform and also a reason for several Locos to be standing Idle but probably NO Shed. and NOT swamped with track / points etc. but room for it to breath.

Cheers again Guys.

And belated Birthday Greetings from me Andy.

Have you considered a port of some kind or container base to generate container traffic?  Whatever you come up with I'm sure it will be a cracker.

All the very best,

Brian.

Cheers Guys, Well as some of you may already know I joined the OGOGS, and OMOGS today, (that's Official Grumpy Old Gits Society, and Official Miserable Old Gits Society), so now I can get a badge that let's me yell at pedestrians and Cyclists at Traffic Lights, and also indicate to turn left, but turn right and then do a thumbs up to all the horn honkers.

Re the room / Shed, yes Jeff is right it has been transformed, (again with the help of Lee on Saturday) so its ready to accept two independent Layouts soon and a new thread will be started once I'm 100% happy with it. I posted an Pic on George T's Bishops Street but it was way to ambitious so a re think is taking place as I type, so a bit like Kingsmill. 

attachicon.gifKingsmill 990.JPG

attachicon.gifKingsmill 340.JPG

Here is the cleared room and the plan I put in BS for those that haven't seen it.

attachicon.gifMARSH MILLS (4).JPG

attachicon.gifMARSH MILLS (1).JPG

attachicon.gifBaseboards and track test 003.JPG

I need a re think, I'm looking for a Terminus that can justify lots of freight in and out, possibly and Oil Discharge area and  Parcels platform and also a reason for several Locos to be standing Idle but probably NO Shed. and NOT swamped with track / points etc. but room for it to breath.

Cheers again Guys.

Welcome to the Club Andrew! Don't forget that as an Official Grumpy Old Git you are also allowed to groan out loud every time you bend over (sit down, stand up, turn or make any sort of movement whatsoever) and (my particular favorite) glare and look pathetic when people don't give up their seat for you on the bus/train then have a quiet giggle when other people tell them off! Most of all it means doing your own thing and ignoring what other people expect you to do! Looking forward to the new thread! HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY MATE! :sungum: :declare: :declare: :declare:

Regards

Bill

• Like 6

Hi Guys, Cheers again for more good wishes.

I have had a little play with the track plan I posted earlier and just added a spur for the Yard Shunter fuelling Point and again this is where the Fuel Tanks will be shunted into by the Shunter, so even more operation.

Here are a few pics to show how the Plan will look on the board, with lots of room for Greenery front, back and between the exit tracks. Industry along the back by the Warehouse, and a road entrance beyond the Buffer Stops.

post-9335-0-86235100-1430237089_thumb.png

post-9335-0-21564600-1430237118_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-20294500-1430237138_thumb.jpg

I will start a new thread once I'm happy with everything and it will probably be called Whittaker Street as I see there was a Marsh Mills already on here last year by Jack00.

Nothing is set in stone still so if there is still room for improvement then I'm more than willing to take note and contemplate any changes, providing it doesn't involve a hundred points.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Andy I quite liked the stabling yard between the main line and the branch typically where the shed shed would have been but shorted and part of the land sold off. Looking at the plan in post 5518 I would add a second siding in the yard. However it up to you to do what suits you.

Don

Andy I quite liked the stabling yard between the main line and the branch typically where the shed shed would have been but shorted and part of the land sold off. Looking at the plan in post 5518 I would add a second siding in the yard. However it up to you to do what suits you.

Don

Thanks for that Don, I did replace the Stabling point between the exit track after taking the pics and should have photographed it again as it did look right somehow.

I will re do the plan.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, can I throw in my 2p (2d?) worth? If I label your tracks from the top 1-5 with 5 being the "yard". How about putting the platforms in between tracks 2 and 3 and 4 and 5. Track 1 would then be the head shunt for the warehouse and the crossover between 3 and 4 would then be a loco release. You could then have simultaneous arrival and departure on your main line or branch line. Hope this makes sense. Like this.

post-16241-0-63505300-1430240274.jpg

• Like 1

Andy... for what it's worth, it will only be exactly right when you've created a track layout that you're happy with and allows you to run things the way you want to. We're just interested bystanders, it's your baby.

• Like 1

For what its worth I think I would have stabling somewhere near where the warehouse is and do a warehouse/goods depot away from the station. I doubt that the goods depot would be allowed to run all of its trains via an active passenger platform.

Edit: Just noticed that you had put the stabling point back down the other end. Much better there.

Edited by RBE

• RMweb Premium

I see Clive's at it again...

Btw, pardon my ignorance, but is there supposed to be a facing point to the right of the signal cabin (SC)?

And finally, Andy, I agree with Pete. If the layout does what YOU want it to do and gives you plenty of enjoyment well, that's all that matters!

Jeff

• Like 1

... and also allow greenery between the exit tracks to the Fiddle Yard. ...

From me too A HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Andy, and the best wishes for many great years to come, YOUNG MAN !

(Mind, I'm only nine more than you…)

You speak of "Greenery"? Really?? Fantastic !!!  This means, you will sow grass and plant bushes and brambles, right? Don't hesitate - do it before next fall !

If so, you can make - and amend - track plans as you like, nothing can go wrong.

Armin

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Belated birthday greeting Andy. I wish I could remember what it was like to be 65 - and I'm only just over 66½! But then I wish I could remember a lot of things!

I'm not going to dip into the track arrangement discussions other than to question whether the main platform - presumed to be the longest - would prototypically be the location for the main station building.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the photos, I think a single wide platform would look better, as at New Brighton or West Kirby (and Bacup). At both locations there were run round loops to each platform, doing this will enable you to shunt the sausage factory warehouse and then get the engine the right end of the train without having the train blocking the access to the platforms. In the illustrations below I have moved the warehouse side tracks out a bit.

post-16423-0-56989800-1430250459_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-82351500-1430251164_thumb.png

A second track at the warehouse will enable you to shunt the empty and full wagons without blocking the station.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

For what its worth I think I would have stabling somewhere near where the warehouse is and do a warehouse/goods depot away from the station. I doubt that the goods depot would be allowed to run all of its trains via an active passenger platform.

Edit: Just noticed that you had put the stabling point back down the other end. Much better there.

Cav, When you say the other end did you mean alongside the Yard, or between the exit tracks?

I see Clive's at it again...

Btw, pardon my ignorance, but is there supposed to be a facing point to the right of the signal cabin (SC)?

And finally, Andy, I agree with Pete. If the layout does what YOU want it to do and gives you plenty of enjoyment well, that's all that matters!

Jeff

Yes Jeff, Clive built a Layout called PIG LANE many years ago.

Modern Railways have facing Points so no problem.

Happy birthday Andy!

This is just my opinion, but there appears to be something of a "pinch point" by the signalbox. Hence no parallel moves can take place. Somehow it just doesn't look protypical to me.

Sorry.....

Thanks Peter both for your observation and wishes, yes I see what you mean about a pinch point.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

The pinch point is fairly prototypical for the diesel age (the blue and later diesel age that is).  Equally the original layout to serve the piggery sausage factory warehouse would I think be perfectly ok - not very different from large numbers of modern day sidings and using a local pilot loco it could run round elsewhere.

I must admit to being rather amused about the tank cars with fuel for the local pilot - I reckon a 45 ton tank car would probably hold enough fuel to keep the average diesel shunter going for around 6 months, probably longer if it's not working 24 hours a day :O 

• Like 1

The pinch point is fairly prototypical for the diesel age (the blue and later diesel age that is).  Equally the original layout to serve the piggery sausage factory warehouse would I think be perfectly ok - not very different from large numbers of modern day sidings and using a local pilot loco it could run round elsewhere.

I must admit to being rather amused about the tank cars with fuel for the local pilot - I reckon a 45 ton tank car would probably hold enough fuel to keep the average diesel shunter going for around 6 months, probably longer if it's not working 24 hours a day :O 

Evening Mike, I wondered that about the Shunter fuel, so that's another Point less to worry about, and as for the Distribution Warehouse I have a cunning plan, I will draw it out and publish later, (well actually its TWO PLANS but you'll see what I mean).

Cheers.

• Like 4