Looks great Mate, do you spray your stock with varnish after weathering?

Jack.

Hi Jock, yes with Humbrol Acrylic Mat Varnish, BUT NOT LOCOS anymore unless the widows are fully masked up.

I did a mates Heljan Western and the glazing fuzzed up on me, its never happened on Bachmann or ViTrains but I'm more careful now.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Have not been on RMWeb for a while and although I'm sorry to see the end of Bitton I actually had an idea it was coming so it was not a great shock to me. Give the next project a really good thinking before you decide mate. All the best whatever you do.

Will you be going to or attending the Derby show? I am hoping to go as its being held in the old 'CRANE SHOP & MILLWRIGHTS SHOP' of the lamented Derby Works for the first time. This was my first department when I transferred my apprenticeship from Glasgow Works to Derby Loco' Works way back in 1972 under the auspices of Charlie Monk the ass-ole of a foreman who disliked me and the feeling was indeed mutual! He is the reason I am self employed, I only have myself to argue with Hahaha!

Hi Andy,

Have not been on RMWeb for a while and although I'm sorry to see the end of Bitton I actually had an idea it was coming so it was not a great shock to me. Give the next project a really good thinking before you decide mate. All the best whatever you do.

Will you be going to or attending the Derby show? I am hoping to go as its being held in the old 'CRANE SHOP & MILLWRIGHTS SHOP' of the lamented Derby Works for the first time. This was my first department when I transferred my apprenticeship from Glasgow Works to Derby Loco' Works way back in 1972 under the auspices of Charlie Monk the ass-ole of a foreman who disliked me and the feeling was indeed mutual! He is the reason I am self employed, I only have myself to argue with Hahaha!

Hi Mike, yes George and I are going on the Sunday, and as for Charlie, well I hope he doesn't read Bitton, ahhaha, still he did you a favour really, now your your own man. 

• Like 3

Hi Mike, yes George and I are going on the Sunday, and as for Charlie, well I hope he doesn't read Bitton, ahhaha, still he did you a favour really, now your your own man. 

Not sure which day we will be going but as my mate John works on Sundays it seems probable we will be going on Saturday, sorry mate would have been nice to see you again.

• Like 1

On a more serious note, I've been busy today doing some weathering for a friend.

attachicon.gifMarks 37 and Tanks 004.JPG

attachicon.gifMarks 37 and Tanks 007.JPG

attachicon.gifMarks 37 and Tanks 009.JPG

attachicon.gifMarks 37 and Tanks 010.JPG

attachicon.gifMarks Coal Wagons 002.JPG

attachicon.gifMarks Coal Wagons 004.JPG

Now I've cleared all my Spray equipment away its tidy up time.

those tanks look great :paint:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Looking at the Kirkby Luneside 2 Garage Project blog I see that Bitton has well and truly Bitton the dust.

I look forward to your current project.

Cheers, Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Looking at the Kirkby Luneside 2 Garage Project blog I see that Bitton has well and truly Bitton the dust.

I look forward to your current project.

Cheers, Peter

Peter, I find it funny that Bitton's present state of dis-assembly/renewal is more apparent by looking in my thread than in here! 

At least Andy seems to be pulling things together for whatever his next creation is.

Jeff

Cheers Guys, Well as some of you may already know I joined the OGOGS, and OMOGS today, (that's Official Grumpy Old Gits Society, and Official Miserable Old Gits Society), so now I can get a badge that let's me yell at pedestrians and Cyclists at Traffic Lights, and also indicate to turn left, but turn right and then do a thumbs up to all the horn honkers.

Re the room / Shed, yes Jeff is right it has been transformed, (again with the help of Lee on Saturday) so its ready to accept two independent Layouts soon and a new thread will be started once I'm 100% happy with it. I posted an Pic on George T's Bishops Street but it was way to ambitious so a re think is taking place as I type, so a bit like Kingsmill. 

post-9335-0-77776100-1430162189_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-45607100-1430162258_thumb.jpg

Here is the cleared room and the plan I put in BS for those that haven't seen it.

post-9335-0-12742900-1430161635_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-89963300-1430161650_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-69025700-1430161674_thumb.jpg

I need a re think, I'm looking for a Terminus that can justify lots of freight in and out, possibly and Oil Discharge area and  Parcels platform and also a reason for several Locos to be standing Idle but probably NO Shed. and NOT swamped with track / points etc. but room for it to breath.

Cheers again Guys.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday Andy!

I thought you were already an honorary member of both of those societies  :jester:

As for the space... You've got all that lovely bare board again. The plan you've shown certainly does look ambitious so I can see why you want to knock it back a bit. Though I'm sure it would give you lots of shunting opportunities! With your new direction though you don't need to get it all into one space... as you're planning on having two layouts. So I think you should make sure you leave enough board space to be able to get lots of scenic detail in as all your other layouts have shown how good that is. Would also mean you'd have more opportunity for those pictures that you keep asking other people for :)

I look forward to the new thread, as however you decide to do it (to suit the taste of the only person that matters... the new OAP) you always seem to work so fast that I can learn a dozen lessons in a week's worth of your postings!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 3

Many happy returns Andy, did you get any railway related goodies? :senile:

RE the new plan, as has been said go for whatever you want, and TBH complexity is not everything; simplicity may be the key.

Looking forward to more, but just take it easy buddy.

Jack.

Many Happy Returns mate, and many of them, sorry I'm a bit late but I've been in hospital today having a couple of 'nuclear' bone scans so only just looked in! Remember - it's only a number HaHaHa!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning Guys, Cheers again for all the Birthday wishes, and NO, NO Train stuff for my Birthday but MONEY and that will help fund the new project so not complaining about that at all. At least there were NO SOCKS, PANTS, TIES, Etc.

• Like 6

Hi Cav, continuing the conversation from George's Bishops Street,

I have 12ft x 2ft wide at the fiddle yard end opening to 3ft at the door. The main entry has to be nearest to the walkway as I will be using a swivelling sector plate and that will make the most use of the tracks available. The Sector Plate will be about 5.5ft long.

post-9335-0-16432000-1430211859_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-98715800-1430211904_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Cav, here's a first draft plan, I will go out later and throw some track down and see how it fits, and also how it looks balance wise, yes its 14 Points and I could probably do away with two if needed but I can live with 14 if it works.

post-9335-0-48636400-1430213064_thumb.png

• Like 4

Single track main lines? Really with all that room? Double track main and a single track branch maybe (replace lifted track).

Im also not keen on the warehouse and oil depot positions and the fact that they run straight out onto the mainlines meaning any shunting in them takes up main line time.

Of course again this is only my opinion. I will have a crack at my version over lunch and see how you feel about what I have in mind.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Single track mainlines have a significant visual advantage of looking longer than double track - as well as needing fewer points.  And even where modelled as if they were once double track in the past I think the visual impact would still be better than double track.

There is of course a noticeable absence of trap points on the outline sketch above but they could be added later if full prototypical realism is being sought.  The stabling sidings seem to me perfectly sensible - depending on the period chosen there;'s no need for fuelling facilities and it's good to see a stabling point which doesn't have a shed - the latter are becoming increasingly unusual in this day & age.  If anything - and it's a personal thing - I would be inclined to reduce the stabling sidings from 3 to 2 but that is - as I've said - very much a personal view.

I realise that both the warehouse and the oil depot will have to be shunted off the running lines but again, nowadays, this is particularly unusual (not that it was necessarily unusual in the past either) although it would constrain the frequency of, say, passenger services.  But overall it should provide a reasonable amount off shunting interest.

• Like 4

Cheers Peter for the Birthday wishes and also to you and Cav for your inputs, I agree now re looking at it, I would take the Warehouse off the Platform Road and the Loco Stabling off the run round loop and possibly in the bottom left hand corner.

post-9335-0-88459000-1430216750_thumb.png

EDIT =  I may add some lifted tracks to the top exit track for some variety.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

Single track mainlines have a significant visual advantage of looking longer than double track - as well as needing fewer points.  And even where modelled as if they were once double track in the past I think the visual impact would still be better than double track.

There is of course a noticeable absence of trap points on the outline sketch above but they could be added later if full prototypical realism is being sought.  The stabling sidings seem to me perfectly sensible - depending on the period chosen there;'s no need for fuelling facilities and it's good to see a stabling point which doesn't have a shed - the latter are becoming increasingly unusual in this day & age.  If anything - and it's a personal thing - I would be inclined to reduce the stabling sidings from 3 to 2 but that is - as I've said - very much a personal view.

I realise that both the warehouse and the oil depot will have to be shunted off the running lines but again, nowadays, this is particularly unusual (not that it was necessarily unusual in the past either) although it would constrain the frequency of, say, passenger services.  But overall it should provide a reasonable amount off shunting interest.

Hi Mike, I've just read this and thanks for your input, I have reduced the Stabling point and the Fuelling would just be for the Yard Shunter, I have also moved it to fill an otherwise empty corner in the bottom left, and also allow greenery between the exit tracks to the Fiddle Yard.

I visualise that the Platform 1, with the Station Building on will be just for DMU and 2 would be for Parcels, 3, would be the main Platform as its the longest at about 6ft, although I will only be able to run a 4 coach Local Loco Hauled Service behind a 33, 50 or 47.

• Like 4