Martin Finney retired

MPR

Guest Isambarduk

"Is it time to lock this thread?"

Why?

"And now the 7mm team has broken cover"

No they have not.  We know only that there is a team and that they will have a website that (probably) will include Finney7 in the address.  This thread would be a useful place to give a link to it when somebody spots it.

David

I concur with David, there is no point whatsoever in locking the thread - when the range is announced it is an ideal place to put the news, and a link, and the thread will then die a natural death.

best

Simon

Guest Isambarduk

"It's finney7.co.uk"

Ah, well done!  I'd tried looking up that domain name (or so I thought) on whois * but I couldn't find it - I must have mistyped something as the domain was registered by the 2nd February, 2016.

David

* See: http://who.is/whois/finney7.co.uk

Edited by Isambarduk

It's finney7.co.uk - recently registered to someone called Stephen

That's odd. I had always thought that the rules of .co.uk domain registration required an individual to disclose a full name. along with verification. Certainly becomes a problem when a registrant tries to change/sell the domain.

Interesting that it appears a US purchased domain (using Namecheap!).

Well that's great news indeed for those that missed out on an A3, A4, V2, or Duchess

The whole range deserved a new owner and let us hope that the original quality is maintained or even improved upon

Prospect of brand new models is mouth watering unless its another GWR thingy

Incoming !!!!!!

Isn't one of the prerequisites of running a successful mail-order business is that you have to publish your name, address and telephone number where anyone who is likely to be a customer can read it?

Yes, but the very nature of today's internet mentality is that you want to find out everything about a person whilst all the while hiding yourself.

I'm sure those details are readily available from the source you quoted, but is it really sensible to post someone's name, address and telephone number on an open forum?

Whois is very open to anyone, including most internet robots (search engines). That is the whole point of it.

Similar "tracking" information can be obtained regarding ltd companies and theiir directors from the Companis House website. Displaying the same common knowledge information here is chicken feed in the scale of personal information available on the internet. Most of which is readily made available by individuals themseleves through twitter, facebook, linkdin and many other sources.

One also presumes in the fullness of time the site will go live along with similar contact details and even an email address so that orders or enquiries can be made.

For the purpoe of the latter the information could be seen as relevant to this community of prospective buyers.

Yes, but the very nature of today's internet mentality is that you want to find out everything about a person whilst all the while hiding yourself.

If you want to keep a secret don't tell anyone and don't write it down or make a recording (internet or audio) of it. (Rule 1: Espionage For Dummies)

.... this page will self-destruct in 5 .. 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... too late it is already on Google ...

Edited by Kenton
  • Like 2

I imagine they want time to be prepared before the orders and questions start. Ducks in a row, that sort of thing.

I guess there's quite a lot of ducks to arrange:

Kit ingredients: etches, castings, machined parts, wire, cast resin parts, printed instructions, boxes, plastic bags & bubble wrap. Labels & sticky tape.

Tooling: drawings, photo tools, 3D masters.

Assets: drawings, sketches, reference books

Commercial: Website, catalog, price list, costings, supplier contracts, PayPal, payment card facilities

Business: companies house registration, vat registration, employment if relevant, including PAYE, NI, Pensions, H&S, ad nauseam.

Operations: incoming goods, storage, picking lists, packaging, wrapping, delivery, postage

The kits themselves are the easy bit...

Great fun, but probably a tad stressful right now. I wish them well!

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

My understanding is that it is a group of like minded 7mm modellers who have banded together to take the 7mm range on.

Once again, people on the internet are clamouring for instant and full information. Next thing people will be complaining that an instant and full website didn't appear within 24 hours and that the kits are not in stock instantly.

The guys are probably still sorting out all the details as to how they are going to run the business. Some may be the public face of the business and some may wish to remain in the background, behind the scenes.

Do we really need all this cloak and dagger detective stuff with people digging around the net to find out who is responsible?

Why can't we just be glad that these excellent kits are not vanishing from the scene and show just a little patience.
  • Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

"My understanding is that it is a group of like minded 7mm modellers who have banded together to take the 7mm range on."

Yes, that was also my understanding from talking with a couple of modeller friends at Kettering.

"Do we really need all this cloak and dagger detective stuff with people digging around the net to find out who is responsible?"

No we don't need it but does it do any harm?  We are only searching on the internet, we're not tapping phones or stalking anybody; it's just natural curiosity and liking to know.

I really do wish them all the very best with their enterprise and I hope that they receive the full commercial support that they deserve from us as 7mm modellers - I intend to.

David