Hattons announce OO Gauge King

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

So I can still get 6000 from hatttons ?

So dos I cancel my order with steam, are hatttons requiring customers contact them regards their original 6000 order are they reinstating them automatically ?

Regards

I would suggest ringing Hattons and asking them. Do not assume anything will be done automatically.

I am very happy Hatton's renegotiated with STEAM and will be selling KGV as they orginally planned. Personally I don't care about the certificate, brass bell, special packaging or limited edition things from STEAM. All I wanted was the loco and now I can get it as I  had already preordered it. I am actually pleasently surprised they will be allowing customers who did not already preorder it to do so, as well. That is great customer service. And, as far as I remember, KGV does come with a bell, I guess just not a brass one, and since I have no plans on trying to ring it I think the plastic one will be just fine.

As I pointed out to the staff at hatton's when I rang them up, it wasn't just the 30 quid more for the STEAM version, the postage will be very high, as well, unlike Hatton's shipping prices.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Just wondered whether 6023 & 6024 will have the modern air brake pipes on their bufferbeams. Also, will the mass of pipe work beneath the running plate in front of the cylinders be present? Understand if you cannot confirm or deny any of this.

Regards, Ryan

Hi Dave,

Just wondered whether 6023 & 6024 will have the modern air brake pipes on their bufferbeams. Also, will the mass of pipe work beneath the running plate in front of the cylinders be present? Understand if you cannot confirm or deny any of this.

Regards, Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Whilst not confirming or denying the salient point of your mail, I can say that each King model version , will be as accurate as possible within the constraints of tooling and use ability.

How's that for fence sitting?

Cheers

Dave

Hello,

I think this might be the time to pre-order.  I have a questions: is there a weight estimate for the locomotive?  I have 1 in 50 grades on my (P4) railway and for 12-car trains I need about 700 grams on the drivers.  I suppose going for tungsten weights would be somewhat exotic but as long as there is space in the boiler, or relocating the motor to the tender, I should be ok.

John Fitton

So you'r going to scrap the mechanism completely ?  The heaviest loco I have is a Hornby Rebuilt West Country at just under 400 grams, and it certainly will "pull the skin off a rice pudding" !, it'll start a rake of at least 16 "very mixed vintage" coaches on a curve.

The best loco I have for haulage though is ..... a Hornby "new chassis type" ie loco drive ... 2P 4-4-0 at 160 grams.  This will pull at least 18 coaches (I gave up adding more) starting on a curve, but it does have traction tyres on the leading driving wheels.  I guess these may not be necessary as I'm sure the real ones struggled with about 8 on ? 

Hello,

I think this might be the time to pre-order.  I have a questions: is there a weight estimate for the locomotive?  I have 1 in 50 grades on my (P4) railway and for 12-car trains I need about 700 grams on the drivers.  I suppose going for tungsten weights would be somewhat exotic but as long as there is space in the boiler, or relocating the motor to the tender, I should be ok.

John Fitton

Hi John,

Can't give a working weight for the model yet as things will alter as we get closer to release, and then we should know.

Balance will be everything, along with a smooth rolling /tracking pony truck.

The motor is loco mounted but weight should be more than adequate for more needs I would think.

Watch this space

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ryan,

Whilst not confirming or denying the salient point of your mail, I can say that each King model version , will be as accurate as possible within the constraints of tooling and use ability.

Cheers

Dave

Lol thanks for that Dave. I really am looking forward to these locos. Are you able to tell us what stage of the production process you are up to? CAD, Tool production etc

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ryan,

Cheers

Dave

You're not related to Ron Dennis by any chance are you? :jester:

Best of luck with these and I cannot wait to see the models!

You're not related to Ron Dennis by any chance are you? :jester:

Best of luck with these and I cannot wait to see the models!

lol hi mate,

Thanks for the kind words, and I know that those who are keeping the faith, will find themselves with a superior product via Hattons.

Cheers

Dave

Lol thanks for that Dave. I really am looking forward to these locos. Are you able to tell us what stage of the production process you are up to? CAD, Tool production etc

Hi mate,

Nothing I can say as of yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if my clients are preparing a rather large 'splash' in regards of press releases as I type this.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

One more query, what kind of box will this have? A DJM with Hattons branding or a Hattons with DJM branding? I ono it's a wee way away yet.

That question would merit a thread of its own.

One more query, what kind of box will this have? A DJM with Hattons branding or a Hattons with DJM branding? I ono it's a wee way away yet.

A strong box, for a big loco ;-)

We havnt discussed box colours or details yet i'm afraid.

cheers

Dave

A strong box, for a big loco ;-)

We havnt discussed box colours or details yet i'm afraid.

cheers

Dave

Hello, Dave, everyone.

And in the Blue corner we have Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan and ViTrains;

And in the Red corner we have Hornby...

On a serious note, could we please have a box suitable for storage and transportation of the model; something very similar to the original Heljan one would be ideal. All things being equal, this feature could swing the purchase choice your way if Hornby insist on packing their King in their current, standard packaging (pretty poor, in my opinion). Any comments?

Cheers,

BR(W).

Hello, Dave, everyone.

On a serious note, could we please have a box suitable for storage and transportation of the model; something very similar to the original Heljan one would be ideal. All things being equal, this feature could swing the purchase choice your way if Hornby insist on packing their King in their current, standard packaging (pretty poor, in my opinion). Any comments?

Cheers,

BR(W).

I'm pretty confident that it won't be the box that swings it, merely the model!

Hello, Dave, everyone.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Presumably a Brunswick Green box is called for....

Hello, Dave, everyone.

Cheers,

BR(W).

I prefer the current Bachmann and Hornby boxes. You can fold/flatten the outer cardboard exterior and store that away leaving the loco in a compact, well protected plastic inner. I store and transport many more locos with this system. Heljan and Dapol eat too much real estate.

Archived