RMweb

Hornby king

B15nac

That does look rather good..... boiler bottom plate seems to have slipped a bit, but it's light years away from Hornby's 1978 effort "King Edward I".....

Just need to see how the Hattons/DJM one finally materialises.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That does look rather good..... boiler bottom plate seems to have slipped a bit, but it's light years away from Hornby's 1978 effort "King Edward I".....

Just need to see how the Hattons/DJM one finally materialises.

Absolutely.Is it me but do those cab seats look like they fold up. ;)

• Like 1

Absolutely.Is it me but do those cab seats look like they fold up. ;)

I'm looking at that crosshead, and wondering if it could be sawn through lengthways and opened out so that EM/P4 users can slide the small end of the connecting rod in between.

The 'big ding-d*ng' (as we called back in the early '60s), looks brilliant! It really cries out for etched plates. Almost tempted.... almost!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited as I can't put an 'o' where the asterisk is apparently!!Why???

Edited by 45568

• RMweb Gold

Edited as I can't put an 'o' where the asterisk is apparently!!Why???

Aliens...  :jester:  :jester:

Sorry couldn't resist that one, more than likely a browser issue causing that.

Back swiftly to the King, looks pretty much like a King and if you read the article on their FB page it clearly states that there are still tweaks to be made.

• RMweb Gold

I think this is serious competition for the DJM\Hattons model. I was expecting something more akin to the Duke of Gloucester but this appears to be to the very highest Hornby standards. Add in the proven Hornby chassis arrangement compared to the unfamiliar multi wheel drive proposed by DJM and the fact that its £10 cheaper than the pre release Hattons price for their model plus hopefully available from the retailer of your choice. Looks like Hornby have produced a winner

The important issue is the front bogie.Seems ok in this image anyway."Big ding ######" ? Never heard that expression before.Wonder where that came from.

Ian,

It was local slang amongst spotters around Tyseley/Snow hill in the late '50s/early '60s. We saw most of the Kings, ( I seem to remember 2 and 16 were the rare ones (Laira based), but 6000 could easily be distinguished by that bell!! Ding d0ng  bell, hence the 'Big ding/d0ng'.

Pure nostalgia of course!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

It was local slang amongst spotters around Tyseley/Snow hill in the late '50s/early '60s. We saw most of the Kings, ( I seem to remember 2 and 16 were the rare ones (Laira based), but 6000 could easily be distinguished by that bell!! Ding d0ng  bell, hence the 'Big ding/d0ng'.

Pure nostalgia of course!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Of course...another case of spotters' venacular. One that always mystified me...and still does....was the cry from assembled spotters at the north end of Crewe station on the approach of a Duchess hauled express...."Semmy ! "

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Of course...another case of spotters' venacular. One that always mystified me...and still does....was the cry from assembled spotters at the north end of Crewe station on the approach of a Duchess hauled express...."Semmy ! "

Hopefully it's referring to the shape of the smokebox and not something else :jester:  :jester:  

• RMweb Gold

I'm assuming that the version displayed in the RM image will in fact be the Locomotion Models commission ( gloss paint job ).In which case,given the advanced "press release",it is likely to be first to the market place and will have quite a few queuing up to order. Smart marketing by Simon,Brian and Sandra.It is both visually stunning and competitively priced.

"Semi" as in semi-streamlined? Refers to a Coronation with the streamlined casing removed but with a dip in the top front of the smokebox to accommodate the casing as depicted by Hornby R3195. Later replaced by cylindrical smokeboxes.

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully it's referring to the shape of the smokebox and not something else :jester:  :jester:  

However,by that time,( late 50's,early 60's ) all Duchesses sported the revised smoke box and the squashed front of the original streamliners was history.Maybe the nickname just stuck around a bit longer.Old habits die hard.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

I see what you're driving at. Habit on the way to tradition, I suppose.

To this day,I can still hear those excited cries.But I still can't understand why they didn't shout " Duchess ". Perhaps because the name Duchess was applied to comparatively few and in any case my spotting territory wasn't LMR...originally,anyway.

However,by that time,( late 50's,early 60's ) all Duchesses sported the revised smoke box and the squashed front of the original streamliners was history.Maybe the nickname just stuck around a bit longer.Old habits die hard.

But didn't they still retain the gap in the front footplate?

... I still can't understand why they didn't shout " Duchess "...

Perhaps because 'duchess' was then fairly widely applied to the wife? Cockney rhyming slang, Duchess of Fife, and thus duchess, dutch, my old dutch, etc.

In the context of more modern behaviours, we might not have used 'Streak!' to greet an A4. A King was a steamroller among the fraternity I mixed with, reference to the ineptly engineered bogie. "Went to Old Oak, saw some steamrollers and carseholes."

bigherb: "Beware of people who know less than they think." That would be me, then!

I've squinted at Hornby's handrail knobs and decided that they seem to be in order. In the cab, I see what I took to be damper handles, absent in the CAD of the Hatton/DJ King.

Coach bogie's helpful picture at 405 shows the damper handles close to the cab side sheet, where they would be hidden on the Hatton/DJ CAD. Another detail variation?

It looks to me as if Hornby has left the odd depiction of GWR green behind but I'm sure the production versions will not be gloss. The same shade as the NRM model but in a rather more subdued sheen perhaps? I'm intrigued.

"... the ineptly engineered bogie."

Nock records that the draughtsman found that it was very difficult to fit inside plate frames under the inside cylinders, consistent with making the frame of adequate depth and came up with the steamroller bogie. "This curious arrangement was submitted to Collett who, to the designer's surprise, immediately accepted it."

Of course, the ineptitude probably refers to the springing.