Hornby king

B15nac

• RMweb Gold

bigherb: "Beware of people who know less than they think." That would be me, then!

I've squinted at Hornby's handrail knobs and decided that they seem to be in order. In the cab, I see what I took to be damper handles, absent in the CAD of the Hatton/DJ King.

Coach bogie's helpful picture at 405 shows the damper handles close to the cab side sheet, where they would be hidden on the Hatton/DJ CAD. Another detail variation?

It looks to me as if Hornby has left the odd depiction of GWR green behind but I'm sure the production versions will not be gloss. The same shade as the NRM model but in a rather more subdued sheen perhaps? I'm intrigued.

The release for the NRM will have a gloss finish..

I’ve been in the shadows of this forum casually observing the excitement over the forthcoming kings and the speculative Hornby vs. Hattons debate, safely in the knowledge I would buy …. Neither.

For the Great Western enthusiast there is a lot on the (distant?) horizon and I personally have a wish list of about £800.00 worth of product – now nearer £1000.00 including the Bow End coaches – that does not feature in my roster. I have two of the existing Hornby Kings; to me they look like Kings and run well and I am content with them, I was confident that spending £160.00 on another was not going to happen. The 47XX, streamlined railcar, Earl and others were a greater pull on my disposable income.

However, for me those RM pictures suggest a game changer, a real flagship model. Nothing that I am waiting for looks as if it is going to come to market very soon (except perhaps my Earl) and it could yet be the case that the King comes to Stourbridge if it arrives in the shops at a time when there is nothing else to buy.

But which one?

To this day,I can still hear those excited cries.But I still can't understand why they didn't shout " Duchess ". Perhaps because the name Duchess was applied to comparatively few and in any case my spotting territory wasn't LMR...originally,anyway.

As one of the regular platform Enders at crewe, we only ever referred to the class as a "Semi"...... My era being late 50's early 60's.

Could never understand why my dad referred to them as Duchesses, but he wasn't a spotter, he just fired and drove them as a top link 5A man all his working life.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This looks terrific, this really does drive a stake through the heart of design clever and shows Hornby are right back to their best. Well done Hornby.

My feeling from day one in this saga was that both DJM and Hornby would produce a good effort and that there wouldn't be much between them. Looking at this and the CAD images in the DJM thread, even if one model is better than the other it is only going to be an edge and both companies look like they'll produce a wonderful effort. Happy days for GWR fans.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those pictures are stunning.

I agree with jjb, if DJM deliver then there will be little more than nit-picking between the two models. Which is great news for everyone.

I wonder if the difference might be more marked in detail terms if DJM use the factory they have used in the past?  That particular factory seems to have a very good record when it comes to turning out very highly detailed models and if they maintain that standard on the Hattons 'King' then it will truly reflect the intricate detail we have seen on the CADs;  the proof of the pudding will be in the eating as JJB has said.

• Like 2

Either way there will be two very fine models of the King. Hornby look set for the end of the year and I suspect Hattons will be the end of 2016 at the earliest. The DJM King is much more finer and sophisticated than the J94, using some N gauge techniques and pushing the boundaries. The CADS for DJM imply some very fine individual pipping, less than a hair width, which presents some serious challenges.

That said the Hornby still looks very good, up there with their Castle, A4 and A1. Very fine models they do not cry out for improvements. The only blunder Hornby made for me was limited choice. I would have launched 10 liveries and given the lot a TTS option. No sign of aggressive marketing from Hornby here giving Hartons a fairly clear field.

My personally, I already have King George V, albeit somewhat basic and will be 20 years old next year. Rather than replacing it with a modern namesake (the model still works like new), I have decided to go for King Edward II.

Edited by JSpencer

Who's to say that they aren't keeping alternative liveries / numbers / names for later release?

Hornby will doubtless do a trickle of releases over the years. No idea what Hattons will do, although their to date is many liveries released at once and then move on to the next class. That could change.

I don,t think Hornby have tooled up King Edward II as preserved and I am missing a King in exactly as preserved condition.

Well they never did with their Grange release.  

Robin, I haven't checked my catalogues, but were Bucklebury, Paviland and Overton Granges all announced together?

The Grange fell into the black hole at the heart of Hornby's manufacturing crisis.  It will be interesting to see if they resurrect it. (It makes me wonder where the tooling was and whether they have recovered it - which might be part of the reason there were no new releases.)

We've only seen three GWR liveried castles too - Tintagel and Caerphilly (early Collett) and Wellington (Hawksworth).  I remain frustrated with the manufacturing quality on my Collett Castles, though to be fair the only obvious defect on Caerphilly is the inclined fall plate.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Hornby have only done the GW shirtbutton liveried Grange .I've rebadged two into GWR livery but wouldn't it be great if Hornby did one for everybody.

Ah yes - Hardwick Grange. I forgot that one. So four Granges and four Kings announced (not counting the Locomotion 'glossy' version of KGV.

I remain confident that they will do more Kings eventually.

The photographs of the glossy livery look very nice. Particularly the shiny black and the use of a green that does not look like the more muddy olive colour Hornby has been using lately.

It makes me wonder what the production versions will look like and whether the special Locomotion version will be similar to the hand-painted (I presume) version you shared from Railway Modeller and that the regular versions will continue to use the same paint as say "Caerphilly Castle".

• RMweb Gold

They've actually done more than 4 Granges...

GWR (shirtbutton) Plain Green: Hardwicke Grange, Llanfair Grange

BR Black Early Crest: Derwent Grange, Frankton Grange (Weathered)

BR Lined Green Late Crest: Resolven Grange (Weathered), Overton Grange, Bucklebury Grange & Paviland Grange (Weathered)

Id like to see 6000 at Shildon. Certainly better than the Southern heap they are bringing up for the Autumn gala. Question is... will it fit in the doors!?

If not on their way already, 6000 is due to be sent back to Swindon along with 3440..............unless Shildon can arrange a brief visit enroute!

Mike Wiltshire

Shame to hear the King might be leaving York. I always thought that its presence in the great hall was an excellent ambassador for the Western region at the NRM. If Truro is to be going too I suspect that its return to steam will be longer than some might have hoped for. 

As for the model if things continue at this rate, Hornby must be pleased that they are getting their model out first before the DJM one. I would think some might go for the first one available... 

• RMweb Premium

Some people will doubtless go for the first one available as you say Black Hat. I am planning on several versions of both. Hopefully the preserved ones by DJM, will be totally accurate in the ways of shorter chimneys etc as claimed by Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby will doubtless do a trickle of releases over the years. No idea what Hattons will do, although their to date is many liveries released at once and then move on to the next class. That could change.

I don,t think Hornby have tooled up King Edward II as preserved and I am missing a King in exactly as preserved condition.

It all depends on what you call 'exactly as preserved condition'.  The NRM version of 6000 would appear to be precisely that and is therefore a model of the only truly preserved 'King' in its 'as preserved and returned to mainline running condition' and therefore not matching its detailed state when in BR service (I'm not sure exactly what condition the Steam/Hattons/DJM 6000 will portray without doing a bit of delving).  

The two restored engines are of course different but Hattons list 6023 in 'as preserved' (i.e. in reality 'as restored') condition.