Thorburn's

themagicspanner

Very Impressive,  I will have to have a try of foamex as I was thinking of starting with DAS, but your efforts have made me think foamex would be easier and less messy!  What type of couplings do you use?  I'm about to start weathering/laying track on my P4 shunting layout and I can't decide on 3 link, or put normal magnets or an electromagnet underneath but I need to decide before I stick it all down lol.

Cheers

Thanks Mike,

Ian Robinson's work convinced me to take a look at Foamex. Initially I had tried with the mounting board you get readily in art shops but found that to be ok for mocking up. Any scribing was a desaster. Foamex is a much denser product which is faced with a fairly tough layer on both sides. It's great for carving and scribing and takes paint very well. It's also availible in q number of thicknesses. The granary is 3mm throughout for the walls and a 1mm shell for the roof.

DAS Clay is great stuff but it's harder to work with and has a tendancy to curve as it dries.

I'm using AJ coupling wich are easy enough to make with the jig. Mounting them is fairly straight forward although I've not tried a bogied wagon yet. It's nice having that hands free operation and you don't have to stop the wagon at the magnet to uncouple meaning no 'dance' and being able to drop it anwhere.

I'm always on the lookout for new P4 layouts on here. Do you have a thread?

Mike

Edited by themagicspanner

Thanks Mike,

Ian Robinson's work convinced me to take a look at Foamex. Initially I had tried with the mounting board you get readily in art shops but found that to be ok for mocking up. Any scribing was a desaster. Foamex is a much denser product which is faced with a fairly tough layer on both sides. It's great for carving and scribing and takes paint very well. It's also availible in q number of thicknesses. The granary is 3mm throughout for the walls and a 1mm shell for the roof.

DAS Clay is great stuff but it's harder to work with and has a tendancy to curve as it dries.

I'm using AJ coupling wich are easy enough to make with the jig. Mounting them is fairly straight forward although I've not tried a bogied wagon yet. It's nice having that hands free operation and you don't have to stop the wagon at the magnet to uncouple meaning no 'dance' and being able to drop it anwhere.

I'm always on the lookout for new P4 layouts on here. Do you have a thread?

Mike

Thanks I will check out his thread!  I will check out the AJ's for handsfree coupling, I didn't want anything that would require damaging a model to fit (So I could easily return it to stock if required) and I dislike the uncoupling dance.

Iv'e not got a thread up here yet,  I will do hopefully over Christmas so I will let you know when I do.  Just waiting for the ability to purchase the new p4 rtr class 24 as that seems a nice easy way to get into things and then I have to think about layout scenic ideas etc..  Lot's to do! lol

Evening Mike,

The latest incarnation of the warehouse looks superb! I'm now wondering about the use of foam board, although it may be a waste if I'm going to cover it with bricks/brick paper. I think the shed at Hurlford, which even in 00 scale and reduced in length is very large, it would require too much scribing because of the irregular size and shape of the sandstone blocks it is built with.

The last black and white photo is exceptional - thanks for sharing such inspirational modelling with us!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks Jock.

I quite like that last one too although it does remind me that I need to fit the ballance weights and weather the wheels on that 08...

Even for a large shed like the one you're going to model I think the effort of scribing would be worth it and you'd probably be surpised at how little stonework there actually is.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Bloomin' 08 is on the blink. It's started cutting out when running at slow speeds which is pretty annoying considerring that's what it needs to do all the time. Probably going to treat myself to a new one after Christmas and swap the body over. Pity there aren't many out there these days, even on the second hand market.

Does anyone know if the new versions that are coming in march are updated or just a re-run/re-livery of the current model?

Modelling wise the left-hand end of the layout is coming together nicely with only a few things to do. I've added the cutting either side of the bridge and should have those grassed up today. I think thios helps alot with the ballance of the layout.

DSC_0739_zpszom4k2lt.jpg

Also, the granary is nearing completion with just some gutterring, ridge strips and the air vent on the roof to do.

DSC_0734_zpsitvtlv46.jpg

Here are some other shots taken when the light wasn't too bad.

DSC_0733_zpstipgmchl.jpg

DSC_0731_zpsge9sq1dj.jpg

DSC_0730_zpsy4vlxfuf.jpg

DSC_0724_zps0nkt4mdn.jpg

Must try to get that 26 weathered.

Mike

• Like 12

Morning Mike,

My Clan motto is 'Sero Sed Serio' - 'late but in earnest' and so I'd like to wish you and your family a wonderful festive season from my wife Joanna and myself.

Thanks for sharing your superb craftsmanship with us,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Afternoon Mike,

I missed out on New Year celebrations this year as I had a hernia operation on the 31st. but wanted to send my best wishes for a prosperous 2016 with plenty modelling to please your followers,

Kind regards,

Jock.

A lack of any real daylight means I've not managed to shoot a wee video. Sorry.

I have managed a couple of sessions with the static grass 'tea strainer' and a large bunch of unknown twigs for creating the scrub areas either side of the overbridge.

Took these on my phone in poor light so the quality isn't great:

2016-01-05%2017.24.43_zpsyevxylyz.jpg

2016-01-05%2017.24.15_zpsbob7j2ju.jpg

2016-01-05%2017.24.07_zpsjii5opgx.jpg

Mike

• Like 9

The light's been really poor and my desire to plan any more bushes has been non-existent today so here are a few experimental photos taken with my Go-Pro.

GOPR0045_zpsefuywlum.jpg

GOPR0041_zpsmokqbj67.jpg

GOPR0039_zpsukx26prv.jpg

GOPR0038_zpspjbhzw8g.jpg

GOPR0034_zpspjcjlza8.jpg

GOPR0033_zpsrq1ek0ms.jpg

Somehow the third photo has a sense of space way beyond what is really there.

Mike

• Like 10

Superb photos, the atmosphere is incredible! Keep up the good work.

So realistic Mike, I especially like the ones with reflections showing in the pools!

Keep them coming my friend,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks very much gents.

Today I moved the layout to another room to get the best of what little light there is at the moment.

Here's the result...

DSC_0743_zpsaodunmgt.jpg

DSC_0744_zps7nyatahc.jpg

DSC_0752_zps2qndgvpn.jpg

DSC_0753_zpsok4jdw0r.jpg

DSC_0755_zpsfejscpfj.jpg

DSC_0761_zpsyhvdps7r.jpg

DSC_0765_zpszb4gs2ar.jpg

DSC_0774_zps1leaxpwd.jpg

DSC_0778_zpss3utkjxm.jpg

DSC_0786-2_zpslz6jxs8q.jpg

DSC_0786_zpsznsq2xa7.jpg

Mike

• Like 12

Thanks Mike,

Yeah, the light was much better today.

The Ambis stretchers aren't to bad to bend - I think the instructions make it sound worse than it is. Mind you, looking at mine they do display a bit of 'wonk' and they are missing the bolt head overlay.

Mike

Fabulous layout, I grew up in Coatbridge, and this layout reminds me of many neglected branches that went into scrapyards, engineering companies and I worked in a Tube Mill so the bogie bolster with the tube load is very familiar.  You have completely captured the atmosphere of those lines.

Jim