Thorburn's

themagicspanner

And,. before I forget, the Class 26 now has P4 wheels courtesy of the Alan Gibson conversion kit. Very straightforward. The only real challenge was getting the pickups to touch the backs of the flanges.

Has anyone got experience of mounting AJ to diesels with snow ploughs mounted to the body? Just wondering what to do as I'm imagining the ploughs will foul the coupling as it swings with the bogie and body mounting the coupling would lead to problems on corners (not that I've got anything tight).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm just pondering the AJ mount with ploughs question too. I think that while ideally you would bogie mount the coupling the best option here might be to attach to the chassis. I've a couple of (EM) locos done that way before I realised that to bogie mount should be better. They work OK, although never really tried them on any tight curves.

Thinking about it I guess steam modellers do most of theirs in this way.

So, to round off a perticularly productive day here's what i decided to do to fit the AJ coupling to the chassis of the Class 26.

The view from below showing the bent up AJ superglued to the underside of the cab.

2015-02-14220026_zps9a2ca03d.jpg

And a couple of views from the front showing the coupling passing between the struts that support the snow ploughs. I put the coupling off to one side an bent it back into line so that the 3-link would hang down as it should.

2015-02-14215946_zps5e9d1ffa.jpg

2015-02-14220032_zps8f27b5f9.jpg

Just the remaining pipes to put on before I weather this one, which I've been looking forward to for quite a while. I'm interested to see how my brush only techniques work on the larger panels.

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Lovely layout, simple but very effective. The buildings and scenic work are particularly special. Just a quick question, what are the dimensions of the layout? Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread but it seems from the plan you posted a while ago that is about 6' by 18" - would that be about right?

Cheers,

David

I'm no expert on couplings but they look interesting and nicely done, well done Mike.

Paul,

These are the staple of 'finescale' 4mm modelling. Very discrete, especially once they've been blackened. They have delayed action meaning that you can drop a wagon anywhere after it's been uncoupled and they uncouple when being propelled without having to stop so there are no unrealistic double stops when shunting.

The only thing is that they are fairly fiddly to set up well and awkward to use on bogied wagons. They don't work well in OO as there is to much slop between the rails and the wheels, meaning that the couplings can quite easily miss each other.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Lovely layout, simple but very effective. The buildings and scenic work are particularly special. Just a quick question, what are the dimensions of the layout? Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread but it seems from the plan you posted a while ago that is about 6' by 18" - would that be about right?

Cheers,

David

Thanks David. Glad you like it.

The layout is 1850 long by 450 deep, so yes, it's near enough to 6' by 18".

Mike

Afternoon Mike,

I wondered if, now that the DAS has been spread out in the yard for some time, have you seen any evidence of shrinkage or cracking around the trackwork?

Superb neat work on the Bill Bedford W irons - I guess that he might produce them for 00 as well. Off to his site to check!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock,

Good to see you back here.

I haven't noticed any cracking but i didn't really try to cover large areas at any one time.

All of the Bill Bedford W-irons can be used for OO as there isn't any change in the axle length. Dead easy to build too as there's no soldering - just bend along the lines.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I have been looking in most days, but now I've mastered the 'topics I follow' system, I only check when I see that there has been some action! I have to say that everything you have done so far has been inspirational, but I'll have to stick to 00 due to financial constraints - I've got quite a bit of SMP track, a few points kits and stock in that gauge and can't really justify replacing it at the moment.

So it looks like when proceeding with the clay, small areas at a time might be prudent! The W irons get even better with no soldering required!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• 2 weeks later...

Fancying making a proper start with weathering the Class 26 so I've been scouring the internet for some images of 26037 in action.

This one looks pretty close to what I'm after, taken 6 months before withdrawal from service.

7407930930_78e12ca16e_c.jpg

26037 PO 3-4-93 by vincentminto, on Flickr

Love the door that looks like it's been a donation from something with a dutch livery.

Mike

Edited by themagicspanner
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

In a rather disappointing state of affairs there hasn't been much happening down at Thorburn's.

To make up for it I thought I should post a couple of pictures of the 26 now that it can move under it's own steam...

2015-03-13%2020.28.21_zpsklsjmvla.jpg

2015-03-13%2020.28.47_zpsbyieryhs.jpg

The next job on the list is to make a start on the loading bay wall.

Mike

• Like 12