Thorburn's

themagicspanner

• 2 weeks later...

The light wasn't bad yesterday so I got the camera out and started snapping. Found that I wasn't really happy with the colours so here is a selection of black and white shots.

A couple of shots looking from the granary towards the end of the sidings. Just a shame that the shed was off it's moorings.

DSC_0510_zpsqtdoib4o.jpg

DSC_0508_zpsengixejj.jpg

Class 26 037 hauls a load of scrap past the pipe load waiting in the old siding.

DSC_0506_zpsfmcdzutn.jpg

DSC_0505_zpsxr05luth.jpg

Here are a few of shot I'm particularly happy with as they capture the atmosphere I'm going for.

DSC_0501_zpsa75xbzi8.jpg

DSC_0500_zpsmtmdzo1p.jpg

DSC_0499_zps0ef8h3cg.jpg

DSC_0490_zpsjgv6pd36.jpg

DSC_0488_zpswqalbqy3.jpg

Finally, a general wide shot of the sidings.

DSC_0495_zps6my30whd.jpg

Mike

Edited by themagicspanner
  • Like 8

Hi Mike,

Afraid I'm still awaiting funds and space in the garage to get started on cutting ply, but to keep my modelling interest up, I've built some wagon/coach kits which I posted on 'Lunester Asylum' some time ago. I've now started to draw out a version of the bothy which stood between the coaling stage and ash pits at Hurlford. I'm scaling from a couple of photographs, using the counting the bricks method! Are you getting back into doing some modelling yourself, or still too busy working? I love the last set of B&W images - very atmospheric, thanks for sharing them.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks folks.

Started modelling again this week as I've got some time off work and I've turned my attention to the long neglected left-hand end of the layout.

For a while I really wasn't too sure of what I wanted to do at the headshunt end. One thought was to keep it fairly open and not really make a scenic break - just put a metal gate over the line and call that the extents of the puzzle. The other was to have an overbridge to form a proper scenic break so that I could run trains off the scene with a fiddle stick.

I've plumped for the second option...

Having tried DAS clay for the unfinnished granary and polyfilla of ply for a first (unsuccessful) version of a masonry bridge, I decided to try foamex. One word to say about that: amazing.

Here are a few shots of what I've done so far.

DSC_0673_zpstdenen0l.jpg

DSC_0674_zps2cblqyw5.jpg

DSC_0680_zpsblc2qipr.jpg

I think I'm going to build up embankments on either side of the bridge to help take up some of the space.

DSC_0690_zpsvvjptryt.jpg

Here's a sample of what the stonework will look like once I've washed in a mortar colour and wiped it off of the faces of the stonework.

DSC_0691_zpsijje5tam.jpg

Mike

• Like 14

Jock,

It is. Foamex is very easy to scribe. My technique is to 'draw' everything out with a scalpel blade and then go over it again with a scribe to get enough depth for the mortal fill.

I'm pretty convinced that I'll be starting the granary again using this method and some etched brass windows.

Mike

Neil, Paul,

Thanks very much.

One of the other areas I've been working on recently is between the two sheds along the back of the layout.

'Work' consisted of a bit of corrigated iron fencing made from the Wills skylight (something like that) sheeting, some 'branches' taken from an unknown plant and some chopped up leaves to give that autumn feel. I think these new additions help to pull things together and break up the backscene.

DSC_0681_zpsvlhhlqnb.jpg

DSC_0682_zps4obt3fmo.jpg

DSC_0685_zps8iatcsem.jpg

I've also spent a bit of time gluing down the sheds and I'll be able to start blending them in when I get the time and inclination...

Mike

• Like 6

The light wasn't bad yesterday so I got the camera out and started snapping. Found that I wasn't really happy with the colours so here is a selection of black and white shots.

A couple of shots looking from the granary towards the end of the sidings. Just a shame that the shed was off it's moorings.

DSC_0510_zpsqtdoib4o.jpg

DSC_0508_zpsengixejj.jpg

Class 26 037 hauls a load of scrap past the pipe load waiting in the old siding.

DSC_0506_zpsfmcdzutn.jpg

DSC_0505_zpsxr05luth.jpg

Here are a few of shot I'm particularly happy with as they capture the atmosphere I'm going for.

DSC_0501_zpsa75xbzi8.jpg

DSC_0500_zpsmtmdzo1p.jpg

DSC_0499_zps0ef8h3cg.jpg

DSC_0490_zpsjgv6pd36.jpg

DSC_0488_zpswqalbqy3.jpg

Finally, a general wide shot of the sidings.

DSC_0495_zps6my30whd.jpg

Mike

Mike

Just had a thought (dangeroos im told by wife) an idea for another building could be a loading dock and warehouse for farne trout and salmon that would perhaps give a reason to run refrigerated vans.

Gary

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update about lots of progress...

Mark III of the granary building is nearing completion - built from foamex around the geometry of commercially availible windows, this version is less faithfull to the prototype but much better from a construction point of view. I put that down to a lesson learned.

Sorry about the poor quality of the photos - the light was pretty poor today.

DSC_0712_zpszfobaayz.jpg

Here's a closeup of the masonry and win,dows.

DSC_0703_zpszitb4r8z.jpg

A new addition which has made it's way down to Duns from Dunbar (thanks to a visit to the Falkirk show last weekend).

DSC_0692_zps9bmtlvhb.jpg

DSC_0711_zpsah5tciu8.jpg

Lastly, nothing quite like a gratuitous reflection shot...

DSC_0707_zps5vpwozhb.jpg

Mike

• Like 12

Hi Mike

A great collection of photographs. You've created a layout with fantastic atmosphere. I especially like the B/W shot with the POAs reflected in the puddles

The new granary looks really good and it was interesting to read the comments about foamex, which I've never used but am now definitely tempted to try.

Regards

Alan

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I'm pretty pleased with they way that things are working out now with my new found skills in Foamex.

I've also managed to complete the fitting of the uncoupling magnets so everything works these days (mind you I only have one wagon with droppers!)

Getting to the stage where I'm starting to think about my next project...

Still plenty to do on this one mind.

Mike

• Like 2