Thorburn's

themagicspanner

Jock

A wee bit more black and it should be there for your use.

Been thinking about where to position a diesel tank for fuelling the shunter. Nothing fancy - just a tank on top of a couple of brick supports. Somewhere behind the main line out of the way of the sidings perhaps.

Any thoughts.

Mike

NO it's YES...

Anyway.

I've been thinking about what building I'm going to have at the back of the scene. Right from the start I had thought it would be the typical corrugated iron type of shed that's typical of a steelwork fabricator's yard. I've been playing about with a few bits of foam board and some Slater's Plasticard and came to the conclusion that it was just going to turn into the same generic looking shed that you see on every other layout, so it got me thinking...

ThorburnsBuilding_zps472a4730.jpg

This is the old granary building that stood at Duns station and is now in Thorburn's yard.

I don't know why that hadn't been the plan from the start.

Mike

• Like 1

That's the beauty of the P4 standard - near scale flangeways make a huge difference to the look of the track.

There's a cracking EM model on here call Shenston Road but I think the slightly wider flangeways spoil what is, particularly in the photo I linked to, a wonderfully convincing scene. The poorly constructed crossing at the front of the scene doesn't help either, mind.

Anyway - I'm not trying to start a gauge war.

Mike

Since deciding to model the granary I've decided that I'll have to procrastinate a little as buildings aren't my forte, so I've been continuing to build up the rubbish at the front of the layout. A couple of old pipes that look like they were just pushed from the back of a wagon, some sheets of corrugated iron and some pallets in various states of disrepair have joined the old sleepers.

Here are some black and white shots of the 08 (still balancing) as it moves a BDA into one of the sidings.

2014-09-21191902_zpse9bd9ec7.jpg

2014-09-21191920_zpse6aa7d3a.jpg

2014-09-21191936_zpse2bd4aa1.jpg

And here are some close-ups of the debris.

2014-09-21191945_zps0067473e.jpg

2014-09-21192002_zps9450cfb2.jpg

Still in need of bedding in and obviously the glue is still to dry, but I'm pretty happy with the balsa pallets.

Mike

• Like 9

Cheers Paul,

Nothing like a bit a of black and white photography to cover a multitude of sins...

Rather excitingly, I just got an email from Ultrascale to say that my wheels have been completed. I could be propelling wagons by the end of the week.

Maybe I should try to build the jigs for the AJs.

Mike

• Like 2

Morning Mike,

If you aren't too keen on buildings, you could always cheat and go with one of Justin's downloads from Model Railway Scenery. I think his warehouse could be adapted to a low relief background building. He is a nice accommodating chap who I'm sure would be delighted to help you even with bespoke items - it might be worth contacting him, his adverts often show at the top of the pages on here or otherwise its www.ModelRailwayScenery.com.

Keep up the good work, I love the clutter.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock,

I'll resist the temptation to cheat. Last night I made a test piece of foam board with a skim of DAS so that I can try out scribing masonry - I think that's the way ahead.

If I'm happy with that I'll try making the abutments and wingwalls for the bridge over the exit.

Mike

So, the DAS on foamboard was not a success. The clay shrunk and the whole thing bent. Need to have a rethink...

Finally got the wheels for the 08, so it doesn't need to sit precariously on the turnout any more. There are a few issues with the running performance as I think either the quartering or the length of the tie rods is out slightly, causing binding and the drive wheels to lift the chassis slightly. I've run it with the motor disconnected and the effect is still there. I ran out of time last night but my plan is to try running it un-powered with various degrees of connection between the rods and the wheels to see if I can trace the bother.

On the scenic front I've been fairly busy expanding the muddy are at the front of the board and added a puddle.

Here's the offending loco and the puddle.

2014-09-28181303_zpsf883cf1a.jpg

Unfortunately, the water material I've used doesn't stay as nice and reflective once it's dry but it does give an idea of the effect I'm trying to get.

Mike

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

Nice work on the track and 'grotty' ground works! Very effective.

One suggestion on the stone work / brick work for your buildings. I've used tile grout applied to either a plasticard or foam-board odd plywood base. Because you are not using water, the covering does not have a tendency to shrink. Once applied allowed to dry and sanded flat, the stones / bricks can be carved. You will need to dampen a small area at a time to carve as the tile grout is too hard otherwise. I've used this for the bridge on my layout (Orchard Road) and also buildings (Burrington Arms).

The puddles are great as well!

Cheers Mudmagnet.

I'll have a shot with the grout. On Tarbhit I used Polycell Onefill for the cobbles and sea wall but found it to be both hard to get in the right places when wet and a little on the soft side for scribing - often losing some of the intended detail.

After a second unsuccessful attempt with the Javis 'water' I decided to try a different approach to the puddle. At the moment I'm repairing a 1 mm thick sheet of perspex with acrylic paint to represent the water. This is a technique that I've seen in a few places, most notably Marc Smith's 'Cashmores'.

Mike

• Like 1

if you want the water to be more reflective sometimes using silver like they do on mirrors might prove of value, or mixing it with silver and black mixed. This would not be a non reflective grey which is called silver...it must be an actual silvery finish like fore instance rail match polished steel which is better than their aluminium as it has dark properties as well as a reflective finish. 

Hope this is of interest. 

Must say added crafty clever as the palette of colour you use looks very realistic

Cheers guys,

Small jobs appear to be getting done at the moment. For some reason I jumped out of bed this morning keen to make a 5' high fence for the bottom of the embankment.

Here are a couple of shots of it before it was planted:

2014-10-05100801_zps20ecdb07.jpg

2014-10-05100825_zps5e97ad0d.jpg

And a couple of it in situ:

2014-10-05103303_zpsd4b14080.jpg

2014-10-05103326_zps5b669f38.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I was doing an internet search for this that and the other thing and found a wonderful thread on this site about Sutton Manor Colliery. It was the inspiration behind the puddles and what I hope will be suitable clutter. I particularly like the stuff sitting up against the fence in the fourth shot.

I've even managed to build the AJ coupling jig and a couple of test couplings. Maybe the next job is to make the mounting jig and get them on some wagons.

Mike

• Like 5